[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY THE HELL A PEN WOULD RIDE A BIKE? WHAT A STUPID COVER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: slow le.jpg (126 KB, 282x475) Image search: [Google]
slow le.jpg
126 KB, 282x475
WHY THE HELL A PEN WOULD RIDE A BIKE?

WHAT A STUPID COVER
>>
I don't get it
>>
cause like the pen is just learning how to express itself. it's all like symbolic ya know. dumb nigger :p
>>
>>7876293
thanks for sharing your deepful thoughts
>>
File: 1452137702599.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1452137702599.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7876245

It's a genius cover, of course, by one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time.

The pen is, obviously, a visual metaphor for the writer of this book or any writer of any book or just the act of writing in general.

Have you ever heard the expression, "it's just like riding a bike"? It's a common American saying, meaning what you're about to do is something easy, everybody can do, and once you've learned how to do it, it's almost impossible to forget. You just have to get over that initial fear of doing it. It's one of the fundamental lessons we learn as children.

Another important lesson we learn from the simple act of riding a bicycle is, like Einstein said, "Life is like a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." In choosing this cover, one can infer that Pynchon, one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time, wished to convey a similar sentiment. That even a genius like Pynchon, one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time, had to start somewhere and that he feels his initial attempts were clumsy and full of fear and self-doubt, but one of the most important lessons he learned as a writer was, "keep writing." The picture I attached to this post is from a letter, written by Pynchon, one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time, from early in his career. If you notice in that big chunk of text in the middle, you can see that, indeed, even a genius such as him, one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time, often felt inadequate, frustrated, and dissatisfied with the work he was doing.

Lastly, do you want to know something strange? We, as in "us" as a whole, we the proverbial "people," don't actually know how bikes work. I know, Ripley, it IS hard to believe! Go ahead, you can look it up. Perhaps Pynchon, one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time, was trying to convey this feeling as well?

Ultimately, I think that Pynchon, one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time, chose this visual metaphor for a combination of these reasons. That even he sometimes doesn't understand why he chose "writing" as his life's work or even why others think his writing, in particular, is any good. That he's, essentially, saying to us, "Listen, these are some stories from when I was young. I don't think they're very good and I was just as nervous and afraid of putting myself out there as anyone else. The difference is, I kept writing. I kept working at it. I still don't entirely understand what makes me successful, but it's just something I've always been able to do."

A genius cover, not that I would expect anything less, of course, by one of the preeminent titans of literature in our time.
>>
>>7876308
Thanks for being a bitchboi Kent
>>
>>7876415
>answering this bait
XDDD
>>
>>7876455
Build the wall Pedro
>>
>>7876245
I finished this book a few weeks ago. The best part is Pynchon's commentary on the writing process. It's a rare look into his mentality.

I also enjoyed low-lands if only for Pig Bodine - my hands down favorite Pynchon character.
>>
>>7876415
nice post
It's sure to pop up again in every thread about Pynchon, the preeminent titan of our time
>>
>>7876415
This would make for a great pasta, but unfortunately it is too specific. Kudos for the effort, though.
>>
>>7876245
"Your task, in these dreams, is often to pens"
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.