[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey lit , I need a great book ( that's worth reading) that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 317x159) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 317x159
Hey lit , I need a great book ( that's worth reading) that is either set in Canada or written by a Canadian author. I need it for English 101 , it needs to be a story.
>>
>>7876434
hey bernadette,

I would suggest you look into the works of Alice Munro.
>>
>>7876434
that looks like a really old picture of Toronto.
>>
In the shadow od the wind (Les fous de bassan) by Anne Hébert.
>>
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
>>
Canadian, here:
There aren't any good Canadian books yet
>>
Fifth business? Might be a little too elementary for eng101 though. sunshine sketches of a little town might be a really good choice though (short story collection, but with recurring characters)
>>
>>7877432
I'll add that Sunshine sketches is probably the funniest book to come out of Canada. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read.
>>
David Cronenberg wrote a novel. I haven't read it yet but it might be good.
>>
>>7876434
two solitudes by hugh maclennan is pretty much the epic of quebec pre-1945
>>
>>7876434
The last Canadian, William c. Heine. From 1974. Underrated and pretty good sci-fi.
>>
three day road by joseph boyden
>>
>>7876467
Critically underrated post
>>
Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
>>
Under the volcano by Malcolm Lowry
>>
>no Peter Watts
>>
>>7877364
>but muh Deptford trilogy.
>But muh Michael Ondaatje

Thank you anon. Canadian lit makes me cringe. I wish I could write something we could be proud of but being a second generation I can only write "diasporic" stories
>>
>>7878244
We have some pretty interesting intellectuals, like Marshal McLuhan, Northrop Frye, George Grant, Charles Taylor, and especially some interesting Catholic philosophers.

Our fiction sucks diiiiiiiiiiiick though. Don't fucking tell me to read Munro. I lived in rural Ontario. Fuck rural Ontario. Burn down Hastings.
>>
>>7878256
your fiction sucks bear cock
>>
>>7878244
What's wrong with Ondaatje? or Richler for that matter
>>
>>7876434
Generation X by Douglas Coupland
>>
File: CP00109.jpg (270 KB, 1024x1526) Image search: [Google]
CP00109.jpg
270 KB, 1024x1526
The Wars by Timothy Findley
>>
>>7876434
>I need a great book
>I need it for English 101
>it needs to be a story
you need to learn to write better

check the wiki for books by Canadian authors
I added Canada to the lit by origin section a month ago
>>
The New Canadian Library has a nice collection of Canadian Literature.
>>
>no mention of Saul Bellow
My fellow Canadians, are you illiterate fags even trying? To be fair there have been some decent mentions in this thread, but you idiots moaning "wahh our fiction sux" obviously have your head stuck up your own ass.

>Mordecai Richler
>Morley Callahan
>Andre Alexis
>Guy Vanderghae
>Malcolm Lowry (kind of, but he did write Under the Volcano while in BC)
>Christian Bök (poet, but still amazing)
>Tracey Lindbergh
> Anne-Marie macdonald
>again, my nigga Saul Bellow

step it up
>>
Under The Volcano is as close you're gonna get but him being Canadian is debatable. I hate it when Canadian schools force you to read Canadian literature. Beg to read Lowry and just be glad you're not reading Book Of Niggers or The Illegal, Lawrence Hill is a massive cuck.
>>
Another anon here recently recommended "Canada Made Me"

A book about a young man traveling Canada and thinking that everything in that country sucks
>>
The Orenda by Joseph Boyden
>>
>>7878244
> Canadian Lit makes me cringe

You are basing this off of assumptions of Canadian literature and not Canadian books you've read aren't you?
>>
Autobiography of Red
>>
>>7878804
the most, and only, patrician canadian author.
she literally started with the greeks
>>
>>7876467

I think he'd appreciate Romance of My Wife's Three Boyfriends more
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 658x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 658x1000
GOAT Canadian lit checking in
>>
>>7878902
fuck beat me to it
>>
A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters
>>
Wacousta
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.