[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Social book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: autism.png (51 KB, 338x288) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
51 KB, 338x288
I need a book on improving my social skills. Can I just read my way out of autism? I just want to know how to make basic conversation with people I don't know.
I am not even sure if this is /lit/, /soc/ or /adv/.
>>
How to have confidence and power in dealing with people by Les Giblin. I thought it was pretty good.

It essentially just tells you to go out there and talk, but it does give some good tips for conversation.
>>
>>7898380
That doesn't make any sense. Like you can't learn piano or karate just by reading from books.
>>
>>7898407
You're right, but you learning piano without a book/teacher is a lot harder. I am not autistic, I just have no skills in basic conversation.
>>
>>7898380
How to Win Friends and Influence People is basically social skills 101, but it's only really very relevant if you live in North America where cheerfulness and extroversion are cultural expectations.
>>
I got you senpai

pic related
>>
>>7898380
Don't listen to these other people, OP, they're trying to trick you.

Being and Time will help you come to terms with your Being-in-the-world as a self-realized part of das man. The way Heidegger speaks is the way you should speak to strangers.

For friends, acquaintances, and family members, I recommend imitating the style of Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>7898577
And when you go to Walgreens, just start reciting Wittgenstein's Tractatus until the cashier intuits what you want.
>>
Popular Instruction Manual, if you can find a copy of it.
>>
File: 71G4m9CPRUL.jpg (199 KB, 1577x2560) Image search: [Google]
71G4m9CPRUL.jpg
199 KB, 1577x2560
This is real good if you literally have no idea how to start talking to people. Was written by an introverted engineer who had to teach herself how to talk to people. Pretty short too.
>>
>>7898634
>written by a woman

can it truly be trusted?
>>
>>7898457
Alright I will start with this book.
Thank you!
>>
Are you literally autistic?
Because my little brother is autistic and I can totally help you.
He's only mid-functioning and he actually has a girlfriend. Dude's friggin schway.
>>
>>7898634
I've read the first half or so since you posted it. It's a little old-fashioned (it really feels like a baby boomer wrote it), but some of what she says is pretty great. I'll probably give a couple of these others a try, too, but it's a good starting point.
>>
>>7898945
can you post some lines?
>>
>just downloaded tinder and literally shaking with nerves

fuck i'm too big a faggot for this, i should just wait for wizardhood
>>
>>7898805
>schway
>uses the term "schway"
yeah, I'm sure your little brother is the autistic kid :^)
>>
>>7898952
just keep swiping right my nigga
>>
>>7898962
haven't even connected with it yet, just downloaded the app & took a break to drink some more beer
>>
>>7898973
just let your thirst for pu$$ai consume you
>>
>>7898950
Something from the start (the whole thing is in pdf form a quick google away):

If you generally wait for someone else to take the ini-
tiative in a conversation, you have been self-centered. It’s
true! You have allowed your own comfort to take prece-
dence over every other person’s. You haven’t been doing
your fair share of the work. If you’ve largely ignored your
conversational responsibilities, it’s time to take own-
ership. You cannot rely on the other person to carry the
conversation for you—a monologue is a chore and sel-
dom very interesting. Furthermore, one-word answers to
questions do not count as shouldering your share of the
burden
>>
>>7898955
Don't like Batman Beyond?

>>
>>7898634
i found this to be very helpful when i read it
>>
I dont think they work
Theres a kind of 6th sense people have
After reading HTWF and other similar books I havent seen a remote improvement, things did get a lot more awkward though because I tried way harder and it put people off
Didnt work in the slightest long term
>>
>>7898380
you can't read your way out of it.
but it can help you get some idea of what to expect, which is really what all social situations are imo, expectations. as long as you know what to expect in any given social situation and how to deal with it you're going to be pretty comfy there.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.