[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martin Luther
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 261x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 261x300
Have any of the major philosophers offered an opinion on Martin Luther and secondly the results/effects of his 'reform'?

>Anglo opinions likely to be discarded
>>
>>7880227
tl;dr me on the Jews and their lies
>>
>>7880227
Luther was a theologian, not a philosopher. He is a nonentity in philosophy.
>>
>>7880239
But what he did changed the Western day-today world more dramatically then anything else. He's THE proto-modernist.
>>
>>7880227
My pastor says Luther was the bravest man who ever lived and delivered us from the pagan Catholic Church, and that Calvin was his successor. If my pastor's word isn't enough for you then you can just go back to Mexico ya papist.
>>
>>7880246
A kind of an exposition of this is what I'm looking for. I realise that he's a non-entity in philosophy but actually he's a failed theologian at best
>>
>>7880227
Try Engels:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peasant_War_in_Germany
>>
>>7880239
i dont study the reformation but it's silly to ignore the influence of wider cultural trends on the development of philosophical thought. part of luther's significance was that he translated the bible from latin into german, so that it would be more accessible to common, literate germans. then two hundred years later kant is the first significant philosopher to write philosophy in german, using words that most somewhat-educated germans would know. do you really think those projects are unrelated?
>>
Nietzsche thought he was a bumbling idiot who basically doomed the Christianity he loved so much by opening the bible up to interpretation from outside the church. Once philologists could start studying the bible independent of the dogma, Christian morality's fate was sealed.

But of course without Luther Nietzsche never could have did his thing. Which was his point.
>>
has Martin Luther offered an opinion on other major philosophers?

"I would not dream of judging or punishing you, except to say that you were born from the behind of the devil, are full of devils, lies, blasphemy, and idolatry; are the instigator of these things, God's enemy, Antichrist, desolater of Christendom, and steward of Sodom."

- Luther, From Against the Roman Papacy, an Institution of the Devil, pg. 363 of Luther's Works, Vol. 41
>>
>>7880722
amazing quote
>>
>>7880227
Expect Kierkegaard no because Luther really hated reason and was into fideism. His ideas are more or less largely abandoned by protestants because they were shit but he remains a symbol of sorts more than the person you actually read for good authorship
>>
Thanks to all, good responses
>>
>>7880383
That doesn't mean he was influential in philosophy, at least not in a standard kind of way.
He essentially even alienated philosophy from theology, which is a sort of an influence, but of a different kind.
>>
>>7880915
The responses are terrible.

>>7880227
I think modern philosophers are as others have said quiet on the matter since he spoke on theological matters mostly. In regards to metaphysics he stated men have no free will in accepting God (akin to the Reformed theology) in his polemic with Erasmus in his writing titled "Bondage of the Will".

>>7880246
True. Protestantism led to capitalism.

>>7880256
Calvin based a lot of his work off Luther but differed on his view of justification. Nonetheless affirming justification by faith/sola fide,

>>7880257
Failed theologian? Let me guess you read a straw man of sola fide from Catholic Answers?

>>7880383
> part of luther's significance was that he translated the bible from latin into german
There were previous translations of the Bible translated into German.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations_into_German#Pre-Lutheran_German_Bibles

>>7880530
Nietzsche is irrelevant.

> who basically doomed the Christianity he loved so much by opening the bible up to interpretation from outside the church
How so? He revived the gospel since Rome was condemning people to Hell by preaching a false gospel of works salvation.

>>7880777
> His ideas are more or less largely abandoned by protestants because they were shit but he remains a symbol of sorts more than the person you actually read for good authorship
People who say things like this are why you should consider not asking questions as yours OP on a place like 4chan where ignorance is rife.
>>
>>7880257

There has never been any such thing as a successful theologian.

t. fedora
>>
Nietzsche thought he was a criminal because the Reformation saved Christianity.
>>
File: 9781930004894.jpg (187 KB, 776x1200) Image search: [Google]
9781930004894.jpg
187 KB, 776x1200
>>
>>7883757
Only for a short time. In the long run he believed that Luther had liberated the gospel from the clergy which would result in it being deconstructed.

He wished Cesare Borgia would have been pope because it would have triggered the death of god centuries earlier so the great minds of the enlightenment could have focused on replacing God with a new framework rather than tiptoeing around him or working on deconstructing him. Luther set back western philosophy in the long run but he also left the door open for people like Nietzsche to rip Christianity apart through analyzing the gospels critically as philologists.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.