[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: library.jpg (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
13 KB, 259x194
About two months ago I started reading consistently, but I still read pretty slowly. Are there any tips you guys can give me on how to read faster. Is the best thing to do to just keep reading consistently.
>>
>>7867346
Reading speed is largely genetic, just learn to be comfortable with your current rate and use it for pacing purposes.
Don't be fooled by speed-reading tips or techniques they're scam designed to sell a lot of worthless media, also delete this thread before anyone comes here and starts making "recommendations" based on their own inner sadism.
Keep reading though.
>>
Reading is done when the eyes pause over text. With your eyes paused you can read 3-4 words at once, more if you're talented or practiced. So you can break up a line into 2-3 eye movements and go down the page like that.
>>
Reading slowly is better than reading quickly. If anything, those who read quickly should try to slow down.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (49 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
49 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>7868377
(^:
>>
>>7868377
(^:
>>
>>7868377
thanks, friend :^)
>>
Good to see you reading more OP. Most people look down on speed reading, but I speed read and dont miss a thing like some would have you think.

Some tips for reading faster in the short term. Do not sub vocalize, that is read and speak the word to yourself. You can read faster than you speak so stop that. Use your finger to follw the words, set a constant pace. Some people read slow then fast, but you should work on a consistent speed. Keep moving, accept a word for what it is and move on. Just like seeing a stop sign on the street, we recognize "stop" because just like every word it is unique. Thats another key, words look unique and even encounteringba new word you should only be slowed down the first time.
>>
>>7868563
>I speed read and dont miss a thing
How do you know?
>>
I like to read slowly, to give each word the time to grow and "be traced and discovered thoroughly" in my head. Damn, I don't know how to explain this in English, I hope it makes sense to you.
>>
>>7867346
When it comes to literature you should take your time.

You don't run through an art exhibit, glancing at each piece.
>>
>>7868566
Speed reading does not mean I cant read at normal speed too. Its not like I had to give up one for another.

But an example like back in school when a teacher gives the class a chapter to read for the last half of the period. I could read through it in one go and then sit bored or read at normal speed till class is done. Never affected my comprehension or enoyment either way. Reading a funny book like a Pratchett or Douglas Adams I still stop and laugh at the jokes, and rhythm of the text, etc.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.