[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why exactly, according to Nietzsche is comfort so bad? I love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: lehatwolf.jpg (260 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
lehatwolf.jpg
260 KB, 900x948
Why exactly, according to Nietzsche is comfort so bad?

I love being comfy as a state of being more than most others.

Will to comfort is a better underlying process i think.

so why was he such a faggot?
>>
this image i just realised may make it seem like i'm being ironic but i'm not
>>
>Why exactly, according to Nietzsche is comfort so bad?

Which passage are you referring to?
>>
Because it turns you into a fat retard, as this thread exemplifies.
>>
>>7909315
athletic and smart m80

sm h mate
>>
>>7909317
couldn't make out your point behind all the memes
>>
>>7909330
same applies to you. don't know what you're on about
>>
>>7909340
Ok so you don't have one. Thanks.
There aren't any memes in my post.
>>
>>7909349
stop memeing please, just say something of substance
>>
>>7909302
Probably because of the fact that comfort makes you soft. People who are usually always in situations they find themselves uncomfortable in tend to become comfortable in those new situations, they don't have to rely on plush pillows and days in bed to be comfortable. It's about going out of your comfort zone so you can expand it rather than limiting your world to the few things you can be comfortable with.

That said, Nietzsche was not a god, just a man, with ideas as flawed as any other. Please do not believe you must accept his word as divine law and live strictly by it, and don't get so offended or threatened by what they propose as though they ask that of you in the first place.
>>
Because most artistically great creations relly on suffering to have any sort of powerful intensity. Imagining a comfortable person of the 21st century writing greek tragedies is very hard for that same reason. In order to write like that one has to suffer what the characters go through, one has to constantly perfect their own writting capacities through arduous effort, and a sufferers' vision of the cosmos is required; the notion that all is inherently tragic since its final destination is anihilation.
>>
>>7909438
>>7909427
good posts

basically Nietzsche is about growing stronger in your ideas and in your life - being comfortable and lounging around watching Netflix is not conducive to these things even if it makes you feel good in the short run.
the idea of comfort does not show up in his philosophy to a great extent - only thing that comes to mind is early portions of Zarathustra. so I'd say you're the faggot for fixating on this one thing desu
>>
Get busy living or get busy dying. Even alive, you're stuck between life and death. You have to make an effort in order to prosper, there is no prosperity in comfort. Comfort is earned after a day of striving. Not because it's your duty to your job or your country or whatever, but because effort improves you, laziness does nothing but make you worse. Effort leads to you looking better, thinking better, and being more virtuous. Death is constantly pulling at you. You don't want to go to class, you want to stay in bed, you want to be "comfy," as you put it. That's death. You're dying. Your body is getting worse, your mind is getting worse. You're becoming less able to confront life's difficulties. Say something is bothering you, you're depressed, you want to just lie in bed: you're either going to conquer that feeling through effort, or you're going to be conquered by it. Life is a struggle, and you will enjoy it more if you do struggle, instead of lie down and let it walk all over you.
>>
>>7909460
Thank you.
>>
>>7909460
Whoa. This is really something
>>
His life was miserable.
>>
>>7909460
>Comfort is earned
Into the trash, it only gets worse from there.
>>
>>7909460
No, comfort is not death. Death is death. Life 'walking all over you' is a nothing term.

Plus, for everyone going on about how comfort is anti-greatness, that doesn't explain why some abstract notion of greatness is actually worth doing.

In fact if people were more inclined toward comfort over idiotic conceptions of greatness then we'd probably have a much more peaceful world with much less ISIS, enslavement, futile wars and so on. Not that Nietzsche would care about that but a non-mongoloid might.
>>
pathei mathos
>>
>>7909302
Have you read Camus? I felt like he was in a similar place.

Nietzsche would probably just call you a commoner, and you would probably just not care desu.
>>
>>7909302
I personally feel that comfort breeds weakness. I have had a very difficult life and people tell me I should do drugs but in my experience dealing with the pain and suffering of existence has made severely traumatic events less traumatic. Where others would cry and curse the world I just accept it as it comes. I can handle death and loss easily due to the fact that my natural state is one of acceptance to the human condition. However, I believe that much like Nietzsche I too will probably have a mental breakdown in my late 30s or early 40s.
>>
Nietzsche is the /r9/ of philosophy. He's basically saying "you're not suffering as much as *I* am dumb normies"
>>
>>7910333
Seek comfort, eventually you become numb to it, and then you're stuck: you can't enjoy lying down, but you can't get up either. Have fun.
>>
>>7910992
I've enjoyed and seeked comfort my whole life and this has never happened. I am having fun, thanks.
>>
>>7909302
Comfort makes you soft and complacent. You stop exerting your will to power to shape the world around you, because the world is already suited to you. This makes you susceptible to weakness and herd morality.

