[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any country with more advanced literature than Germany?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
Is there any country with more advanced literature than Germany? I don´t think so. All the good shit was written by german authors. Goethe, Schiller, Mann, Hesse, Kant, Kafka, Brecht and so on and so on and so on.
Proof me wrong.
PrTip: You can´t
>>
>Kafka
>German

Next up you'll be saying Neitzsche was German.
>>
Historically, Germany is right there with Greece. Then a gulf.
>>
>>7941110
but he wrote in german sooooo...
>>
>>7941102
>no Heidegger or Schmitt

Cucked by history.

England has a superior literature. All the good shit was written by the English. Shakespeare, Milton, Marlowe, Thackeray, Lawrence, Coleridge, Keats, Housman, Hobbes, Oakeshott, Bunyan and so on and so on and so on.
"Proof" me wrong.
"PrTip:" You can't
>>
>>7941102
I agree but if you look at when those people that you listed wrote, there's a clear pattern.
In the time of Don Quijote and Shakespeare, German literature had basically nothing comparable to offer. That's a point to consider imo.
>>
>>7941102
Britain
even more so if you include Ireland
>>
Germany's great literature is essentially limited to fiction and philosophy. Where is their great literary artist of, for example, fly fishing? Who is the German Izaak Walton? There is none.
>>
File: isles.jpg (53 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
isles.jpg
53 KB, 640x640
>>
The UK shall forever be the platinum.
>>
>grass
no just no
>>
> proof me wrong

Whoever is the best at literature and writing, it sure as hell isn't you, you illiterate pig.
>>
>>7941102
Greece.
>>
File: das capital.jpg (358 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
das capital.jpg
358 KB, 1440x900
>>7941102
>tfw the upcoming revolution adds another text to the bottom of the pile, that is twice the size of Goethe's work and labeled Marx.
>>
>Schiller
19th century genre fiction garbage

>Goethe
>"muh feels muh flowers"

>Kafka
>"AHA you think Gregor had a metamorphosis? Well you are WRONG! Watch this shit - HIS FAMILY HAD A METAMORPHOSIS HAHA I'M SO DEEP"

nah
>>
>>7941126
so what?
Australia isn't Canada either
>>
>>7941322
Wow, I don't know why anyone even bothers when you seem to be able to take it all apart in a one line impression.
What was that Goethe guy even thinking.
>>
>>7941357
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNEpojtXotE
>>
>>7941102
>Is there any country with more advanced literature than Germany?
Yeah. FUCKING AMERICA NOT EVEN KIDDING
>>
>>7941322
I thought Gregor had a metamorphosis just like some sort of wicked warped vampire who couldn't turn back.
>>
>>7941374
>Ger-ter
Might as well have stopped watching right there, if you're gonna pretend you know what you're talking about for 10 mins, at least put a little bit of effort in the first fucking thing you say.
Also why are you posting this? I know who Goethe is. I don't need a video aimed at getting highschoolers to pass a test without having to read anything themselves.
>>
Too easy. France, hah.
>>
File: me ponder.jpg (34 KB, 543x549) Image search: [Google]
me ponder.jpg
34 KB, 543x549
>>7941383
>post claims american literature is good
>also reads like a /b/ post
>>
Is there any country with more advanced literature than Russia? I don´t think so. All the good shit was written by russian authors. Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Pushkin, Gorky, Gogol, Chekhov, and so on and so on and so on.
Proof me wrong.
>>
Is there any country with more advanced literature than England? I don´t think so. All the good shit was written by english authors. Shakespeare, Chaucer, Blake, Milton, Shelley, Wilde, Orwell and so on and so on and so on.
Proof me wrong.
>>
>>7941110
>Neitzsche
>>
Is there any country with more advanced literature than France? I don´t think so. All the good shit was written by french authors. Voltaire, Stendhal, Flaubert, Camus, Sartre, Sade, Proust, and so on and so on and so on.
Proof me wrong.
>>
>and so on and so on
Can we please stop the Zizek meme
>>
>>7941437
Incidentally, it is evident that among a people with a dead language the drive to think will be most vigorous and bring forth its most eminent productions at the beginning, when the language is not yet clear enough on all sides; that as the language becomes clearer and more determinate, however, this drive gradually chokes and dies in the shackles of the same; that ultimately the philosophy of such a people will resign itself to the realisation that it is nothing but a commentary on the dictionary or, as an un-German spirit among us has expressed it in loftier-sounding terms, a metacritique of language; finally, that such a people will recognise a mediocre didactic poem in comedy form on the subject of hypocrisy as their greatest philosophical work.
>>
Is there any country with more advanced literature than America? I don´t think so. All the good shit was written by american authors. Whitman, Steinbeck, Hemingway, Wallace, Pynchon, Vonnegut, Bukowski and so on and so on and so on.
Proof me wrong.
>>
>>7941442
I will word it like a pretentious /lit/ post if you would like.

