[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We all know that Ulysses has been very influential. But what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 315x309) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 315x309
We all know that Ulysses has been very influential.

But what novels influenced Ulysses? Did it have any precursors?
>>
>>7977045
the odyssey
>>
infinite jest
>>
>>7977045
>But what novels influenced Ulysses?
If you're strictly interested in the *novelists* that influenced Joyce, then they include the following:

DeFoe
Stendhal
Flaubert
Tolstoy
Jacobsen
D'Annunzio

Source: http://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf
>>
>>7977087
I'm not looking for the novelists Joyce liked. Ulysses's form is pretty radical, and I'm looking for the novels that influenced Joyce's execution of Ulysses specifically.
>>
>>7977105
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>>
>>7977105
The Bible
>>
>>7977105
Defoe did interest him. So did Ovid, Dickens, Malory, etc. Read the Chapter of the Oxen of the Sun again and it will be very clear.
>>
>>7977105
Ah, so you are literally retarded. Gotcha.
>>
>>7977126
Why am I retarded? Certainly there can be overlap between (a) novelists Joyce liked and (b) novelists who influenced the writing of Ulysses, but just because Joyce liked a guy's novels doesn't mean Ulysses owes anything to him.
>>
File: 1297602170253_ORIGINAL.jpg (39 KB, 619x520) Image search: [Google]
1297602170253_ORIGINAL.jpg
39 KB, 619x520
>>7977045
I really hope this is bait. If so, it's bretty good.
>>
"I never got very much out of Ulysses. I think it’s an extraordinary book, but so much of it consists of rather lengthy demonstrations of how a novel ought not to be written, doesn’t it? He does show nearly every conceivable way it should not be written, and then goes on to show how it might be written." - Aldous Huxley

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/4698/the-art-of-fiction-no-24-aldous-huxley
>>
>>7977144
There are six people on the list, dude. I narrowed it down from potentially millions, to just six. How about you take it from here.
>>
>>7977208
I admire the construction of Ulysses, but Aldous Huxley's right. Finnegans Wake had it even worse.
>>
>>7977045
No, none.
>>
>>7977218
Millions?
>>
>>7977144
What a fucking waste of dubs. Just... Ugh.
>>
Nope, Joyce pulled it all out of his ass. Hell, I don't even think Dublin exists.
>>
>>7977208
>it has to be conventional to be good

wew lad
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.