[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 18 and just getting into literature. I've always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I'm 18 and just getting into literature. I've always been a pretty big reader and I've read books by lots of more well-known and 'classic' authors (Hemingwey, Tolstoy, Dickens, Faulkner, Poe, Twain, a bit of Joyce, Orwell, Kafka, Fitzgerald, Proust, Huxley, Aghileri, etc), but I'm just starting to get into more 'contemporary' literature.

Is this book actually good, or am I getting memed?
>>
read it yoursef and find out.
>>
>>7897221
THIS
SO MUCH THIS
T
H
I
S
T H I S
T
H
I
S
FUCKING THIS
JUST READ THE FUCKING BOOK
>>
I just opened the third page.... what am I in for?
>>
I just spent $28.67 (with tax) and spent the bus fare to go to B&N to buy this book that I am now asking you about what I should expect.

What should I expect/
>>
I think you'll like it OP. I liked it. A lot of people here like it. You should read it.
>>
OP here, just marathoned the first 5 pages!

*wipes brow*

were they good?
>>
Aw you guys...

First of all OP, good on you for reading those works at your age. The work is good, but you may enjoy it more if you were acquainted with postmodernism (which wallace is responding to). Try Hawkes, Pynchon, Barthelme, Calvino or Gaddis. They're my favorites. Basically, Infonite Jest is a return to sincerity, though this 'return' may be lost on you if you haven't read any pomo
>>
Does it have deckled edges OP?
>>
File: 1459389875586.png (368 KB, 873x512) Image search: [Google]
1459389875586.png
368 KB, 873x512
>>7897219
You probably got memed. Personally, I refuse to read it because of how much you fine gentlemen constantly lick it's balls and shitpost DFW memes. Perhaps I'm missing out on something grand, but ehhhhh...

I've read the synopsis and it just strikes me as garbage and a waste of time, like every pomo decon turd being foisted on our already vapid society.
>>
>>7898448
It ain't pomo m9
>>
>>7898448
Good call. You're not missing out.
>>
File: 27878112.jpg (160 KB, 884x1024) Image search: [Google]
27878112.jpg
160 KB, 884x1024
>>7897219
Congrats on your venture into pomo, OP. Just so you know, you're not getting memed. IJ is a legitimately great and masterfully written novel, easily one of the most important of the last twenty years. DFW narrates like an old friend to the reader, creating a brilliant contrast between the Enfield Tennis Academy and the halfway house, demonstrating to us the struggle of life in contemporary America. DFW is right in the notion that we all share the same two options of becoming vapid and hedonistic in our lifestyles (halfway house) with nothing to lose, or perfectionists constantly cleaning away desecrated flaws. Heroes or pale kings. No matter which path we choose, which deity we worship (as indicated by his this is water speech) we are simply leading our way to death.
>>
File: 1459391444540.jpg (245 KB, 1280x1109) Image search: [Google]
1459391444540.jpg
245 KB, 1280x1109
>>7898478
Deconstructionist mumbo jumbo!

The audacity! As if the human experience, the human psyche, could so easily be broken down to it's constituent elementary particles and reconfigured into a cold soup of dubious nutritive value!

These shitlords will have you questioning the sanctity of human latency & conferring significance to the phlegmatic braying of a dying jackass!

Fuck IJ & DFW.
>>
>>7898116
>What should I expect/
buyer's remorse
>>
>>7898503
I would agree with that friendly normal person, its slave morality to blame a group for your problems
>>
>>7897219
you dont have to put 'classic' and 'contemporary' in quotes
>>
>>7898246
classic memes here lads
>>7898112
wait until you get to pg 150 and then pg 330, oh boy
>>
>>7898503
I uh... whatever you're trying to do here, you're either failing rather hard or you're doing something immeasurably dumb. Not bad prose quality though desu
>>7899111
full house digits
>>
>>7898503
dumbest picture ever
>>
>>7898448
Well that's a great reason not to read something faggot.

Why don't you formulate your own opinion on something instead of waiting for lit to meme something you can react to?
>>
>>7898352
The typical Americans experience with television and mass media in the 20th and 21st century is enough experience with pomo ideals to understand the reaction.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.