[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Niven ever get any better than the first half of Bordered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: blindsight3.jpg (344 KB, 2400x1036) Image search: [Google]
blindsight3.jpg
344 KB, 2400x1036
Does Niven ever get any better than the first half of Bordered in Black? I've read at least two other collections of his not featuring this story and none of them are as dark or evocative. I find his "Known Space" universe kind of intrusive and his other stories only barely tugging themselves along by the premise.

If none of his other stories manage the same dark sci-fi, cosmically spooky feel, which is the kind of kick I'm on, any recommendations for ones that do? I've read Blindsight, which was interesting but brittle, I'm struggling through Echopraxia, and I've read a dozen other books that only partially fit the theme (Rendezvous with Rama, 2001 novelization, Up the Walls of the World, etc).

I was thinking of checking out Call of the Black River and Revelation Space eventually, but was wondering if anybody has more prescient recs.
>>
File: love_by_sarafinconcepts-d4pon1h.jpg (202 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
love_by_sarafinconcepts-d4pon1h.jpg
202 KB, 1024x1024
I'm gonna bump this once with some cosmic imagery and then leave it, I'll deal alright wallowing.
>>
>>7888003
i've never heard of a Niven story called Bordered in Black. his wikipedia entry doesn't mention it.

i gave up on him after the appalling mess that was The Mote Around Murcheson's Eye. too many minor characters.
>>
>>7888003
>if anybody has more prescient recs.

... you do know what that word means, right?
>>
>>7888506
He considers his short stories his best work, I'd start there if you were at all interested. I know for certain his N-Space collection has it.

>>7888514
Haha wow that wasn't entirely on the nose, sorry man. You could finagle it into being applicable, maybe; I hate walking into some books without a little foresight. Expectations can make or break a work.
>>
>>7888520

you don't like the Known Space books.. what else has he done? some fantasy stories, the Svetz time-traveler ones, Footfall, the Motie books, and the Ringworld books.

i liked the first Ringworld book, the second was weird, the third had too many characters.. he seems to have that problem.
>>
File: cthulhu0002.jpg (213 KB, 1280x828) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu0002.jpg
213 KB, 1280x828
>>7888003
>dark sci-fi, cosmically spooky feel

Charles Stross's short story collection "Toast".

the story you want is called "A Colder War". imagine Neal Stephenson collaborating with H.P. Lovecraft. dark as *fuck*.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.