[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>So it seems life is pretty shit and meaningless. What do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: dude it's fun come on.jpg (99 KB, 537x536) Image search: [Google]
dude it's fun come on.jpg
99 KB, 537x536
>So it seems life is pretty shit and meaningless. What do you think, Camus?

>DUDE JUST PRETEND LIKE SISYPHUS WAS HAPPY LMAO

>But rolling a rock up a hill continually until you die appears to be a rather undignified and cosmically pointless existence, one in which the cons outweigh the pros and one whose initial conditions we never asked for nor consulted about.

>DUDE JUST PRETEND ANYWAY LMAO
>>
>>7885842
the sad thing about camus is that he actually believed it.
>>
>>7885842

They call the mindset generated by extreme pain "ecstasy" for a reason.
>>
>>7885842
I know what you mean anon. I felt the same way when I read it.
I would really say that Dan was trying to do was get - I did well, but the death penalty, which the whole affair was contrived reality and I passed out.
Sorry for bad English, amYiddish.
>>
this bothered me about camus, he offers literally no remotely convincing reason to accept his ideas but hes seen as a great of 20th century philosophy
>>
>>7885842
it's basically the only way he (an intellectual coward) could say suicide is the only thing that makes sense to do and if you don't do it you're an intellectual coward to a bunch of intellectual cowards without calling them intellectual cowards
>>
>>7885876
It's the French. They have a weird languid and morose character, and they love celebrity intellectuals. Camus was a thing because Camus was a thing so now Camus is a thing.

You are 100% right in rejecting absurdism for exactly that reason. It's a bizarre non-philosophy.
>>
>>7885842
I don't exactly agree with Camus but the claim that he doesn't make any argument is false. He bases it on the idea that Sisyphus, who spent his life rebelling against the gods, commits more rebellion even in death by putting himself into the mindset of satisfaction in his work when it was intended to be torture. He finds joy by choosing joy for himself, not by finding it externally. This basically removes all of the gods' power over him if they are unable to punish him and in a way he defeats them.
>>
>>7885922
im sure the gods felt real fucking defeated yeah
>>
>>7885926
It doesn't matter how they felt, only how Sisyphus felt.

Like I said I don't follow Camus very closely, but he did have a point. I like some of his stuff. The Stranger wasn't too great for me but I thought The Plague was rather well done.
>>
>>7885922
You can't "choose" something like that, there is no more choice involved in that than there is in stubbing your toe on purpose and piously declaring that you like it while tears run down your cheeks.

Furthermore, that is the exact opposite of what real rebellion would be in such a situation. Choosing not to play in order to fuck with the gods would take the form of v suicide or antinatalism.

Basically Camus a shit
>>
>>7885876
>hes seen as a great of 20th century philosophy

Not by actual philosophers
>>
>>7885944
isnt your argument circular?

sisyphus should feel happy so he can defeat the purpose of his punishment
and sisyphus is happy because he is defeating the gods

man id rather just not have to push a fucking rock up a hill for eternity
>>
>>7886028
Sisyphus rebels against the gods by trying to cheat death and for this the gods "punish" him with eternal life.

Rolling the boulder eternal is a symbol for everything we do in this life. From working, the seemingly never ending sameness of a working life that amounts to nothing, the having of children that have children who grow old and die to no purpose. Everything we do is no different from pushing the boulder up the hill.

>>7885888
What am I reading. The whole book is an argument against suicide. How the hell do you get the idea that he is advocating it.
>>
>>7885842
Basically, I think he's saying that the toil of reality is unavoidable, so reinterpret your culture-myths and make toil into a virtue.
>>
File: Nietzsche-wikipedia.jpg (689 KB, 2033x1347) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche-wikipedia.jpg
689 KB, 2033x1347
Nietzsche taught the same thing

“What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.”
>>
>>7886694
>The whole book is an argument against suicide
a weak intellectually dishonest argument against suicide
>>
>>7885842
I actually disagree with this blatantly displayed as one-sided arguement.

While continually rolling a rock up a hill all one's existence, comically, seems pointless, it can be argued that the internal, personal gratification is explosive.
It can be argued as to why any task at all mustn't seem universally pointless when all can be seen as such because of the nature of existence?
>>
CAMUS: Ayo, I'm Camus, I'm a philosopher (skateboards behind lectern, removes sunglasses)

(zoom out, sign says he is at the International Depression Conference. subtitle says "Can Thought, Directed Like A Deadly And Expensive Laser, End Sadness?")

CAMUS: If you've got the sads, don't sweat it, lads! I
>>
File: 1459790944341.jpg (56 KB, 599x445) Image search: [Google]
1459790944341.jpg
56 KB, 599x445
>>7885842

>live a finite life
>spend it on 4chan being a smug leftist complaining there's such a thing as /pol/ and Trump

Aight.
>>
>>7885975
>comparing the whole of life to one toe stub
>comparing life to one instant of severe pain
>calling camus dumb
go on
>>
>>7886917
>implying life isn't one big toe stub

Lay off the Disney movies
>>
>>7886952
>implying i know what a Disney movies is
lay off the disney movies
>>
ITT wannabe intellectuals who are too high on their horses to appreciate a likable thinker like Camus.
>>
>>7886903
>>>/pol/
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.