[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/: The Book Seriously though, is this worth checking out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: PSX_20160402_175640.jpg (143 KB, 670x1019) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160402_175640.jpg
143 KB, 670x1019
/lit/: The Book

Seriously though, is this worth checking out?
>>
Looks interesting, it came out just a month ago, so don't expect any "proper" answers.

>hardcover
>$104
>kindle
>$80

fuuuccckkkk off
>>
vulture shit
>>
>>7878510
Why would anyone buy this if it's as expensive as >>7878524 says?

You could probably buy most of DFW's books for that price and write your own book about his failures.
>>
>>7878570
It's an academic publisher, tiny print runs drive up the price - university libraries don't care much about the price, they're the main target
>>
>>7878574
Academia sounds like an terribly sad and banal place.
>>
Is the meme about the Infinite Jest being full of sticky notes real? I was wondering if I could read IJ on an e-reader and making notes is inconvenient there
>>
How the fuck was this written? What a waste of time, writing a slam piece about a dead author that most people pretend to have read.
>>
>>7878596
Its not slamming him though
>>
>>7878596
It's not really a slam piece judging from the description, more about "failure" as a theme in DFW's work

>>7878587
There are many notes (1/4? 1/5? of the book), and it's definitely easier to read on an ereader, or with a few bookmarks to easily jump around, since in my print edition all of the notes are endnotes
>>
>>7878587
Are you asking if the book comes with sticky notes? Because no, that'd be retarded. I has a hundred or so pages of endnotes in the back though, and the main text refers through them for most of its duration.
>>
>>7878629
no, I was asking whether the book and the story is so difficult it is hard to keep up with without using sticky notes
>>
>>7878524
Damn. It's $89 from the Kobo store, though they offer price matching (with a little bit extra). Even still, I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a ebook.
>>
>>7878585
I love it tbqh
>>
>>7878744
It's not difficult. It's just long and flipping from the text to the notes can make reading it a strange experience if you're not used to that sort of thing.
>>
>>7878510
>identity
>>
>>7878981
ok, thanks man`
>>
>>7878596
>How the fuck was this written?

That's what I'm saying. The sheer number of volumes it would take to catalogue dfw's failures make it infeasible logistically speaking
>>
>>7878524
if anyone has overdrive just rip it and post. Then we can all forget about it because >>7878552
>>
>>7878524
you can return kindle ebooks on amazon...
just return it after copying it then crack it
>>
>>7878510
The whole point of this book is to be provocative and edgy, in the realm of shithead lit critics.
>>
>>7878608

Well there goes my interest.
>>
>>7878570
90% of literary criticism costs a fuckload if you dont already have a deal with the publisher/own a library or college

i paid like $60 for a pynchon companion and it was 100 pages of uninformed rambling
>>
>>7878510
>tfw the writer teaches at my university
>>
>>7878585
it is

can't wait to finish my degree and go live and converse with normal people
>>
File: bj.jpg (204 KB, 1326x996) Image search: [Google]
bj.jpg
204 KB, 1326x996
>>7878585
>sounds

look everybody, this pleb doesn't even go to university!
>>
>>7878552
lmao
>>
Hey assholes

From the product description:

>She argues that Wallace's work is most unified by its resistance to closure, which pervades the structural, narrative and stylistic elements of his writing. Taking a broadly thematic approach to the numerous types of 'failure', or lack of completion, visible throughout his work, the book offers a framework within which to read Wallace's work as a coherent whole, rather than split along the lines of fiction versus non-fiction, or pre- and post-Infinite Jest, two critical positions that have become dominant over the last five years. While demonstrating the centrality of 'failure', the book also explores Wallace's approach to sincere communication as a recurring response to what he saw as the inane, self-absorbed commodification of language and society, along with less explored themes such as gender, naming and heroism.

It's not about how much he sucks.
>>
>>7879597
None of those things are exactly groundbreaking and anyone who read enough of his stuff will have picked up on them anyway.
>>
>>7879389
That sounds fucking terrible. Remind me why anyone gives a shit about anything """""critics""""" have to say again?
>>
>>7879389
i got the gravities rainbow companian off ebay for like 10 bucks used and it was helpful but it didn't really have anything that wasnt on that pynchon wiki site
>>
>>7878524
it's meant for university libraries
>>
>>7879705
God damn, you're an idiot
>>
>>7879727
Yeah, not paying 80 bucks for 200 pages of shit I already knew sure is idiotic of me.
>>
File: 1451517784891.jpg (104 KB, 1385x1204) Image search: [Google]
1451517784891.jpg
104 KB, 1385x1204
>>7878510
>>7879024

>resistance
>>
>>7878596
>>literary criticism
>what a waste of time
leave
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.