[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I picked up Infinite Jest and I can't help but feel underwhelmed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1457633247814.jpg (16 KB, 309x273) Image search: [Google]
1457633247814.jpg
16 KB, 309x273
So I picked up Infinite Jest and I can't help but feel underwhelmed. He writes in such a way that whatever information is inbound comes in a way that is both unclear and confusing. I can't quite understand what did he mean by needing to include details of someone shuffling change and his shoe being parallel to what is his something something relative all the while failing to explain what the fuck is going around.

This book feels like a headache. Is it worth pursuing? I swear to God, at least Moby Dick knew better how to present it's narrative without coming off as too obtuse.
>>
Imo he does it because it so real and banal that it doesnt belong in literature. From what I understand a large part of the book is dedicated to figuring out what is real and unreal and how it applies to literature. I honestly dont really know what im talking about but I think he's representing how an author represents reality in a society where it is impossible to figure out whats real and whats not.
>>
>>7878648
And he oscillates between hyperreal and surreal to portray this. Also I dont know how to connect it but a large part is also showing the failure of metafiction and basically it only leads to insanity. But its it's weird because he engages in everything that he criticizes.
>>
>>7878648
I see, I see. I just feel being repelled, almost as if reading something that I was designed not to like in the first place. Also, what's up with the endnotes? Notes in general. Jesus Christ, the first page has more than enough material to have at least an another page as supplementary notes.
>>7878667
I would assume you know nothing more than spout 'Pleb this, pleb that' without actually explaining anything or participating in the thread in a meaningful way. Shouldn't you be reposting macros of Max Stirner and shouting 'Spooks' at everything you happen to dislike?
>>
HOW DO I DEAL WITH THAT NIGGER WALLACE.

I GAVE IT AN ANOTHER TRY AND I ALMOST GOT AN ANEURYSM TRYING TO UNDERSTOOD WHO IS WHO IN THE RECEPTION ROOM ( OR THE OTHER ROOM ) AND HOW THE HELL ARE THEY RELATED TO THIS AND THAT AND AARRGGHHHHWIHADWDWADWAOWDAOODOD
>>
Honestly, I'd just read more. I don't want to come off as a smug prick (unfortunately I'm going to) but I didn't have an overly difficult time reading IJ. Having said that, I had been somewhat well-read before that and had read harder works.
You might just not be ready to read the book, and that's really alright. I tried reading V. over the summer and found myself struggling with it. I tried it again this past December and not only understood it (as much as one can understand V.) but loved it.
You've just gotta grow as a reader, then you'll be ready to read it.
>>
>>7878674
Actually it is supposed to feel repelling to some degree, also supposed to feel like he's trying to reach you at the same. The endnotes are for a couple of reasons. Ive heard him say that they're kind of like the tennis back and forth as well as as second kind of consciousness, like how you observe your own observations, a metacommentary. Also notice how many he uses throughout the linear chronology of the story, he progressively uses more and more like an addiction. Also notice how toward the end they get more vapid and pointless, usually dealing with branding of some sort. Also notice how when you think you start to think you understand the story more and more how it slips away and feels infinitely impossible to understand.
>>
Do all IJ editions use endnotes or some use footnotes on the same page of the text they are supposed to annotate?
>>
>>7878605
1. it gets really really good around 120 pages.
2. it's a book that is meant to be re-read. if you haven't re-read ij, you haven't really read it.
>>
>>7878690
The things that happen right at the start of the book are chronologically the last things that happen.
http://faculty.sunydutchess.edu/oneill/Infinite.htm
Use this to help get the gist of the opening scenes, don't worry about not understanding everything. I could barely make anything out, but after the opening, it does get a bit easier, until the Wardine be cry chapter and, later on, the yrstruly chapter. It does tend to slip in and out of making sense and being complete nonsense
Also, on p223, there should be a list of all the different years, and their chronology. When I read it, I put a bookmark in there and just kept flipping to it to get an idea of the timeline.
>>7879453
I'm going to assume they all use endnotes, because some of the notes span about 10 pages
>>
>>7878704
This meme must die. It just discourages new readers.
Truth is no one had a "smooth" read of Infinite Jest and that's half the freaking point. You suppose to be struggling with the chronology and with the weird scene descriptions, it makes the book much more rewarding if you're into that kind of stuff:
>>
I read your advice and I think I will give it an another go. I'm not too experienced with contemporary work and post-modernism, so there's that.

Wish me luck.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.