[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 1436470330496.jpg (112 KB, 616x952) Image search: [Google]
1436470330496.jpg
112 KB, 616x952
Australian literature
>>
griffiths' JUST series is 10/10 the whole way thru
though I never cared for the BUTT books
>>
>>7938636
I bought all the Paul Jennings books from Aldi the other day. Great nostalgia.
>>
I'm reading A Million Windows by Gerald Murnane at the moment. So far it's a pretty classic mind-bending, plotless, prosed up, Murnane book, a little more intense than others of his that I've read though. I couldn't get through Tamerisk Row but that was a few years ago. I think this is doing my head in a little more.

I really enjoyed Inland and The Plains, and A Lifetime Among Clouds is pretty funny in a weird way.

Have you guys read any Murnane?
>>
File: IMG_0095.jpg (4 MB, 5152x3864) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0095.jpg
4 MB, 5152x3864
>>7938636
>>
>>7938708
I loved all of his books as a kid t b h f a m
>>
The only Oz lit I've read is Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey & A Fortunate Life by A.B. Facey. I'm not exactly gasping for more. I will check out >7938775 though, sounds interesting enough.
>>
>>7939800
>falling for the publisher cash in meme
>>
>>7938708
>>7939803
Confirmed: readers of the JUST series grow up to be members of the literary elite
>>
>>7939819
JUST was what all the patricians read when I was a kid. Which is why only I read them.
>>
>>7938636
Fuck, i never realised how out of proportion his body is.
>>
>>7939843
I bet you're one of those Just Disgusting plebs.
>>
reading the WICKED series as a kid primed me to be the kind of guy who wanks over lovecraft and ligotti as an adult
>>
great childrens books desu
>>
>>7938708
Same t b h
>>7939819
true of me as well
>>
>>7939876
Holy fuck I read this as well, and the deadly series by the same two authors. Paul Jennings short stories were based, and it was trippy to see them recycled as Round the Twist episodes. Australian children's literature is pretty based to be honest.

What of proper Australian literature? I've heard Patrick White is good and does the whole modernist/stream of consciousness thing well in Voss but I've never read him. The only other Australian adult author of note that I've read is Tim Winton, and Cloudstreet was supremely comfy, even if it is popular with plebs.
>>
david malouf's ransom is pretty good
>>
File: JUST.jpg (32 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
32 KB, 600x600
>>7939843
I heard there was a new one coming out??
>>
>>7939919
Anybody know if Kenneth Cook is any good? I like the movie adaption of Wake In Fright.
>>
>>7940117
Sorry mage, no clue.
>>7939942
Hes been doing a new series as well. My sister has been a huge fan of them since I incinerated all her John Green books.
>>
Has anyone ITT actually read Patrick White? I've read about Voss and it sounds lit.
>>
A late education is a fantastic war (mostly) memoir. Cameo appearance for Hemmmmingway!
>>
>>7938636
What is this book actually?
>>
>>7938636
This looks like a 50 page digression in a Pynchon novel
>>
>>7938636
good ass book
>>
>>7940298
Read it homie. It's fantastic. Half McCarthy half Chehov.

>>7939919
It's less modernist more romantic.
>>
>>7940449
>fantastic
>corncobs
pick one.
memes aside Blood Meridian is one of my favourite books ever so I'll be sure to check Voss out now. Thanks
>>
I read a few Nick Earls books in my late teens and a bit of Eliot Perlmann in my late twenties. For entry level, Aus/lit/ is OK.
>>
>>7940117
The book is excellent and if you've ever lived out bush you'll know it's a fairly accurate representation of outback towns and the mentality of people who live there
>>
>>7939919
>>7940298
I am this guy >>7938775
and yes you should read Voss. It's easily the most accomplished book in Australian lit, and unlike a lot of White's other work is actually pretty engaging. The Living And The Dead is a fucking drag, so is The Aunt's Story.
I can highly recommend The Tree of Man, which is a sort of take on the tropes that Henry Lawson developed, on the young married couple making a home in the bush. Riders in The Chariot in my opinion is the second strongest of his work after Voss.
I've only read a few of his short stories but they seem as dry as most of his novels.
Apparently when White traveled across Australia (to a writer's festival or awards dinner or such) he would stop in all the libraries that he drove past and check how far the fingerprints went in his books, to see how far people got before they gave up. Dry books, kinda shitty bloke, I guess.

Gerald Murnane is, in my opinion, the greatest living Australian author. He's so unique in his approach to fiction sometimes it's painful. Pretty good though. J.M. Coetzee rates him.

Bryce Courtenay has some good ones.
Don't even bother with Richard Flanagan.
>>
>>7938636
http://exhentai.org/g/925220/b4f23e90a8/
Australian lit always reads like garbage.
>>
>>7938708
I had three books signed by him as a kid kek
>>
>>7942437
>young married couple making a home in the bush.
sounds dope
>tfw I'll never live that life
>>
I read 'The Swan Book' by Alexis Wright for a lit course but I didn't enjoy it.
>>
File: images.jpg (22 KB, 287x512) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
22 KB, 287x512
/auslit/ is fkn great but our writers aren't held in high cultural esteem so we miss a lot of great stuff, you need to really read around
>>
>be Australian
>look up Australian lit
>all sounds mind-numbing, dusty and mellow

also do they still sell D.H. Lawrence's Kangaroo?
>>
File: WP_20140708_13_24_47_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140708_13_24_47_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3072x1728
I still have the trilogy. The third one was not very good I remember.
>>
Some of. Wintons best books are children's books. Why are we a nation of children?
>>
>Just Macbeth
JUST
>>
Is cloudstreet really the modern Australian classic? Objectively, what are our best books?
>>
>>7939919
I've got Voss sitting on my shelf. I'll let you know in 6-8 weeks when I get around to reading it.
>>
>>7938765
>Paul Jennings
loved that shit

>that one where he ate muesli and cod liver oil and a golden apple plant grew out of his mouth
>>
i still sort of cant believe they got away with putting butts on covers of kids book
i mean i had that in my library in primary school
>>
>>7943890
funny, i remember reading it titled 'Bumaggedon: the final pong-flict' or something to that effect. i can't believe i can recall that.
>>
>>7943890
>>7944099
Yeah I totally remember it as Bumaggedon. Those covers are totally new to me too - maybe I'm showing my (young) age...

I remember Morris Gletizman's Bumface was my favourite book because it had the word 'penis' in the first few pages, which was revolutionary to 8 year old me
>>
>>7943890
I had nightmares about the one with zombies when I first read it. It fucked me up man.
>>
Has anyone here read The Slap? And if so what did you think?
I thought it was about a 7/10 on the whole but it went a bit off the deep end with the DUDE DRUGS LMAO.
>>
>>7944241
nah i havent read it
>>
>>7944241
Oh yeah, I read that. Completely forgot. So there you go.

Also...this happened...
https://youtu.be/mm_niiQfeWc
>>
John Scott, What I have Written
from Melbourne all the way to James Salter...
>>
>>7944241
the Australian TV show was p good. I related with the loser kid who peeped at that hot daddy.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.