[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real life shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 936x936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 936x936
Been really getting into Bukoswki lately, just discovered him and can't stop reading. Any authors you know if with his kinda style? I can relate to the whole misery, depression, alcoholic, suicidal characters. I already love Kerouac, Burroughs. Any other down on their luck miserable authors you recommend for a person constantly thinking about the next drink or suicide?
>>
Stop having shit taste and start reading Celine
>>
>>7870169
This is honestly the best advice anybody can give you on the subject, OP.
>>
>>7870171
Not saying that Bukowski is that bad but seriously OP, being told to read Celine is good advice.
>>
>>7870169
OP here, thank you. Sorry to sound like a pathetic bitch in the beginning. I haven't heard of Celine before but quick research and sounds like it's right up my alley. I don't know what it is about Bukowski but I like the stream of consciousness writing and his use of the word cunt and writing about depression and all that shit
>>
OP again...sorry but for someone who hasn't read Celine before what books do you recommend? I'm looking to buy some used books on Amazon tonight while drinking
>>
shane levene maybe, if you're into the whole squalor thing
>>
>>7870194
It seems like you are in a period in your life where you want "fuck the world" literature.
>No Longer Human
>Last Exit To Brooklyn (you said you liked stream of consciousness)
>Nightmare Alley
>Notes From Underground
>>
You should read John Fante who was Bukowski's idol. I've never read Bukowski though.
>>
File: 1451540729844.png (1 MB, 856x894) Image search: [Google]
1451540729844.png
1 MB, 856x894
>>7870194
>while drinking
>mfw OP is still able to somewhat enjoy the aesthetic value of adopting the identity of the "person in pain" and hasn't gotten to the point in depression where that shit isn't nearly enough to keep you going and you end up reaching out desperately to shit like Jesus and self-delusion and preventing yourself from thinking just so that you don't fuckin end it all

Seriously though, man. Don't wallow in your depression too much because eventually the "aesthetics" won't be worth it. Good luck.

Also, Journey to the End of the Night was pretty good
>>
>>7870219
Didn't realize that I wasn't the only one.
>>
>>7870212
Thanks, yeah I guess your right, after 9 months of sobriety and AA meetings I relapsed and been drinking for the last week. When I wake up hungover I spend most of my time reading and I guess the theme has been more "fuck the world" thanks for the recommendations, and "notes from underground" is something I loved reading so can't wait to read what else you have listed. Thanks again
>>
File: 1456836115810.jpg (14 KB, 250x359) Image search: [Google]
1456836115810.jpg
14 KB, 250x359
>>7870183
Yeah YEAH!!!
>>
>>7870194
Used books from Amazon while drunk? I like you already OP.

No Longer Human is probably right up your street. The Stranger is a good call too. Both are short and are worth reading before tackling something bigger like Journey to the End of the Night. If you want something more subtle in its darkness then you could try Raymond Carver's short stories.

Also OP I'm an alcoholic, depressive and an ex-addict, so I know to a certain extent what I'm talking about. I don't think that reading books like these is a bad thing at all. Believing that life is meaningless and shitty doesn't mean that you're automatically an idiot or suicidal, for fuck's sake, Sartre and Heidegger believed it and they didn't off themselves. Remember that in Camus and Sartre's works, the best characters accept that the world is a random godless universe and that things are generally pretty terrible, but that they still persevere because hey - what else is there to do? At least if you live you have the chance of enjoying things occasionally. Besides, a lot of anxiety comes from accepting the reality of the choices of make, and the burden of realising that you always have the opportunity to make choices. Read The Age of Reason if you have the chance too.
>>
>>7870255
Thanks and before I go any further who wrote "the stranger" you're referring to? Can't seem to track down a single author of that title. From what you said you and I are very similar, thanks
>>
File: image.png (228 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
228 KB, 750x1334
OP again, thanks for all the input, about to purchase my next weeks worth of books thanks to you guys
>>
>>7870255
>Used books from Amazon while drunk? I like you already OP.
he sounds banal as fuck, so do you.

>>7870281
Camus. pls lurk more before posting another thread, you're bringing down the quality of the board. I don't mean to hurt your feelings or "flame" you but you're lowering the level of discourse.

when I first started here I was scared to post because of how high quality the average post was. I was afraid these well read motherfuckers would dress me down and make me look like a fool. I can;t tell if it's because I'm more well read now or the board has just gotten dumber but it's not that case anymore.
>>
File: image.png (223 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
223 KB, 750x1334
Part 2
>>
>>7870281
The Stranger is by Albert Camus. It's short, and if you like it his other books are well worth reading too.
>>
>>7870291
Don't worry I won't post for another month or so, I only lurk most in the time anyways, see you guys later
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.