[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to horror?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1447463519549.jpg (27 KB, 526x299) Image search: [Google]
1447463519549.jpg
27 KB, 526x299
I'm trying to incorporate horror into my writing, but I'm not sure if it's actually coming off that way. True enough I've never actually had my writing critiqued, so to me it just comes off as normal writing.

From what I've been doing, I try to convey a sense of hopelessness by both putting the character(s) in a hopeless or sudden and unexpected situation as well as quickening the pace of the reading so as to emphasize a more intense situation.

Any kind of advice you can provide that you feel would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
>>
>>7877662
>From what I've been doing, I try to convey a sense of hopelessness by both putting the character(s) in a hopeless or sudden and unexpected situation as well as quickening the pace of the reading so as to emphasize a more intense situation.

That sounds really half assed, maryann.
>>
just post an excerpt and we can tell you
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPBmbs-JPhHc1Dpp40dQhBSJt21d5e1DZ
>>
Uthreze was quiet for a moment, a pause that seemed to be a sound in itself, “My mistake, I should’ve asked before saving you. Would you rather be…less comfortable?” Uthreze’s voice became distorted as the room twisted, bended to the distortion, creaking with strain. The walls cracked, splintered, and the floor fell apart under his feet. He watched before his eyes as whatever remained of the room fell with him and faded into the blackness he was being swallowed into.
He fell, seemingly endlessly, his screams taken by the darkness. Brannon landed, finally, back first against water, being submerged into a black ocean abyss. He held his breath, wading in blackness, he didn’t know where the surface was but he swam, finally breaching he gasped with the full force of his lung.
He waded at the surface and looked around. It looked as if he was just wading in nothing, not even seeing the line of the ocean, looking down he could only see his own body, his own legs kicking.
This wasn’t happening.
This shouldn’t be possible.
Tiny little lights appeared, ever so distant, far below him. They got closer, breaking off from one another in pairs, moving about but keeping central to Brannon, as if looking for the cause of disturbance in their ocean.
“So brash,” Uthreze started, its voice now only something reminiscent of what it once was, “So biting, so angry, so…ungrateful.” The world trembled at Uthreze’s growl, “Perhaps you’ve forgotten where you are?”
He continued to watch them get closer, swirling about. They weren’t just lights, he suddenly realized. They were eyes. Hundreds of pairs of eyes were watching him, and they were approaching him, knowing now where he was. He shouted out, kicking and swimming forth but no matter how far he swam he didn’t seem to be going anywhere.
“Satisfied?” Brannon felt something push him, prod him deeper in to the abyss, but he held himself. “I hope you’re not bored. You did this, and we’re not going back now.”
He felt something touch his leg. No, he felt something take his leg. He could feel his blood leave him but there was no pain, the darkness was keeping him from feeling any pain, taking its opportunity to flood in, keeping him from feeling anything. His whole body became numb.
“I want this to last.”
Brannon became submerged, pulled into the abyss his breath left him. Deeper and deeper he sank, the only thing he could see was what remained of his leg, gnawed off with a trail of blood following, and the eyes that now circled him in a staring vortex. He couldn’t see their bodies, only their eyes, but if their eyes were any account, they must’ve been massive. He felt them all get closer until suddenly they all lunged, biting and ripping into him until he was nothing more.
>>
>>7877695
This is still Op, just now typing from my computer.

Some backstory: The main character has been transported to the world of a primordial God, the primordials being feared by humans for reasons, especially by the main character for reasons, and thus he has an immediate reluctance to cooperate to the primordial's (Uthreze) means to make him comfortable. Thus, here's his response:
>>
>>7877696
I didn't just kill off the main character by the way. Uthreze just created a simulation of killing him so as to calm him, or more likely, to warn him of using a familiar tone
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.