[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just read this. I thought it was a great read, especially considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 9780226030135.jpg (79 KB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
9780226030135.jpg
79 KB, 853x1280
Just read this. I thought it was a great read, especially considering current events in Europe and the US.

Why doesn't /lit/ talk about Strauss that much?
>>
Is this the same Strauss the Plato master?
>>
>>7897545
Wasn't he the founding father of neoconservatism? U just got jewed hard m8
>>
>>7897565
Strauss has some decent scholarly work on Plato, so it may be.

>>7897579
t. Someone who's never read Strauss, or at least didn't read carefully.
>>
>On trannys
I've been too much on 4chan
>>
I've read all but Strauss in the Neo-Con cannon, I need to get round to this.
>>
>>7897596
Wasn't deceitfulness a key part of his philosophy? Sure you not trying to pull a kol nidre on me?
>>
>>7897627
Hate to break it to ya, but he's not a neocon, though he may sorta resonate with certain ideas, sentiments, or values, kind of the way Plato or Aristotle might resonate with them.

(And certainly Harvey Mansfield, who has neo-con sympathies, is a huge devotee of Strauss.)

>>7897687
Not a part of his, no. His claim was the *rediscovery* of philosophic exoteric writing, a manner of presentation common to philosophers up until the late 18th century, when the successes of the enlightenment made it no longer as necessary for survival for philosophers to conceal their ideas, though also it was no longer fashionable to do so as philosophy affiliation with pursuit of the truth came to be associated with sharing the truth.

>>7897545
On Tyranny is phenomenal, and is the Strauss text that I take as my guide to his other work. Have you read anything else by him or his students?
>>
Strauss is great. I've also read Mansfield and Bloom.

I think Natural Right and History is his greatest work. His commentaries are also indispensable. And he has a large, and largely silent, following in academia today.

Do not believe the liberal lies and conspiracy theories about Strauss.
>>
>>7898694
>>7897596
learn more about strauss and his circles of influence and association
>>
>>7898714
Yeah, like who? The fact that Wolfowitz took a course on Plato's Laws and a course on Montsquieu's Spirit of the Laws? Like that would explain the Wolfowitz doctrine? Am I to ignore that Wolfowitz's REAL mentor was Albert Wolhstetter, who *actually* influenced various of the neocon in Bush's circle? Strauss's influence is limited to academics who love studying old books and the occasional pundit who admires his stuff (the Kristols, Fukuyama). The "Strauss was the godfather of neoconservatism" meme is nothing more than bad scholarship by a reactionary "liberal", Shadia Drury, whose two books on Strauss are hatchetjobs that rely on the reader not ever bothering to look up the passages she has footnotes to, because otherwise you'd she that she intentionally abuses his texts to make him look bad; we're talking separating "Hinkley had a vision" from "The band The Crucifucks have a song called 'Hinkley Had a Vision'" level abuse.
>>
>>7898738
Mad as fuck crypto-conservative detected
>>
File: handsome doge.png (35 KB, 246x329) Image search: [Google]
handsome doge.png
35 KB, 246x329
>>7898783
>>
>>7898783
The "I've run out of meaningful things to say, so I'll just shitpost" meme is always funny.

Especially considering we're on /lit/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpZKKmVZ1DY&nohtml5=False
>>
>>7898710
right wing antissemitic conspiracy theories are halal tho
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.