>>7910391
Camus was similar, but I'd argue he had a finer distinction. Whereas Nietzsche thought the individual should strive to overcome and create, directing their energies outward into the world, Camus thought the individual should direct inwards, the Don Juan's greatest romance is the seduction of himself, the actor's greatest role is playing himself, the conqueror's greatest glory is in conquering himself.
>>
>>7909302

Hypocritical fuck ate opium for his insomnia.

I'd imagine it is because comfort makes you complacent. Suffering should bring about a drive to change things and thereby make you greater.
>>
>>7910997
Yeah you sound like a real jubilant fellow.
>>
>>7910333

Found the NEET.
>>
>>7911011
comfort isn't jubilance
>>
>>7911014
found the guy with the external locus of identity
>>
>>7909460

Nietzsche would despise me.
Thank you for this post. I needed it.
>>
>>7911023
Nietzsche despised everything because he got humiliated by a girl and his best friend and then decided to jump off the deep end instead of just accepting he wanted some mates.

He's a joke
>>
>>7911021

The term is locus of control.

So I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.
>>
>>7909302

Dunno really, he became a drug addict in the end
>>
>>7911029
The term is locus of identity when you're talking about identity and control when talking about control.

It's really not that hard
>>
>>7911021

top kek.

>>7910333
i partially agree with you here. however, comfort does bring along with a rut, a sense of resignation to the world. to achieve comfort, one must struggle. to fuck a girl, you must go to the gym. to buy a heater so that you can live in comfort in the winter you need money for which you need a job where you put in effort.

effort is required to maintain a level of comfort and bliss (at least in today's world).

however if someone told me that i won some lottery and that i could live a comfortable life without much effort, I'd truly not give a shit about some mongoloid's overblown and arbitrary notions of "Greatness".
>>
>>7911027

He is, apart from being a joke, also remembered, studied, and considered among the greatest thinkers of all time.

But cool opinion man.
>>
>>7911039
only by smelly continentals
>>
>>7911039

not him. but why people give so many shits about fame and social status baffles me. i truly would not give a single fuck if i was a joke in my own miserable lifetime but succeeding generations worshipped me once i ceased to exist.

i wonder however, if i'd rather be a dull happy dolt or a miserable wise man.
>>
>>7911039
>People say he's good so he's good

But cool opinion man.
>>
>>7911032

So my identity is shaped by things outside of myself? Great platitude, applies to literally all humans who aren't cut from outside contact with everyone else from birth.
>>
>>7911048
>applies to literally all humans

i'd say this
>>
>>7911047

Yeah. At some point when enough brilliant men have found him such, I'm not really arrogant enough to consider them all total idiots.
>>
>>7911048
you seemed to understand and be alright with the term locus of control but still are not getting this. It's about the extent obviously. It's not black or white.
>>
>>7911054
you are arrogant enough to have an opinion you know nothing about while appealing to the crowd in the same way everyone would have done about God and slavery and so on however many year ago
>>
File: Carl-Jung.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Carl-Jung.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
>>7911048
>he thinks you're either all one or all another
>he doesn't acknowledge the male within the female nor the female within the male
>he will never achieve individuation
>>
>>7911062
>he'll never be gnostic schizo

it's fine
>>
>>7911064
>schizo
>split mind
>synonymous with individuation
Stay plebian
>>
>>7911061

Not an opinion, no. I said he was studied and considered a great thinker by smarter men than you and I. That's fact.
>>
>>7911073
psychology it's like astrology
>>
>>7911048

not him but i agree with him. it's not binary senpai. it is the degree to which you let your ends/goals/motivations/identity be influenced by arbitrary external fact factors.

hence the term external locus of identity. i think this is what he' telling you bruh. do you follow the latest trend on instagram? do you listen exclusively to pop music? there are various degrees to which you unquestioningly and uncritically whore your identity out to world anon.
>>
>>7911055

Uh-huh. And you derived all this from a 3 word post. My, you are smart. No wonder I can't keep up with you.

