[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of books did you read for your English teacher?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 500x693) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 500x693
What kind of books did you read for your English teacher?
>>
>>7872844
man I haven't fapped to Abbey Brooks in ages
wonder how she's been
>>
File: gass-by-philip-guston.gif (128 KB, 350x525) Image search: [Google]
gass-by-philip-guston.gif
128 KB, 350x525
>>7872844
The same stuff everyone read for their high school English class--The Great Gatsby, Romeo and Juliet, Catcher in the Rye. On my own time, though, I read a lot of Gaddis, Pynchon, Hawkes, and Gass, who is, and always will be, my favorite writer.
>>
HOLY SHIT. Check out those bazingas. Aaahhwooooooo!!!
>>
>>7872880
What's your obsession with American lit?
>>
File: 1430551573436.png (120 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1430551573436.png
120 KB, 250x237
>15 years old
>English teacher is cute ~24 brunette with "nerd" glasses
>I always make jokes in her class, when she laughs her voice cracks
>muh dik
>read her one of my Pynchonian short stories after class
>"wow that's really great anon"
>puts her hand on my arm and gently moves her fingers
>is that a stroke?
>spaghetti in overdrive
>next day I...
>the next day I come into class with a...
>with a poem
Sorry folks this is painful even now
>I read her the poem (no I will NOT post it here)
>it's very sexual
>"oh.. heh anon I have a boyfriend and I'm your teacher"
>what would Benny Profane do?
>"heh well, what does it matter baby maybe you and I can fuck and let the pigeons watch?"
>"EURGH ANON? GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT"
>mfw
>she always looked at me with disgust from then on

"Oh God what the fuck have I done" were the words that haunted me for years. A decade on from that and I can still see her face. I'm a virgin btw.
>>
>>7872962
>>what would Benny Profane do?
lmao
>>
>>7872910
I only speak English and French, and I don't like translations, so I don't have many options.
>>
>>7872979
>I don't like translations

Nobody 'likes' a translation, not in preference of the original, but you're really willing to miss out on most of literature because of that?

Anyway, English, French and even Irish lit are still superior options to postmodern american lit.
>>
File: dont-bring-home-a-white-boy.jpg (166 KB, 600x913) Image search: [Google]
dont-bring-home-a-white-boy.jpg
166 KB, 600x913
>>
>>7872985
I don't plan on missing out on most lit; I'm just waiting until I learn more languages. And I have read a fair amount of both French and Irish novels.
>>
>>7873009
You're a braver man than I.
>>
>>7873009
>Implying you can learn that many languages that fast so well that you can understand then even close to what you would by reading a translation.
>>
>>7873017
>implying it would be better if I didn't even try
I know I'll have to read translations at some point, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't bother to try to learn new languages.
>>
>>7873060
I'm not saying you shouldn't, but learning them just so you can read some books is pretty ambitious, it takes so long to be that fluent in a language that it's pretty impossible to learn even all of the major ones.
>>
>>7872880
Pat yourself on the back a little more why don't you
>>
>>7872910

>implying reading anything other than the dominant culture of our lives is worth my time...

Please, anon. Grow up.
>>
File: latest[1].png (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>7873068
I'm trying to learn Japanese so I can watch anime without reading subtitles LOL
>>
>>7873068
That's true, I guess. I can always try to make up for that by reading the translation at the same time as the original, though.
>>7873072
Maybe if I had a reason to.
>>
>>7872962
At least you tried anon I had a hot English teacher once I always tried to get close to her but I was way too shy
>>
>>7872844
>15
>hn english 10
>tall brunette with that nice face
>the booty
>tfw always wore skinny jeans and leggings
>tfw decide to send memes to her with other friends that have her class
>tfw make memes about omm and a sui meme for some reason
>get caught, awkward to even look at eachother
>tfw sit right in front of her stool and we make awkward eye contact all the time
>tfw boner and crying inside when i looks at her
>>
>>7872844
my highschool experience turned me away from reading.

high school was raisins in the sun, maya angelou books, i didn't read moby dick or 1984 like other people, and we watched a b-list film adaptation of the odyssey.

i was essentially robbed of my literary experience. as soon as i did get around to reading in my free time as an adult, i realized that education is going to have to be a personal responsibility since it was usurped by public education.
>>
File: image.jpg (246 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246 KB, 1500x1000
>>7872844
>reading for girls
>>
>>7872962
Freshman
>>
File: 169510._UY469_SS469_.jpg (30 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
169510._UY469_SS469_.jpg
30 KB, 469x469
>>7872844
My english teacher apparently had a large collection of books. On the last day of school before the holidays one year, he brought in a stack of books, one specially chosen for each of us. He loaned me The Debt to Pleasure, and I didn't read it because I was a shit. I kept thinking about it for years and eventually ordered found it again and read it.
I'm still not sure why he chose this book for me, but it was enjoyable.
>>
>>7874784
You from Woodland? My girlfriend's teach did the same thing. Chose "on the road" for her. He said he could imagine her doing crazy shit like that.
>>
>>7874838
I was in Toowoomba, Australia at the time
>>
>>7874784
he was hinting you're a greedy psychopath, anon
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.