[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw I finally understand what staring into the abyss means
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: Buddhist-monk-Thailand.jpg (68 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Buddhist-monk-Thailand.jpg
68 KB, 800x600
>tfw I finally understand what staring into the abyss means
>>
>>7940396
get your face out of that prostitute's asshole
>>
>>7940396
so describe it to us already
>>
>>7940396
It's serenity, is it not?
>>
>>7940396
It's being a trump supporter and realizing that it's all or nothing
>>
File: size-xl.jpg (33 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
size-xl.jpg
33 KB, 450x450
>>7940452
here friend you dropped this
>>
>>7940481
>he doesn't get it
>>
>>7940396

Got a mirror?
>>
>tfw meditate for an hour
>tfw discover thing about yourself you never thought could exist
>tfw scared of my own self now
>>
>>7940561
That happens a lot. Keep going at it and remember there is nothing to fear of yourself.
>>
File: literally_you.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
literally_you.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>7940552
>>
File: 1440193663466.jpg (65 KB, 441x333) Image search: [Google]
1440193663466.jpg
65 KB, 441x333
>>7940410
>tfw become quasi-schizo of it
>>
>>7940590
Literally, I know I have the simplest mindset a man can have. The difference is I don't think I'm better than you for it.
>>
File: u.g. (1).jpg (26 KB, 636x480) Image search: [Google]
u.g. (1).jpg
26 KB, 636x480
>>7940396
>tfw there's no abyss at all
>>
>>7940607
Jesus christ just listen to this clown.
>>
doesn't it just mean whatever energy you surround yourself with is the energy you will exude? if you are around negative fucks all day you will be a negative fuck and vice versa
>>
>>7940620
i think so
>>
>>7940396
Is it that monk?
>>
>>7940620
>>7942189
literally wrong
>>
tfw u get horrorized
>>
>>7940481
>some guy said something I don't understand
>MAXIUM FEDORA TIPPING EUPHORIC INTELLECT 2DEEP4ME
>>
>>7942196
what's it mean then loser. You become whatever your around is the literal meaning
>>
>>7940552
>>7942246
Let us be fair there are a million less pretentious ways to say it
>>
>>7940620
Get your head out of the clouds hippy
>>
>>7940481
you're the abyss retard, and your hat
>>
>>7942303
What's wrong with serenity?

I don't get it.
>>
File: harris.jpg (415 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
harris.jpg
415 KB, 2000x1000
>>7940607

>I know I have the simplest mindset a man can have. The difference is I don't think I'm better than you for it.

It's reassuring to know that even the enlightened can't escape the urge to humble brag.
>>
>>7940396
>tfw I am the abyss
>>
>>7942318
Nothing. The phrase is simply not plausible on 4chan unless you are trying to be laughably grandiose, so rightly he got a smack with le fedora maymay.
>>
>>7942350
>mfw we are the abyss
>>
>>7942303
I don't know, when you really see and feel what Nietzsche was saying, it's either a daunting or serene experience. Those emotions are the most accurate summary I can use to relate before delving into more personal experience. Not everyone sees into the abyss the same way, it seems.
>>
>>7942386
I agree with the sentiment, but I reject that it justifies such ridiculous style of expression
>>
>>7942341
I am only human.
It's probably more because I'm somewhat young and still struggle sometimes with indulging in imposition. I suppose that stems from wishing to see peace of mind with others because I can feel their pain and usually understand how they can avoid it.
But I'm learning everyday.
>>
File: how gauche.png (33 KB, 175x212) Image search: [Google]
how gauche.png
33 KB, 175x212
>>7942363

>multi-syllable words on the literature board are simply not allowed, so say I

This place is shit.
>>
>>7942407
One word?
>>
>>7942419
Please remove your head your anus you monumental pleb.

Nobody says "it is serenity, is it not?"

In any but a few very special situations you would be left pondering where on the spectrum that person lands.
>>
>>7942445
Yeah, that that is how that person enjoys speaking over text. Who gives a fuck how you may talk in person compared to how you may write or type. You have more time to articulate and cultivate your thoughts in an understandable way since the internet does not scream for immediate feedback as in the real world.
>>
>>7940396
Who understands staring into the abyss?
>I

There's your problem right there. You're just another self righteous child playing guru.
>>
can someone spoonfeed me what it means
>>
have you examined your behavior to see how you've been reacting to it? it's not exactly something someone can arrive at intellectually. philosophy just kinda allows us to think more clearly about the abyss. people who don't know anything about it will approach it, and choose how to react to it in order to cope, and they don't have to read nietzsche, camus, kierkehgaard, or any other explication of the abyss in order to react to it. which is why the abyss is universal. it's there, outside of the subject, the subject passes into it, and the subject reacts.

so, have you figured out how you're going to cope?
>>
>>7942457
Of course he can say whatever he damn well wants and it doesnt need to sound like conversation, but can you honestly not detect the pretentiousness in that post? I am sorry but this is the crucial point. Do you not see how the fedora reply is an inevitable, integral part of his own post?
>>
>>7942517
No, I can not. But I can see why you would believe what you do.
What I see in that post, is a thought tapped into what he truly felt from whatever he experienced.
You have every right to be a cynic, but not to assume everyone must see as cynically.
>>
>>7942534
You know something can be both sincere and banal, grandiose crap?

Oh boy Summer has hit /lit/ early
>>
>>7942556

You're the one shitting your pants because you didn't like the way five words were put together.
>>
The abyss is eternal recurrence.
>>
>>7942556
>completely ignores remarks on cynicism
>asserts more personal opinion (unironically)
>damage control

I never said things couldn't be, don't put words in my mouth because you don't understand me. I said I'm not as cynical as you. I can't make it any clearer, so deal with that as you will.
>>
>>7942577
>Expect me to indulge your opinion
>Rage when you think a logical assertion is my opinion

Im being realistic not cynical. You will never touch on the truth of this hapless fedorafag unless you let go of your wishful ideas about his motivation.
>>
How the fuck is this difficult?

We're influenced by the things around us. If you spend a week talking to a psychopath, you will eventually sympathize with him in some small way. Maybe you both like jelly beans. Maybe you both hate people who wear socks with sandals. The longer you do this, the more that diffusion occurs.

That's why working in a toxic environment will eventually turn you toxic. Same thing with people who are raised in abusive families. Your experiences shape how you see the world and how you act in return.
>>
underage crossposter from /mu/ and reddit are killing this board
>>
>>7942660
That's a little too easy. You have to look in the context of Nietzsche. There are bigger implications.
Like I said, the abyss is eternal recurrence.
>>
>>7942701
>the abyss is eternal recurrence.
but why?
what are your inferences from the eternal recurrence?
>>
>>7942660
You arent generous enough. The Abyss is when you look at the psychopath and realise he is part of yourself that you will never meaningfully inhabit, and your talking is no different than the conversation between your brain has with your body telling you to breath or digest or feel pain.
>>
>>7940396
i can literally feel the void
>>
>4 year old student at work asks me what a void is
>explain it in physical materialist terms
>that dark feel when u lay the trap for a young soul
>>
>>7940396
>tfw I deal with the abyss staring directly into me

o_o

Get on my level.
>>
What are some good books if I want to look in to this?
>>
>>7940615
Wrong Krishnamurti faggot.
>>
>>7946694
>he's a jiddu guy
embarrassing
>>
>>7942419
it's 'polysyllables' you pleb faggot
>>
>>7942341

Don't bring Harris into this
>>
curious how do i find this out for myself
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.