[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What languages do you know /lit/? What are good programs to follow?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (26 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
image.png
26 KB, 500x540
What languages do you know /lit/? What are good programs to follow?
>>
Do you ever read in your second language? What about writing?
>>
>>7916996
>>7916998
croatian and english, i read most things in english
>writing
i dont write
>>
>>7918225
Which is your native tongue?
>>
>>7918241
Nobody would learn Croatian as second language
>>
>>7918258
What about people who want to read Ranko Marinkovic in the original, pleb
>>
>>7918267
That hardly qualifies as a reason to learn Croatian.
>>
Portuguese and english. I think I'm going to learn french next.
>>
>>7918225
neočekivano
>>
>>7918268
What about if you want to move to Croatia, it is a beautiful country.
>>
I've found that setting yourself minor and major goals is best.
Software like Rosetta Stone is rubbish.

Choose your language, check what the official government classification is (German has A1,A2, B1, B2, C1,C2, Japanese nowadays has JLPT 1-5), start with the lowest, break the demands of that level into weekly packages, and go. This guarantees that you have a rising difficulty level, and that you actually make progress. Taking the tests for these levels is a great way to have a deadline and something to study towards to, and it feels good when you actually pass. Taking a course is very useful when you're lazy - that way you don't have to self-motivate, you have some external pressure.

I speak German, English, Japanese, and enough French to get around.
>>
>>7918307
you'd have no problem communicating with people in english. also if you don't already speak a slavic language I'm bretti sure it'd be hard to learn.
>>
>>7918307
That'd be a good reason to learn Croatian, yes. You could've answered this question yourself, but ok.
>>
http://youtu.be/chfEEV89Kj8
How efficient is this method? It seems like you wouldn't retain a lot of words after a period of time
>>
>>7918258
I'd learn it just to personally thank the Croteam devs for making good vidya games.
>>
>>7916996
English native speaker. Studied Mandarin Chinese and Japanese at university, then I married a French girl and now we live in Korea! So I speak English French Japanese Chinese and well we've lived in Korea for two years but I wouldn't say I'm fluent just yet (company is Japanese so I work mostly with Japanese and American clients)
>>
>>7916996
>48 day streak in Duolingo

I'm literally unstoppable.
>>
File: Anjelica.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
Anjelica.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
English (native), Spanish (good except obscure vocab and unused tenses) and German (forgot a lot of vocab, need to brush up). Want to master the European continent, so I will Learn French after getting complete fluency in the other two.
>>
Dutch, English and German. As Dutch translations are absolutely horrible, I mostly read English.

The best way to learn a language is to write and speak with natives. Just talking back to a green owl won´t get you very far.
>>
How do you get to that level when you can comprehend works of fiction in a foreign language? I understand newspapers, but still struggle with most literature. Should I just keep reading and expect that somehow it'll get easier in the future? I wonder how those guys who are table to translate from a number of languages got there.
>>
>>7916996

Fluent in english and danish, conversational in spanish and norwegian, rudimentary skills in swedish and german.
>>
I'm just doing Duolingo for French. It's helping my vocab. I want to get to a point where I'm reading in French. Not reading it then translating it in my head to English
>>
>>7918314
Genau das!
>>
>>7918314
Strong advice, my man.
>>
>>7916996
spanish native and english

i was learning french with duolingo but i stopped because it felt retarded

>the apple is red
>the cat is black
>the girl is pretty

thanks but no thanks
>>
>>7919198
try lingq
>>
>>7919198
What level did you get to?
>>
Does anyone know of one that does Welsh, with audio for pronunciation?
>>
I took classes in university for German and ASL. No money for Japanese, anyone have any suggestions, for self learning. I saw one good post for it.
>>
>>7918314
>I speak German, English, Japanese, and enough French to get around.

