[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats so good about it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
whats so good about it
>>
File: 1457843089251.jpg (126 KB, 640x855) Image search: [Google]
1457843089251.jpg
126 KB, 640x855
Its an interesting read.
I think its a condemnation of apathy or something.
Maybe an endorsement of apathy.
I.
Dont.
Know.
>>
It's relatable to autists (camus crowd) Other than that it has no redeeming qualities
>>
entry level french existentialism for pussy hipsters in their tweeny bop years that moved past john green already
>>
it lets the faggots on 4chan who think theyre the chronic victim live out their pussy fantasy of "intellectually" raging against the world for all the injustices perceived against them

Its shit
>>
>>7898438
It shows the absurdity that exists between the world and the guy. The guy is incompatible/evil to the world, the world is the same to him. He acknowledges and develops a zenness despite it. Basically Camus 101. Also it's a great first novel if you're studying french.
>>
>>7898493
also coined as the "anomie" crowd

>>7898496
He's said on various occasions that he isn't an existentialist but that seems somewhat disjointed from my condition. Probably best explained in the Myth of Sisyphus. Some of the core ideas he uses as premises are living without appeal and indifference to the future.
Although, I interpret some of the things he said in The Conquest as contradictory to a few of his "truisms". I like to think of it as indifference to appeal, as stripping it away negates appeal and actually limits the variety he preaches deeply about. I'd rather not worry whether my personal preference dominates my reasoning as its just as inductive as any other impulse.
>>
>>7898438
I haven't read this book in many years and barely remember the details, but that scene where the MC shoots a guy on a bright and hot summer day is still vivid in my mind.
>>
The prose is beautiful, forget the latter half of the story desu where he's in jail, that makes me mad.
>>
>>7899265
The fuck. The dialogue with the priest in jail was the best bit.
>>
I always thought it had a great sense of immediacy, despite being in the past tense, which I would say is due largely to the sense that the reader can with Meursault, achieve a certain totality of understanding, at least in the first half, and become completely immersed in his world of sense, action, and simple thought.
>>
The people who bash this are more cringe-worthy than those who exalt it desu
>>
>>7899296
Le reddit atheist detected
>>
>>7899296

I just didn't like the pointlessness of it all. I get what he was trying to say but he never tried to defend himself once and after that I just checked out as far as the story goes.

I understand the point he's trying to make to an extent i've read various explanations but it doesn't make me enjoy the book less, as far as the writing goes.
>>
What a pathetic thread.

One of the most loved books on this board being dismissed ITT with buzzwords and memes.
>>
>>7899252
This. Read it in high school some 15 years ago. Still remember the brightness of the sun on that stretch of beach.
>>
>>7899319
While I know what you are saying, I don't think he would have done a very good job defending himself more. He had a very matter of fact take on things and probably would have appeared even more callous. I also don't think the book would have the same impact if he defended himself and been acquitted instead of found guilty and sent to the guillotine.
>>
>>7899316
I find this comment interesting because you need a lot of context to understand it. If you pulled just anyone off the street they wouldn't get the fullness of it. A lot of reddit might not even get the "le" thing anymore because they were from comics from around 2011 or something
>>
>>7899426
Agreed. I only read it a week ago but I could almost feel the heat.

It inspired a great song too.
http://youtu.be/SdbLqOXmJ04
>>
>>7899265
>>7899265
I could not stand the prose in English. Maybe it was due to the translation I read - which one do you recommend?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.