[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. First post ever on /lit/. Just finished "Stoner"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 400x650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 400x650
Hey guys. First post ever on /lit/. Just finished "Stoner" and wanted to know what you geniuses thought of it.
>>
>>7979952
Grey.
>>
my thoughts on it havent changed since the last stoner thread about 6 minutes ago
>>
>>7979975
Yea but I didn't read the last one since I didn't want the book spoiled. Just give me a quick run down of what it was about on a deeper level
>>
>>7980078
A fairly interesting piece of early 20th century literature comparable to the works of Willa Cather, Butchers Crossing, and The Land Breakers. A rather depressing meme-book that flirts with above-average quality with exceptions regarding his relationship with his wife and department head and the last chapter, which foresees the coming of "feels" culture, ie neo-sentimentalism. A fine book that clearly appeals more to our time than the time it was written in, hence the constant spamming it receives in this cesspool.
>>
>>7979952
Was Edith raped by her Father as a child?

What was the relationship between Lomax and Walker?

Did Finch and Stoner's friendship last purely as a result of the guilt/sadness they feel about the early death of Dave Masters?

Is it the case that, outside of Stoner's decision to attend University and become a teacher, he never actually manages to break away from his own stoic agricultural labouring background?

To what extent is Stoner to blame for Edith's descent into craziness?

What was the deal with Old Sloane?
>>
>>7980100
>Was Edith raped by her father as a child?
did I miss something when I read this book? where does it imply this?
>>
>>7980100
>Was Edith raped by her Father as a child?
Nope. She did have a troubling childhood though.
>What was the relationship between Lomax and Walker?
Never really explained. I always thought that Lomax had a weird connection with Walker because they both had deformities.
>Did Finch and Stoner's friendship last purely as a result of the guilt/sadness they feel about the early death of Dave Masters?
Yes, mostly.
>Is it the case that, outside of Stoner's decision to attend University and become a teacher, he never actually manages to break away from his own stoic agricultural labouring background?
Yes, he dies just like his parents.
>To what extent is Stoner to blame for Edith's descent into craziness?
He was a bad husband as she was a bad wife.
>What was the deal with Old Sloane?
Stoner first saw death up close.
>>
>>7980092
this is why i divorced my wife
>>
>>7980100
Very interesting. Stoner drove Edith into madness. Maybe Stoner gave us the biased version of the story and he was subtly psychologically fucking with everyone the whole time.
>>
>>7981502
This is one of the great thing I've read a few times about Stoner - you could write an equally heart-wrenching novel from the POV of Edith or Lomax
>>
>>7980092
(you)
>>
>>7980100
>Was Edith raped by her Father as a child?
top kek but no.
>What was the relationship between Lomax and Walker?
In Walker, Lomax only saw himself and was blind to all else. It's actually quite ironic since cripples only want to be treated as normal human beings and Lomax, a cripple himself, saw in Walker only that he was crippled and thought he was in need of protection in academia, even though he wasn't as bright as Lomax thought he was.
>Did Finch and Stoner's friendship last purely as a result of the guilt/sadness they feel about the early death of Dave Masters?
I think the death of Masters certainly chained them together, but in time they really became friends. I think Dave's death had a greater effect in Stoner than Finch and Finch was feeling a bit guilty about not feeling as bad as Stoner and tried to make amends to himself by taking care of Stoner in the University.
>Is it the case that, outside of Stoner's decision to attend University and become a teacher, he never actually manages to break away from his own stoic agricultural labouring background?
Yes.
>To what extent is Stoner to blame for Edith's descent into craziness?
I think the blame goes to her parents. She was basically raised to be someone's servant.
>What was the deal with Old Sloane?
he was proto-stoner
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.