I posit that the true epoch of literature arrived in America at the start of the 1900s. Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and T.S. Eliot perfected a stye that was hyper modernist, transcending even the Brits. Not to mention that post-modernism, which many scholars argue (clichely, I might add, but not all the less correctly) is the highest form of literature mankind has achieved thus far, is strictly rooted in America, developing from the Beats (also American). For closure, I will also add that, apart from our sprawling literary movement, we also contain some of the greatest poets of all time. Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Hart Crane, and Allen Ginsberg come to mind. Furthermore, our greatest novelists perfect the formalism of plot and language, while simultaneously pushing boundaries. Faulkner. Gaddis. Henry James. Pynchon. Pretty much everyone that /lit/ likes to circle jerk around.
>>
Is there any country with more advanced literature than Portugal? I don´t think so. All the good shit was written by portuguese authors: Pessoa, Saramago, Vincento, Ferreira, Tavares, Ribeiros and so on and so on and so on.
Proof me wrong.
PrTip: You can, just mention Spain.
>>
>>7941357
I was mostly shitposting. The only semi-serious part is the one about Schiller.
>>
>>7941282
ha childish faggot
>>
>>7941420

He's not technically mispronouncing it, he's just a limey faggot who tacks an 'r' onto any hanging vowel. Though that doesn't explain why he actually ended up spelling it out with the 'r'...huh...
>>
>>7941470
>the greatest poets of all time
>no William Carlos Williams but Ginsberg instead

fuck off
>>
>>7941936
Nahhhh. But either way you're proving my point by adding names.
>>
>>7941127
>no Heidegger
Right? Even has fucking Arendt on there.
>>
>>7941102

no offense but your list is pretty basic.

>no arno schmidt
>no rainer maria rilke

are you even trying?

>>7941127

>shit post
>cuck meme

please let the adults discuss this matter.

>>7941196

you are being ignorant. it's just that no one on this board reads german baroque poetry.

also nevermind the fact that luther, probably one of the most important european authors there has ever been lived in the 16th century.

>>7941223

rilke is the greatest poet to ever live.
>>
>>7941102
>Kant
>literature

>Hesse
>anything else than an angsty teenager rant
>>
>>7942056
if the list is basic is not for you to decide. There are different tastes in literature and so different favoured authors!
>>
>>7942081
typical statement of somebody who only read siddhartha! Faggot!
>>
>>7942092

what? I love & have read every single author of that list, but I can definitely with 100% certainty say that this list is basic as fuck. it's literally required reading in highschool for every single german. I would know, because I read them.. in german..
>>
>>7941322
Faust is the Illiad of the modern world.
You sound like a retard.
>>
>>7941344
lol, funny how you didn't say Australia isn't England
>>
>>7942113
but it is about all german authors and thats not a list but just a little excerpt of authors even every non-german knows! Just to give an example
>>
>>7942113
Hegel though...
>>
>>7941102
i agree with you, germany has got some great literature, Mann prolly being my favourite. Anyhow, which country would you rate second, France, maybe England?
>>
>>7941249
That's a funny way to spell "France."
>>
>>7941322
Just this once I am actually angry this board is anonymous. You should have to bear the shame of that post in person and online for the rest of you your life. You really don't get it, do you son?
>>
>>7941238
>countries that's should be nuked
>>
>>7942056
>rilke is the greatest poet to ever live.
He is not even the greatest German poet. There are countless superior poets in English and in classical Greek.
>>
>>7943538
This.
It says a lot when a poet's most famous book isn't even poetry.
>>
>>7943556
Yea it says that you're multi talented. English is a clunky language that doesn't lend itself to poetry nearly as well as German.
>>
>>7943569
Then why are all the best poems written in English?
>>
>>7942420
in my opinion, second would be england
>>
French is best for Literature and Poetry, German for non-fiction and Philosophy, English for ... nevermind.
>>
>>7943907
xD gonna need a burn heal lol
>>
>>7943907
ha!ha!ha! kek
>>
>>7941102
England, France, Russia, Greece
>>
>>7941102
The spanish literature of the XVII: Quevedo, Lope de Vega, Tirso de Molina, CERVANTES, Gongora, etc.
>>
>>7941322

Watch your whore mouth when talking about Kafka bitch, last warning
>>
>>7944030
Cervantes such a meme faggot!
>>
File: indianflag.png (43 KB, 1350x900) Image search: [Google]
indianflag.png
43 KB, 1350x900
India
>>
>>7941322
>I meme using the first sentence from Wikipedia articles, thank you very much
>>
>>7944062
Yes of course how could we not mention India? It is clearly the country with the most advanced literature! Just think of all the indian authors Thank you anon! you opend all our eyes!
>>
>>7944062
>Designated Pooping Row
>by John Punjabbeck
>>
ah, monsieur, yes. i find the germans quite delightful indeed. their petit bourgeois incarnation was even polite enough to vote that nice fellow, adolf hitler, into power.
>>
>>7944098
you seem to be lost, >>>/b/
>>
>>7944103
1. this thread is not about germans in generall, 2. you clearly don´t know anything about Hitlers vote into power...
>>
>>7944135
/int/ is the correct designation mr. new-bee
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.