[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for something to read. >read the wiki fgt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 276x183
I'm looking for something to read.
>read the wiki fgt

Hold up a second.

What books do you know that are effective at communicating a story without needing to fill every sentence with the contents of a thesaurus?

That's not say I'm averse to large words. I'm not at all. Just something good.
>>
Me no like big words too. Me want good book, no too smart words for me...
>>
I'm reading Cannery Row at the moment and while it is a little thesaurus-y, there was also a poop joke on the first page.
>>
AAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
ABSOLUTE COMEDY GOLD ANON
EBIN
EBIN
EIBN HAHAHAHA
XD
XD
XDX
GREAT (GREAT!XD) STUFF

FUCK YOU CUNT
>>
>>7883268

me am smart brain, can read little inks but not big inks
>>
>>7883272
>>7883268
>this much mad
Woah, chill anons.
>>
>I don't understand a word
>omg the author writes like a thesaurus!
>there is no possible way for someone to write other than with the words I know! And if they do it's because they are tryhard obscurantists!
>but I'm not scared of "big" words! But give me something without them, something "good"!

Kill urself my man
>>
>>7883268
>>7883272
>>7883276
I bet you guys thought Infinite Jest was good.
>>
>>7883278
>tryhard obscurantists!
A dumb fuck like OP probably doesn't know what these words mean so he probably can't even think this.
>>
File: cool writer sophisticated.jpg (54 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
cool writer sophisticated.jpg
54 KB, 730x1095
>>7883261
Are you familiar with the works of the author depicted in picture related? If not - try and read his works. Simply superb. Amazing. Detailed, without using too many words like those silly authors that do so in order to seem 'sophisticated' (Dante, Goethe, even Homer, bunch of tryhard loonies with their big superfluous words)
>>
>>7883280
it was ya cockmongler
>>
>>7883319
please, please kill yourself. sincerely. this moralising sarcasm is unforgivable shit. die
>>
File: Nabokov_Pale_Fire.jpg (11 KB, 207x299) Image search: [Google]
Nabokov_Pale_Fire.jpg
11 KB, 207x299
>>7883261
You would really enjoy Nabokov
>>
>>7883319
>tried to sound smugly superior
>implies "Homer's" works were written by a single identifiable author
>>
Children's fiction. I'm not kidding.

Want something deep? Jerry Spinelli. My favorites are Milkweed, Maniac Magee, and Stargirl. They're all very good stories that can literally bring you to tears at parts you really didn't expect, but he doesn't need big language to get out an amazing and yet simplistic story.
>>
File: shakespeare.jpg (38 KB, 492x492) Image search: [Google]
shakespeare.jpg
38 KB, 492x492
>>7883341
>>7883329
What are you on about? Have you even read 'Looking for alaska'? He is very similar to Hemingway in the clarity that he offers in his works, as well as his ability to craft highly complicated as well as simple relations between people and their thoughts.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.