[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Hawthorne? I'm reading House of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Nathaniel Hawthorne.jpg (174 KB, 574x700) Image search: [Google]
Nathaniel Hawthorne.jpg
174 KB, 574x700
What does /lit/ think of Hawthorne?

I'm reading House of the Seven Gables currently. Beautiful prose, penetrating insight into human interiority, profound statement on place and history.

But Nate, my nigga, your leads are absconding and you give me 16 pages of 'and he was like, dead in his chair and sheeit'.
>>
>>7877399
Well Phil, he's great and all, but had the great misfortune of being born at the same time as Walt and Melville.
Pity it took us till Pynchon to give the Pilgrims the recognition they deserve...
>>
>>7877409
I will agree that Melville is the superior author - perhaps superior to any other author in the English language - but I cannot pretend to understand the alleged appeal of Walt Whitman. He strikes me as rather a talentless little paedophile.
>>
His short stories are also nice OP

picked up a complete collection at a thrift store recently
>>
>And it was in this hour, so full of doubt and awe, that the one miracle was wrought, without which every human existence is a blank. The bliss, which makes all things true, beautiful, and holy, shone around this youth and maiden. They were conscious of nothing sad nor old. They transfigured the earth, and made it Eden again, and themselves the two first dwellers in it. The dead man, so close beside them, was forgotten. At such a crisis, there is no death; for immortality is revealed anew, and embraces everything in its hallowed atmosphere.

Stunning.
>>
>>7877399
He's pretty qt desu senpai
>>
>House of the Seven Gables
because of Phoebe Pyncheon?
you get it? PYNCHeON?
>>
>>7877814
Herman, that you?

>>7877818
Fuck off. I looked in the archive for discussion of this book and practically every post was about le buck toothed pomo man.
>>
File: 1456280297592.jpg (1 MB, 1424x1424) Image search: [Google]
1456280297592.jpg
1 MB, 1424x1424
>>7877475
I also think Whitman was just a huge bearded faggot. I was taught that his work was important for spreading the idea that slavery was no bueno. However, I counter argued that the only reason Whitman was a slavery sympathizer was because he wanted the bbc ultra deep.
>>
I'm looking to get into Hawthorne a little bit. Any advice on where to start?
>>
>>7877890
His boypussy, if you're feeling bold. Otherwise, start with the mouth.
>>
>>7877890
Scarlet Letter for sure!
>>
File: 1422575255002.jpg (85 KB, 426x266) Image search: [Google]
1422575255002.jpg
85 KB, 426x266
Detested Scarlet Letter. Hawthorne write shallowly hoping to amuse readers with lofty metaphors but is without substance. The whole book can be reduced to a short story if you cut out the dreary 'the letter glows red, as if blah blah blah' parts.

Feels like a colonial-era John Green desu senpai
>>
>>7877475
>>7877859
Walt Whitman invented modern poetry and the value of his own speaks for itself. The idea that Whitman was a massive faggot is as big a meme as Moby Dick being about homosex.
>>
>>7877890
Marble Fawn of course
>>
>>7877990
Modern poetry is shit. Give me Coleridge any day.
>>
I feel like the label purple prose is usually applied unfairly, but in Hawthorne's case I'll make an exception.
>>
>>7878043
You're objectively wrong and more than that the Romantics were just as modern.
>>
>>7878070
Well if the Romantics were modern, then Whitman didn't in any way 'invent modern poetry' and the case of the person I was responding to falls apart.
>>
>>7877890
short stories
Young Goodman Brown
Roger Malvin's Burial
The Minister's Black Veil
The Gentle Boy
Feathertop
>>
>>7878067
Grow up.
>>
>>7878078
>>7878043
the faggot probably means modernist
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.