It's interesting the word NEET brings about such a comparatively strong discharge from your massive intellect.
>>
>>7911083
Do you compare it to astrology because you find the concepts so ineffably far from your comprehension as the stars are from your grasp?
>>
>>7911084
point is that there's nothing but arbitrary external factors, any other vision is to hypostatize the man and and its attributed faculties as something pre-historical, pre-social, pre-economical, pre-cultural. Fundamentally metaphysics.
>>
>>7911097
Yeah sure, do you also believe and fairies and chakras. I heard yoga is really good for you.
>>
>>7911103
I think there's meaning that can be found in stories about fairies and chakras, sure.
>>
>>7911114
well I can't say I'm surprised.
>>
>>7909302
>I love being comfy as a state of being more than most others
Then you are a conservative, son.
>>
>>7911117
Are you saying that fairytales or indian myths aren't supposed to impart a message? That they're stories told for the sake of stories? What, do you read for plot like some plebbitor?
>>
>>7911123
>Are you saying that fairytales or indian myths aren't supposed to impart a message?

nothing says it's a valid message, and I'm clearly not the intended audience for those folk stories, so obviuosly any moral, or spirit or ethos behind those stories is bound to fall flat on me.
>>
>>7911126

>nothing says it's a valid message
this
>>
>>7911126
Oh so you support gate keeping in literature. Everyone needs to prove that they're supposed to read such and such a tale or otherwise provide credentials that they're the intended audience. Sounds like you'd be great as a scientologist.
>>
>>7909302
>Will to comfort is a better underlying process i think
Watch it anon, you might recur eternally as an overbearing mother.
>>
>>7911141
>Sounds like you'd be great as a scientologist.

Well between you and me it's clearly you who enjoys reading fairy tales.
>>
>>7909460
Literally this
>>
>>7911148
I enjoy reading most things because they're examples of the collective unconscious. Our creations tell us a lot about human beings as a whole. Doesn't mean I believe in the stories literally (that'd be stupid), just symbolically. You're the one who has supported the idea that works are only meant for specific people and that people have to in some way show that they are ready to receive knowledge. So tell me, what works are you qualified to receive? Are non Germans allowed to read Faust? Where do you stand on works which are western in origin but cover eastern ideas like Siddartha? Do you only read anglo writers?
>>
>>7911197
You're allowed to read whatever you wish to read, I never impied you shouldn't read this or that.
But the fact that your reading of the is already tainted by your assumptions, which in fact tells you to read those tales symbolically, an indication which is never justified but only assumed thanks to this metaphysical idead that there's something that unites "human beings as a while". What if those works are meant to be read literally?
If I read something like the Mahabharata I'm bound to receive from the reading something radically different from the audience it was destined, which is most likely only an aesthethical pleasure or at most if I am a studious of indian culture, some insights on the indian culture at that time.
>>
>>7910428

I'm the same here. The first 10 years of my life were actually really good. Then shit hit the fan and I got thrown into the deep end. I'd argue its 10x worse going from soft->hard living than hard->hard. Its like trying to do abstract math with no basic math education. You just arent prepared. But having this happened has strengthened me in some ways that most people it seem do not face.
>>
>>7909302
Living is dynamic and requires progress. Comfort denies both.
>>
If you are in uncomfortable situations you will grow stronger but what if comfort and weakness are better?
>>
File: 1458733114359.jpg (125 KB, 640x626) Image search: [Google]
1458733114359.jpg
125 KB, 640x626
>>7909487

It really isnt. Philosophy 101 bullshit. FUCKING NORMIE REEEE
>>
>>7911340
But they aren't because they will inevitably lead to depression.
>>
>>7911084

You do realise it is literally impossible to not be influenced by external factors. Even you are molded by them. Everybody is.
>>
File: 1453781332662.jpg (75 KB, 550x448) Image search: [Google]
1453781332662.jpg
75 KB, 550x448
>>7909460
I just reached this realization myself two days ago, and here you are writing it down just as I thought it. Crazy shit, thanks anon.
>>
>>7911352
4u
>>
>>7911010
nietzsche wasn't an ascetic, medicating yourself isn't really hedonistic
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.