What he said. Currently learning Italian.
>>
>>7919454
/a/ has a guide for Japanese, but the general's not doing too well these days. Still, Tae Kim and Anki with core2k/6k is a fool proof way to get into the language. By the time you're done you'll know what to do next.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
>>
>>7919198
>t. Lesson 2/5 in the section titled 'Basics'
>>
>>7919198
My preferred method is memrise for raw masses of vocabulary then just reading material and figuring it out as I go.
>>
>>7919399
May be mistaken, but I think duolingo has Welsh now.
>>
Esperanto. But not even good enough to read books in it.
>>
Duolingo says I'm 45% fluent in Spanish. At what point should I start watching Spanish shows? I've tried but I find it pointless because I still can't understand jack shit
>>
>>7920341
It does, thank you.
>>
English, Spanish, Welsh
>>
I'm currently teaching myself German. Should I start trying to read/ translate news articles even if I have very basic knowledge? Or should I start focusing on learning as much vocab as I can?
>>
>>7920610
Also what is a good site for pronunciation?
>>
>>7920619
Any site related to language exchange?
>>
>>7920480
>foreign
>English
Are you retarded?
>>
>>7920635
>>>/int/
>>
Learning Spanish and German. Can read and understand Spanish fairly well at this point, but my pronunciation is still absolute dogshit. I think I will just have to go for immersion at some point. I just started German a couple months ago through Duolingo, but so far I am quite pleased with my progress. The Duolingo course for German seems much more complete than that for Spanish.
>>
What percentage of people here have English as a second language?
>>
>>7920811
2.65%
>>
>>7918439
>!
>>
>>7920811
http://strawpoll.me/7367238
If anyone wants to do a poll for multiple languages, please do, I have no willpower.
>>
>>7916996
Teaching English in a country that speaks the language you want to learn is the best program available.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 800x715) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 800x715
>>7916996
>mfw currently learning French with a friend using duolingo and Skype
Kinda comfy, gives us reason to talk to each other with a mic and we get to make fun of each other's pronunciations while testing each other. Don't know if we're learning anything besides basic stuff, feel like I should do the same thing I did to pick up on English as a kid and read some books then just figure it out as I go along.
>>
>>7916996
English
Spanish
French
Python
C
MATLAB
Wolfram
Ladder Logic
>>
>>7920413
Try watching with Spanish subtitles
>>
I'm learning polish right now.
>>
Portuguese, English, the amount of Spanish you know from living across the Argentinian border for 3 years and shopping/ traveling there constantly, and apparently 36% French
>>
>>7920650
>>7916996

>What languages do you know /lit/?
>>
>>7916996

English and earning Czech and a little but of Bash, Perl, and Python
>>
>>7921064
Thought I was in the other thread.
>>
learning chinese but not for lit reasons so far

what books do i have to look forward to when i become more fluent?
>>
>>7921293

mandarin more specifically
>>
>>7918307
>move to Croatia
Believe me: you do NOT want to do that.
>>
>>7920413
>45%

So you spent an hour on Duolingo?
>>
>>7921004
What, you want to read Mickevicz and Czesław Miłosz?
>>
>>7916996
French native tongue, fluent-or-almost in English, learning German and Russian.

I mostly read in French because the translations are usually very good. I write in French and sometimes English cool phrases pop up in my head, but I can't write more than a few line in English.
>>
Kemetic and American English
>>
Spanish and Catalan as mother tongues.
English at C2 level
Learning German, currently at A2-B1 level.

Programs are shit, join an actual class instead. Once you are proficient enough find a Tandem partner and inmerse yourself in the culture through music, news, films, etc.
>>
English is mother tongue
Learning Swedish
Want to learn German, Italian, French, and Russian
>>
English is my mother tongue, I am also fluent in Russian because of my father, but I do make occasional grammatical mistakes. Would love to learn Arabic or Persian, anyone have much experience with them?
>>
>>7921515
No. I wanna impress these qt Polish girls by speaking their native tongue.
>>
Latvian is mother language.
English at C1 (possibly C2, but no option to take C2 in school)
Russian somewhat good. Also learning German, but I'm shit at it.
I want to learn Polish (because Poland is currently the best European country) or Japanese because of the memes.
>>
I'm going to learn French but I'm too lazy to learn more languages after that desu
>>
>>7921696
det er godt min skat!
>>
English/French bilingual, C1 in Spanish. Thinking of picking up Arabic if I ever find the motivation.

Duolinguo is great if you're a complete beginner but if you've already got a halfway decent level you're wasting your time.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.