[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Few Questions...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (109 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
109 KB, 800x1200
1) How hard is it to become a decent writer who can live off his writing, if you put in a respectable amount of time each day?

2) Is good writing an acquired skill or is it an unreachable goal for most people despite hard work?

3.) I'm 25 and working construction. I really want this monotony to end. Where would I start?
>>
You learn how to write by writing and reading a shitload. These two activities, in proportion to the time you spend on them, will make you a better writer, regardless of where you're at now.

It's not possible to know how far you can go when you embark. You have to just go for it.
>>
File: 1456623838970.png (1 MB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456623838970.png
1 MB, 1080x1080
>>7891659

>you will never breed a qt viking chink
>>
>1) How hard is it to become a decent writer who can live off his writing, if you put in a respectable amount of time each day?
Even if you're good, or you are the next Nietzsche or something, the market is only reasonably "safe" for commercial schlock about teenage vampires fisting each other

>2) Is good writing an acquired skill or is it an unreachable goal for most people despite hard work?
No amount of skill can replace talent, and some people are lucky enough to have talent innately, but skill can hone talent, and skill + vision can be fine even if you're talentless. The problem is that vision is hard to come by (what do you want to say that's really unique, important, or interesting?), and again, mostly comes to talented people without their really trying.

>3.) I'm 25 and working construction. I really want this monotony to end. Where would I start?
That's a tough one
>>
>>7891670

I hope this is true, that would be a relief. Writing always felt like some crazy skill that was unreachable to most people.
>>
ITT: Everyone just brings their ideas of being a good writer instead of considering the reality of the situation, which is all based around marketing and how fast you can get your shit done
>>
>>7891659

1. depends, you can write smut novels or become a journalist of some sort and make a living writing pretty awful things. But if you want to write good novels and make a living, don't quit your day job, do it as a side project

2. yes, it's both

3. write in your spare time, you can self publish online very easily with amazon, kobo, etc, if you're good and understand how to market properly you can succeed, most people won't. I made a few grand doing this but got bored, writing isn't as fun as I thought it would be. Basically if you don't write naturally, for fun, in your spare time, then don't bother doing it as an "easy way to make a living" cause it's not
>>
>>7891681
>the market is only reasonably "safe" for commercial schlock about teenage vampires fisting each other

not even that.

been in the industry since before the web, and even then writers always had to have a second or third "real" job. the number of writers who actually made a living from it was about the same as the number of opal miners who make a living from THAT - about one in ten thousand.

since the publishing industry collapsed it's just gotten worse. any web-based writers who tell you they make a comfortable living web-publishing, are *fucking* *liars*.
>>
>>7891684
There are people who will try to tell you that it is.

These are the embittered failures, who justify themselves by saying it takes some innate ability to succeed.

All they can do it spit hate at you and try vainly to stay you from the course of study.

Pay them no mind, as they would simply see you give up, as your potential for success is just a reminder of their failure.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.