[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DFW's top 10 books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: zngf.jpg (65 KB, 425x325) Image search: [Google]
zngf.jpg
65 KB, 425x325
http://www.toptenbooks.net/authors/david-foster-wallace

Is this a joke? Stephen King....
>>
He was a poser faggot when talking about what her liked. He pretended to like star wars episode one and shit.
>>
>>7878810
He was very self-conscious about being pretentious, which is why he took such efforts to demonstrate that he wasn't a snob.

I think if you asked him what his Top 10 books were in a personal conversation, he wouldn't be able to answer without worrying about what you would think of his choices.

Choosing commercial fiction authors that are looked down upon by the literary establishment (which he was a part of) is his way of avoiding anxiety and denying his vanity
>>
>>7878826
that makes a lot of sense. after listening to the KCRW interviews and reading between the lines in his work i'm pretty convinced his struggles with privilege guilt were one of the main contributing factors to his self-regard
>>
>>7878826
i read the first 10 pages of silence of the lambs and i literally wanted to vomit. the movie blows the book the fuck out.
>>
>>7878866
SOTL is a fantastic book. Harris is very competent
>>
>>7878826
Pretty much, he was the most insincere man that ever lived.
>>
Heh, a Tom Clancy novel is in his top 10. I got The Hunt for Red October in my backlog right now. Has anyone here read any Clancy novels?
>>
>>7879049
Yup, there awful.
>>
>>7879081
Why did you find the novels boring?
>>
>>7879093

He didn't say that.
>>
>>7878866
Nope. It's a good book. Red Dragon is a little better in my opinion.
>>
>>7879099
My mistake. I'm a bit tired today. I should of asked why he thought they were awful.
>>
File: 1454785776432.jpg (27 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1454785776432.jpg
27 KB, 640x640
>>7879081
'there'
>>
>>7878810
Maybe he just, you know, liked those books? I mean look at the way he dresses.
>>
Franzen's, in comparison.

http://www.toptenbooks.net/authors/jonathan-franzen
>>
>>7879108

No big deal man. I just felt like being a nitpicking asshole to someone on 4chan for some reason. That was a totally unnecessary negative comment on my part merely to try to get a rise out of you and I'm sorry.
>>
>>7879174
>http://www.toptenbooks.net/authors/jonathan-
franzen

>>7878810
>http://www.toptenbooks.net/authors/david-foster-wallace

No wonder modern lit is in such an abysmal state. Jesus fucking Christ...
>>
>>7878810
I take it as he was the type of guy who could enjoy a light read without judging it or comparing it to literature.
>>
>>7878810
he was a pleb, and will be looked upon as a joke in 20 years. As will the late postmodern era.
>>
File: 234.jpg (100 KB, 956x704) Image search: [Google]
234.jpg
100 KB, 956x704
This is a list of books he owned I believe

http://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/search~S18/?searchtype=x&searcharg=david+foster+wallace+library&searchscope=29&sortdropdown=-&SORT=D&extended=0&SUBMIT=Search&searchlimits=&searchorigarg=xdavid+foster+wallace+library
>>
>>7879081
>>7879093
>>7879099
>>7879108
>>7879310
Where am I?
>>
>>7878816
>>7878826
Hit the nail on the head.

He really worked hard at pretending to be genuine.
>>
>>7879333
>An adult child's guide to what is "normal"
>You have begun to deal with the pain and trauma of being raised in a dysfunctional family and now you are ready to lead a healthy life.
>Do you know what healthy people do?
>Do you know what is "normal"?
>Do you know how to ask unwanted guests to leave?
Wow. Guess some of us gents need to pick this up.
>>
>>7879325
More like a total pleb that cared way too much about what people thought of him to hide his narcissism.
>>
File: son.jpg (22 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
son.jpg
22 KB, 472x472
>>7879333
>Posting cross and modern Jesus.
>Get holy tripples.
>Check'd.
>>
>>7879614
what?
>>
I'm surprised not to see Wittgenstein's Mistress on there, given that one essay he wrote.

By the way, how can this be the case?:

if i exist then nothing exists outside me
but if something exists outside me i do not exist
>>
>>7879645
333 is half of 666. Jesus confirmed for half-Satan.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.