[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
I've read Lot 49, Inherent Vice, and V., but l feel like l'm not ready to take on Gravity's Rainbow just yet. What should l go for instead?

Please don't say Mason & Dixon
>>
>>7888857
Inherent Vice, Vineland, or V.
I read him in this order: TCoL49, Vineland, Bleeding Edge, V, Gravity's Rainbow
>>
>>7888866
Thanks famlam. Should l re-read V. before jumping into GR? I've heard they''re connected somehow.
>>
V. is better and more difficult than GR anyway. Pynchon's past tense usage in V and Lot 49 is more representative of his style than the present tense of GR
>>
>>7888857
If you read V. you're ready. It's time to take off the training wheels, son.
>>
>>7888857

Vineland, just read it to tick it off your list, still funny in parts but not as good as previous Pynchons.

>>7889210

Stencil's chapters are all I had difficulty with, however the rest was pretty easy to follow.
>>
I only read Lot 49 first and I'm reading GR now and its fine desu.
If you read that much of him already and you still dont understand it you probably never will.
>>
>>7888857
Is Against the Day that bad as people say? I find its concept really interesting.
>>
>>7888857
If you got through Lot 49 and V. then you shouldn't have any major problems with GR.
>>
>>7889227
this is probably correct in some way, although there's nothing wrong with gearing up towards it, even if its only for, say, poetic reasons.

>>7888878
No need. I can't say whether or not rereading V will be of any benefit, but it probably won't make a worthwhile difference.

>>7889216
Yes, well, in terms of difficulty, Vineland is on par with Inherent Vice and Lot 49. And I think it's quite good. It's Pynchon's only book that deals heavily with the 1980s; a time that I think is interesting as well as formative for American culture today.
>>
don't be a faggot and just read gravity's rainbow. why do people make these threads. or read mason and Dixon. I'm reading it now and so far it's better than gravity's rainbow.
>>
>>7888857
Why not Mason & Dixon, OP?
>>
Alrighty then, guess l'll get to GR next

>>7889304
You seem angry, bud.

>>7889351
Because l've heard that's Pinecone's most challenging novel, so l'll leave it for last.
>>
>>7889636
who says that? it's not difficult at all.
>>
>>7889636
Mason & Dixon is easier than Gravity's Rainbow. Takes a few dozen pages to get used to the olde tymey style but after that it's smooth sailing. Probably easier to read than V. in my opinion.
>>
>>7889663
>>7889669

I guess l fell for a /lit/ meme then.
>>
So TCOL49 is the best place to start with PinĨone? How difficult is it, do I need to read something in advance before reading it?
>>
>>7889816
It's easy.
>>
Read GR
It's not really any harder than V. and you'll just lose interest if you read something else first
>>
>>7890163
GR is immensely harder than V.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.