[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just tried reading this. What a bunch of hogwash. Why are all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: atsisiųsti.jpg (12 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
atsisiųsti.jpg
12 KB, 223x226
I just tried reading this. What a bunch of hogwash. Why are all the books that critics always praise always shit?
>>
>>7897306
LMAO we got another one boys
>>
>>7897306
Because they cannot into fantastic fiction with worldbuilding.
>>
>>7897321
this
>>
>>7897306
Critics don't really. it is just this generation's primary babby's first literature so it holds sentimental value for many
>>
It's not all it's made up to be, but it is pretty good.

Are you new to literature, OP? What would prefer to be reading? I'm genuinely curious, those aren't meant to be snide questions.
>>
Is this you OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmiQfFSUWu8
>>
>>7897436
stop sharing your dumb shit
>>
>>7897440
sorry
>>
>>7897306
Not sure if meming, but the reason is because the job of a critic is to consume a large amount of media in their field (whether it be literature, film, food, whatever) so they start to get bored by popular tropes and conventions. Because 'x' is the standard, 'x' appears frequently in the medium, and the critics become bored by 'x'. Infinite Jest, at the time of release, was 'y'. It was different, which made it alluring, and used big words so critics felt smart and justified by heaping praise unto it.

For the record, I like Infinite Jest and Wallace in general, but I'm not going to suck his dick or anything. It sucks that there can't be a middle ground. He's either regarded as a piece of shit "meme writer" or among the greatest writers of all time, when he's really just above average.
>>
>>7897436
>burning books
wew lad
>>
>>7897306
Shitting on it is more impressive if you've actually finished it. I finished it for the sole purpose of giving my insults to DFW more weight, and honestly it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The DFW cult gets very intimidated when I reference Himself's wraith appearing before Gately and laugh at the idiocy of it all, or point out Pemulis's maths errors, or explain that St. Dave literally just copied a pharmaceutical textbook into the endnotes to make himself look smart.

The cult generally expects that nobody will bother to finish it so they can always fall back on, "well I've read it and you haven't"

having read every single page of it, I can safely say that you could easily cut 800+ pages of this book and it wouldn't lose any quality
>>
>>7897650
>pointing out logical inconsistencies in a book about a movie that kills people

nice job m8, u managed to look like the stupidest asshole in a DFW thread
>>
>>7897514
>dystopian
>different
>>
>>7897306
Find better critics, Infinite Jest is a hot mess.
>>
>>7897306
Finnegans Wake is shit, but not Ulysses. Ulysses is great.
>>
>>7899035
Nabokov did say Finnegans Wake was shit, too. Most of the people who like Finnegans Wake are pretentious fucks who go, 'lel pleb u idiot coz u dnt get language puns lel lel.'

Fuck you, okay?
>>
>>7899040
>liking what I don't like is pretentious
>>
>>7899048
Nope. I read FW page to page by people who tell me it 'plays the music of consciousness,' and I read the entire thing because I just wanted to tell them to fuck off, otherwise, 'because you didn't read the whole thing!'

Then I realized that those people were full of shit and FW is a bad 'novel.'
>>
>>7899035
>Finnegans Wake
>good

Pick one.
>>
>>7897650
That's generally how critiques work, but I'd rather save myself the time and if I ever need a good laugh, I'll be sure to give that a round. In the meantime, I wasn't impressed by the first two-hundred pages. I mean, his writing is solid, but it's just so turgid for no purpose.
>>
>>7899053
what were you looking to find in it?
>>
The meme that keeps on giving
>>
>>7899090
A semblance of a story, for one
>>
>>7899094
I kind of understand Joyce from a quote in Portrait of the Artist.

“A day of dappled seaborne clouds.

The phrase and the day and the scene harmonised in a chord. Words. Was it their colours? He allowed them to glow and fade, hue after hue: sunrise gold, the russet and green of apple orchards, azure of waves, the greyfringed fleece of clouds. No, it was not their colours: it was the poise and balance of the period itself. Did he then love the rhythmic rise and fall of words better than their associations of legend and colour? Or was it that, being as weak of sight as he was shy of mind, he drew less pleasure from the reflection of the glowing sensible world through the prism of a language manycoloured and richly storied than from the contemplation of an inner world of individual emotions mirrored perfectly in a lucid supple periodic prose?”
>>
>>7897650
it's very sad that you take pride in reading a 1000pg book to give your "insults more weight" and the best you can come up with it that you "laugh at the idiocy of it all".
>>
When you write an English essay what you do is create a theory that sounds cool then you skim through a novel and make evidence to prove that theory.

Critics often come from this background. They don't see novels as storytelling devices and things like plot and characterization are vulgar.

They look at novels in terms of the literary cannon, theme, and little parts of prose divorced from context and story.

It gets really weird when you look at winners of awards and competitions. Short story competition are the worst. I don't think I've ever finished reading an entry from a winner of one of those.
>>
>>7899032
See, it's not exactly full-on aggressive dystopian though, like classic 1984 style. I mean, kinda, but not really.
>>
>>7897321

wow what a DOOFUS, I bet he didn't even get to the Wardine chapter!
>>
>>7897650
honestly the reason I loved this book is because it captured the essence of browsing the internet... you find yourself in a whirlwind of information, information that you don't necessarily need to be reading; information that hits every emotion that you feel when browsing the internet: confusion, dread, sadness, intense stupidity.

but shit bruh if a hamlet allusion makes you frown then shit bruh idk what I can do to soothe that in you
>>
I liked it because it is so long. I like reading the literary equivalent of a long car trip: boring in a sense but meditative too, repetitive, lots of scenery.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.