[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A question in Generic settings bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: Tumblr Vs 4Chan .png (182 KB, 571x542) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr Vs 4Chan .png
182 KB, 571x542
Are Generic settings bad even when that was your intent? I am writing a novel and the first two or three chapters are set in a generic post-apocalyptic world before the protagonist wakes up. I want to write it like generic because it would be a foreshadow for my future novels. I want to hear /Lit/ opinion/.

>pic unrelated
>>
If you're writing in English I don't think you'll need to worry about the content, no one will even understand what you're trying to say
>>
Generic is fine, but not too generic. Think about the opening. The setting must have some sense of familiarity to make the story come alive.

For example, think of these three post-apocalyptic movies:

Mad Max
The Road
The Postman

All are generically post-apocalyptic but they aren't the same settings at all. Be generic, that's fine, but give it at least some life to show that it's yours and it's a place that your characters and audience can relate to.
>>
>>7877916
Yeah this is pretty much true.
>>
if you're thinking of a setting before you think of what the book will actually be about it won't be very good senpai
come up with the main theme of the book and then pick a setting from there
>>
File: 1144.png (213 KB, 600x848) Image search: [Google]
1144.png
213 KB, 600x848
>>7878271
I already have a theme I was just worried about the settings.
>>
File: 1320409252717.jpg (104 KB, 613x533) Image search: [Google]
1320409252717.jpg
104 KB, 613x533
>>7877912

I'm guessing English isn't your primary language?
>>
File: 1458414922705.png (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1458414922705.png
15 KB, 300x300
>>7881041
Nyet
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.