[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I'm an autodidact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Angry-Frog-Meme-05.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
Angry-Frog-Meme-05.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>I'm an autodidact
>>
Modern academia is an absolute joke, anything relating to the humanities is better self taught than at a university setting.
>>
>>7898080
I'm actually proud to be a dilettante contrarian because academia is little more than a circlejerk that charges out the wazoo and takes way too long to produce or confer anything of value.
>>
>>7898087
>>7898097
>pseuds trying to rationalize

top kek, v pathetic
>>
>>7898080
I have a BA in literature from an academically-inclined liberal arts college and I've met truck drivers who know more about literary theory and 18th century French writers than me.

Philosophy probably needs academic instruction, but its more than possible to learn about literature and poetry on a university level without ever stepping foot in a school. Many social sciences too, IMO
>>
>>7898123
maybe you're just really really stupid
>>
File: World Trade Center.jpg (211 KB, 1200x954) Image search: [Google]
World Trade Center.jpg
211 KB, 1200x954
>>7898080

>having this little self-confidence

No wonder your opinions are boring.
>>
>>7898123
You know the odds of a truck driver knowing more about literary theory than a university student are next to none, right?
Maybe you live in a city where truck drivers are exceptionally intelligent. I mean, even goddamn Thomas Bernhard was a truck driver once, so what do I know.
It's certainly possible to learn about literature and philosophy without attending university, but most people lack the motivation or intellectual rigour.
>>
>>7898080
>>7898104
Sure people who say this are occasionally pretentious, but people who have an inability to teach themselves should be treated as mentally disabled.
>>
>>7898104
Not as pathetic as a univericuck desperately trying to defend the increasingly diminishing worth of their piece of paper.

I'd like some fries with that, professor.
>>
I'm an autoerotic autodidact.
>>
>>7898180
>increasingly diminishing
Posts like these only make me appreciate having gone to university all the more
>>
>>7898180
I had to do call centre work recently and you wouldn't believe the amount of employees who had a master's degree. People who studied mathematics, environmental sciences, anthropology, biomedicine, history... all at the mercy of any asshole with a cellphone. Fucking depressing.
>>
>>7898180
>>7898175

the pseuds are the ones like you who draw a false dichotomy.

there are plenty of useless unviersitycucks but there are an even greater number of "autodidacts" who are blithering idiots with delusions of intelligence.

both a university education at a top flight school and self learning add something to one's intellectual development. the true patricians are those with a university education who also engage in "autodidactism"
>>
>>7898194
>implying degree matters
>implying it's not the ranking of your school

top kek

i've posted this like 20 times but people dont seem to understand - you can be the memest major at harvard, like gender studies or some shit, and still have better career prospects than someone with a STEMlord degree from an average state school
>>
The point of the educational institutions is not simply just to teach a subject, if I wanted that I could simply torrent all the textbooks from Yale or somewhere equally circlejerky and read them all. The point of schooling is the experience. Having resources at your fingertips, people you can speak with that have a far more in depth knowledge of a subject than you do, being surrounded by peers who are learning the same thing, its all part of the experience. Grading gives way for meaningful retention (or drug abuse) and competition between classmates if that's your thing. And the most beautiful aspect of going to a university is learninng how to shovel through the bullshit bureaucracy and learning how to be a somewhat productive member of society instead of an autistic sperglord. I feel like this thread is full of those weird kids in high school that carried around 20 spirals of strangely articulate notes and drawings of the human body. Theres a reason schools have been around for so long.
>>
File: 1453441832637.jpg (39 KB, 281x324) Image search: [Google]
1453441832637.jpg
39 KB, 281x324
>>7898180
>increasingly diminishing
>>
>>7898175
This is me, and to >>7898196
there's nothing I said which actually disagrees with what you did. It's practically insane to do just one or the other; it limits your opportunities. You must be able to do both.
>>
>>7898258
>What is a second derivative

liberal arts student pls go
>>
>>7898363
Nice save 2bh

In the future you should just write diminishing though
>>
>>7898395
but what if he means the amount it's diminishing by is accelerating? just diminishing doesn't capture that, i can only think of phrases to express it rather than his admittedly awkward adjective there
>>
>>7898166
Bernhard was the driver I met.
>>
all of this

>there have been great writers both school- and self-taught

ffs
>>
>>7898166
most truck drivers who know literary theory probably went to university, but just liked driving a big rig better than sitting in an office. my uncle a has a couple degrees, one in russian lit, but he worked in a VA hospital changing bedpans and sheets and crap out of a sense of duty to his vietnam homies, rather than doing some white collary shit
>>
>>7898187
if.. if only there were some other way of saying 'increasingly diminishing'...
>>
why is there animosity between autodidacts and university students

are we maybe just a little angry that someone should presume to be "on our level" because they didn't spend a bunch of money like we did? isn't that petty?

a university education is a good thing. but it's not an inhumanly good thing. I am certain that autodidacts are not hopeless.

I think the pressure we put on kids to attend college is misplaced. I think a lot of people would be better off if they didn't go—and I think the universities would be more successful if most of their students wanted to be there and wanted to learn.
>>
>>7899592
It's because the 'murrican university system's profiteering fosters an even greater sense of misplaced elitism than the standard sort of snobbery you'd get from people who are convinced they're more educated than others.
>>
>>7898180
>>7898196
>KEK KEK KEK
yawn
>>
If you have ever read a fucking book in your life you can't be an autodidact. it's likely that if you know the world autodidact you were not a fucking autodidact.
>>
>>7899592
In my country (England) university degrees are now a dime a dozen and are increasingly being seen as worthless. University is a sorting mechanism for normies to get their "dream" white collar wagecuck job after partying their asses off for three years.

If you went to Oxbridge or Imperial though, that's a different story.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.