[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LOTF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: lord-of-the-flies-small.png (173 KB, 932x600) Image search: [Google]
lord-of-the-flies-small.png
173 KB, 932x600
What is your opinion on Lord of the Flies?
I've only got to chapter 9, and honestly it's kind of boring to me. The whole idea of it is interesting, and the symbolism is neat, but actually reading it is painful.
>>
It is absolute shite, i was angry all through reading it. it was that bad
>>
>>7868769

It's all an allegory for British colonialism.
>>
>>7868769
I read it in high school and liked it. I still remember it as good, but it's been some years since I read it, also.
>>
Land of the Free.
>>
>>7868781
My lit. teacher in high school said it had more to do with anti-Christianism. He suggested it may be a political allegory, but more in touch with the Cold War, rather than colonialism.
>>
>>7868790
It's good for realizing that there's more to reading a book than just what the words tell you I think.
>>
>>7868781
In part yes, the book was about the importance of tradition and unity in a civilization. The main symbol of this is the conch -- similar to the speaking septers used in the greek epics. The practice of using it prevents a descent into anarchy and chaos.

>>7868798
How is this book anti-christian? It seemed to me to speak of the importance of Christian values in western civilization. The need for a saviour. Being children of the Lord. Etc.
>>
Lord of the Fyanguus
>>
>>7868769
The dialogue is cut off a lot so you really have to learn what has been implied. Like >>7868803 said it's a good book for learning how to read with more depth
>>
>>7868830
I'm honestly not sure how he figure it's anit-Christian. I think he meant anti-religious at all maybe. Like how the boys started worshiping the dead pig, and their savage, anti-intellectual natures. Ex: they killed piggy(reason), and instead worshiped their god, and acted like barbarians.

He saw that as. Christians killed and persecute science and reason, and hold the Christian God above all matters in their life.
>>
>be stuck on an island with around 30 children
>fruit trees feed everyone everyday and the hack of an author gives no real description of the fruit running out
>b-but m-muh meat

Christ I hated this book's basic sense in even the children acting like retards and the 200 page British propaganda for colonization
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.