[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me everything you know about this man.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 155px-Pynchon.jpg (6 KB, 155x218) Image search: [Google]
155px-Pynchon.jpg
6 KB, 155x218
Tell me everything you know about this man.
>>
this man, in my country he is nothing
>>
born in the 30s
fascist in college
studied aeronautic engineering then english
friends with dick farina
loved the beats
loved fitzgerald
loved marijuana
published v. at 24
loves the simpsons
lives in new york
still alive
>>
>>7897779
Both Pynchon and R Crumb refuse to sign autographs unless you ask them to sign them as the other guy.
>>
>>7897800
Do you think they would even tell anyone if he were dead?
>>
>>7897779

I know he is someone who should have never been taken seriously. It's too bad he didn't serve a combat role in WWII. The world would be better if he caught shrapnel with his skull from some nip kamakazi plane.
>>
how much pot does he smoke?
>>
He's a multimillionaire and lives in a giant mansion on a hill.
>>
>>7897817
yes. he's not even secretive, he just doesn't like to be photographed. there's pretty much a whole biography of him out there if you just look.
>>
>>7897818

So is he worth reading, then?
>>
>>7897845

His books hold as much value as John Green. The difference is he just used knowledge from his freshman mathematics course and history essays in his books in order to make it seem well thought it.

He truly is one of the most worthless authors. An actual waste of paper to have his books printed.
>>
WHY DOES HE HEAR THE HAT
>>
>>7897863
butthurt conservative detected
>>
>>7897845
he is great
>>
>>7897863
lol you mad bro?
>>
>>7897872
>>7897868

Not even close. His works hold no literary merit. They are for entertainment purposes the same as formula writing.

Pynchon even has a formula. Have a boring hippie type parody boring hippie stuff in multiple decades. Have a really confusing part that doesn't make sense. End it on some catchy note.

Pynchon: The Book.

No suspense, no real character creation. His works are hollow which I suppose is why he writes so much. They seem like they have content when most of it is just ramblings that pertain to absolutely nothing within the story itself.
>>
i wonder if pynchon had some sort of occupation between GR and VL
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 500x303
>>7897911
You clearly haven't read TRP's books. We can tell b/c your opinion holds no value.

And there's something terribly sad and banana about that.
>>
married to one of biggest lit agents in the game

not really a recluse in a Salingerean sense cycling meme ascetic ideologies, compound, wearing jizzy pj pants etc

other writers all never talk about him in interviews and no one knows why/how it started

son is an undergrad and in a rock band

friends with Harold Blume, father of childrens author Judy Blume
>>
>>7897779
He's playing in The Master's golf tournament right now.
>>
>>7897911
>No suspense, no real character creation
No discernable talent.
>>
His works will live forever
>>
File: sure.gif (2 MB, 350x174) Image search: [Google]
sure.gif
2 MB, 350x174
>>7897800
>published v. at 24
>>
>>7898006
26, actually
>>
>>7898015

Doesn't make the hurt go away.
>>
>>7898015
thank god. I still have a couple years to get on his level
>>
File: 1.png (17 KB, 628x177) Image search: [Google]
1.png
17 KB, 628x177
>>7897800
>still alive

hate to break it to you man but check the front page
>>
He's ugly and looks stupid, but he's probably not. Also, he laughs at your face when you read his shitty books.
>>
>>7898039
Get zikaed!

God speed, Tommy[\spoiler]
>>
>>7897779
His fans don't like to talk about his pedophilia
>>
>>7898090
Its an allusion to the beats and Nabokov.
>>
>>7897796
Well, this man in my country, he is everything.
>>
>>7898090
Supposedly Rushdie confronted him about this when they had dinner and his response was that he's basically a comic book writer for intellectual adult men, which I guess excuses it to him. Wish I could find the piece where this was mentioned, I've tried looking for it again several times and I never can.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.