[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was invited to work on a short story for an upcoming anthology,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: piccl.jpg (540 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
piccl.jpg
540 KB, 2560x1440
So I was invited to work on a short story for an upcoming anthology, one based around old folk tales/myths/fairy tales/legends. I was told a preference would be given to non-Western folk tales and legends, and due to my experiences working in China and speaking Chinese I chose a legend from that area.

My question is a rather simple one: should I use the traditional Chinese name system (last name first, referring to one another by last name until people get to know one another) or do you think it would be too confusing for Western readers? I don't want to bug the editor about, as I was lucky to get the invite when the call is also open to the public.

What do you suggest?
>>
Argh, I put so many typos in that post, here goes nothing:

*the anthology is folk tales retold in a sci-fi setting
*last name first, referring to one another by last name until further aquainted
*I don't want to bug the editor about it

My first drafts, as you can tell, are always atrocious. So much editing x.x
>>
I don't think the last-first order will be confusing, as long as characters' first names are said a lot afterwards, or you say something silly and explicit like "Qingqing, daughter of the Gao family." I'm a dramafag so my opinion might be skewed, though.
>>
In my writing on China I use the Chinese name system. It's not that difficult to adjust to when you're reading, I find, and it's only a slight cultural detail that adds a lot to how you depict your character's relationships. Go for it.
>>
>>7984410
>I was told a preference would be given to non-Western folk tales and legends
I am thoroughly surprised

But for your answer I would say use the traditional naming system. The Russian translations kept their naming conventions and I think it would be gay if they didn't.
>>
>>7984500
So was I!

>>7984422
>>7984488
>>7984498
Thanks for the input, I think I'll do the last-first order. The characters aren't going to get to know each other too well in the short time the story lasts (the original is less than a page) so I think it'll add an emphasis to the eventual betrayal in the end. Thanks!
>>
>>7984410
Stick with the theme. If the theme is set in China, you should use chinese name. Using western names just sounds ridiculous.
>>
>>7984410

thats a cozy image.
Do you think that ennui is an ineradicable feature of our existence?
>>
>>7984557
I know right, the image also makes me feel really comfortable for some reason. I think it's because of what you said, it makes you think that no matter how far we'll make it we'll still be humans. I don't remember where I read that ennui is an an ineradicable feature of our existence because there needs to be a contrast with so the opposite can make sense too.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.