[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who is the david lynch of literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-03-30-16-29-10-41270629.jpg (3 KB, 108x144) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-30-16-29-10-41270629.jpg
3 KB, 108x144
who is the david lynch of literature?
>>
DFW
>>
>>7869405
Kafka.
>>
Philippe Sollers.
>>
>>7869409
he was probably inspired by Kafka and Beckett if most his works are like Easerhead
>>
Knut Hamsun
>>
>>7869422
Eraserhead is a lot more Kafka than his other films. The rest has more Americana.
>>
>>7869422
I wrote a paper a few semesters back on Kafka's influence on Lynch. Some very obvious connections can be drawn from Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, and Erasherhead to Kafka's works. I'd recommend The Castle, OP. It's the most atmospherically unsettling and contains the most menace within the unknown. You know that scene in Mulholland drive where the camera pans behind the dumpster and you're just absolutely terrified as to what you'll come across? The castle is kind of like that.
>>
>>7869545
what the fuck is Americana? in reference to film?
>>
>>7869405
Cioran, he's got the same haircut.
>>
>>7869567
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana
>>
>>7869567
The sort of idealized 50s American feel that opens up to the seedy underbelly and horror.
>>
>>7869405
Haruki Murakami.
>>
File: zIrMH4ubt3iHm4ZCabj3FRlLHWU.jpg (52 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
zIrMH4ubt3iHm4ZCabj3FRlLHWU.jpg
52 KB, 500x750
Who is the Agraharathil Kazhuthai of literature?
>>
>>7869586
oh. makes complete sense then. david lynch confirmed for americana.
>>
>>7869586
And you find this exploration of a seedy underbelly within a seemingly-utopian concept is not be found within Kafka? Or is it primarily the American setting and American tropes that you find distances his works from Kafka?
>>
>>7869704
>Or is it primarily the American setting and American tropes that you find distances his works from Kafka?
Yes.

>>7869622
Well that's now what I said now.
>>
>>7869724
>>Or is it primarily the American setting and American tropes that you find distances his works from Kafka?
>Yes.
Eh. I think this is lazy reasoning. Asserting that Eraserhead is less related to Kafka as opposed to his other films merely because it doesn't utilize American tropes is flimsy. Kafka's 'kafkaness' isn't defined by his location or setting... just as Lynch's american setting doesn't define the subject of his work. They're merely vehicles to explore deeper ideas.
>>
>>7869704
If anything his movies are filled with so many reference to American films from the past that his work is uniquely American even if people don't want to hear it because they hate the idea of associating American with anything 'high'.

>inb4 lynch 'high'
>>
>>7870265
>so many reference to American films from the past that his work is uniquely American
His works are certainly American. My issue is with your assertion that, because of this, he distances himself from Kafka. That's ridiculous. I'm not even sure you have a line of reasoning. References to American works or an American setting doesn't make the subject matter or principal themes within a work 'American'. I suppose Kafka's Amerika is, following this line of reasoning, more similar to films of Lynch than his other works in his own corpus?
>>
M U R A K A M I

please note i dont like murakami but he is similar to lynch in many ways
>>
>>7870326
I agree with that they're similar in some ways, but I'd wager they both take inspiration from the same sources, rather than one uses up the other.
>>
>>7869408
This actually, but only for >>> >>7870074
>>
>>7870306
I don't read Kafka (I only have so much time) so I wouldn't know.
>>
File: RN_L1039317_V12.jpg (73 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
RN_L1039317_V12.jpg
73 KB, 640x430
who is he james benning of literature?
>>
It's really sad that Lynch didn't make the adaptation of Metamorphosis he planned.

>Based on the Kafka story, Lynch was working on the screenplay to this film as far back as the early 80's. At the time, the cost of creating a believable bug (and the technology involved) pretty much put the possibility of the film on hold. However, with the modern advances in CGI, it might be possible now. No word on if Lynch still has the rights to the story though, but he does have a script finished for it.

>Lynch on Metamorphosis: "It's a story that millions of people have read and about a hundred-thousand people have written about, and each one has seen it from a slighly different angle. But...it's just rich with things. But there's a certain kind of dark humor that I love about Kafka and it is his stuff that thrills me to my soul. It's just a completely perfect mood and story and characters. I like pretty nearly everything about it."

http://www.lynchnet.com/upfilms.html
>>
File: 032-the-devils-theredlist.jpg (61 KB, 700x458) Image search: [Google]
032-the-devils-theredlist.jpg
61 KB, 700x458
>>7869405
who's the Ken Russell of Literature
>>
>>7869405
maybe Flannery O'Connor but replace the south with the pacific northwest
>>
>>7870424

I like this one, but particularly for Wise Blood. Most of her short stories are a bit tamer.
>>
>>7870414
check out
>>7868596
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvy-J1BFu8
>>
Herman Brusselmans
>>
I would say James Joyce or Kafka. I can't decide.
>>
>>7869870
>Asserting that Eraserhead is less related to Kafka as opposed to his other films merely because it doesn't utilize American tropes is flimsy
It's the other way round, mate.
>>
>>7871258
This means nothing
>>
>>7870414
Cronenberg could probably pull off an interesting Metamorphosis.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.