[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people on this board who haven't read Don
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1441050182056.jpg (160 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
1441050182056.jpg
160 KB, 600x709
>there are people on this board who haven't read Don Quixote, Divine Comedy nor the Iliad
>>
>>7977968
That's me! But I have read The Critique of Pure Reason.
>>
I really detest the use of 'nor' here.
>>
>>7977968
did you read them in their original languages?
>>
Still trying to figure out what translations to read.
>>
>>7978015

Have you learned at least three other languages XDDDD!!
>>
>>7977968
But i'm literally a subhuman, I never had the powers to read such tomes :(
>>
>>7978015
except the iliad for obvious reasons
>>
>>7978010
I'm with you on that one.
>>
>>7977968
>posts image set in republican Rome
>doesn't ask if people have read Livy, Polybius, Appian, and Sallust

Plebs

>>7978038
Pleb
>>
>>7979183

>Livy, Polybius, Appian, Sallust

>not Catullus, Vergil, Horace, Cicero

Pleb. I mean Sallust is breddy gud and Livy has his moments but Polybius? Appian? Seriously?
>>
I'm still working through the Greeks, OP. Give me time. All the plays and histories... I'm loving it. Looking forward to reading Cervantes, Dante and Shakespeare after getting through the Greeks, the Bible, and other ancient shit
>>
>>7979280
have fun m8
what are you reading currently?
>>
>>7977968
I read Divine Comedy (Inferno) almost every month. It's quite easy because i'm Italian. Purgatorio and Paradiso are good, but too deep in my opinion. As Schopenhauer said, when Dante was writing about paradise and purgatory, he couldn't describe them well, because such things doesn't exist in the world.

Also Iliad and Odyssey in Greek. (I did classical studies in High school) I must admit, i prefer Iliad because Achilles, but Odyssey is overall a better work.

>>7979246
This anon knows it. Cicero, Vergil, and Horace are very good ones. Especially if you can find good translations. I recommend a Latin/english dictionnary and the original text to enjoy it more.

Also, i suggest you all De bello Gallico by Caesar. A truly masterpiece.
>>
>>7979287
I'm actually reading falling man by don Delilo right now. But I just got some more plays by Sophocles and astrophanes (birds and others)
>>
>>7977968
I've read the Divine Comedy and the Iliad and they're probably my two favourite works of all time.

Not really that interested in Don Quixote.
>>
>>7979461
>astrophanes
I don't know why I laughed.
>>
>>7979246
I was listing historians, but yes you're absolutely right.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.