[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best Buddhist literature? Things including mindfulness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: equiangularSpiral6Bug.png (5 KB, 302x261) Image search: [Google]
equiangularSpiral6Bug.png
5 KB, 302x261
What is the best Buddhist literature? Things including mindfulness?

There are so many options of such varying quality. Any suggestions? Also any tips on maintaining mindfulness day to day?
>>
>>7866728
start with the greeks
>>
>>7866737
the greek buddhists? You mean the stoics? Or are you a mindless memer.
>>
>>7866744
Stoics are quite literally the memest philosophers the world has seen.
>>
File: In The Buddha's Words.jpg (83 KB, 640x968) Image search: [Google]
In The Buddha's Words.jpg
83 KB, 640x968
>>7866744

It's always that last option, always. They don't know the answer to a question, therefore start with the greeks.

Pic related is probably the best place to start.
>>
File: image.jpg (795 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
795 KB, 1536x2048
>books
Missing the point. Stop trying to suck on the finger pointing to the moon, mannnn.

Maintaining mindfulness? There's 4 + 5 + 8 things to remember & 16 things to meditate on. They can fit on a piece of paper, brah.
>>
>>7866755
Okay.

>>7866757
Thank you for the recommendation. I'm just averse to meme humor, mostly because it's not funny.

>>7866772
I understand this point of view. I guess I just feel that if I was more entrenched in the ideas and culture, it might inspire me to continually live my life in a more mindful way. Probably false impresions though.
>>
>>7866728

Try this:
http://www.thegatelessgate.com/category/koans/

Keep a Koan as your object of meditation until it solves you. Then keep another one.
>>
>>7867113
A couple more:

http://oaks.nvg.org/gate-struggles.html
>>
>>7866816
>I guess I just feel that if I was more entrenched in the ideas and culture, it might inspire me to continually live my life in a more mindful way. Probably false impresions though.
no, I think that's right.

the best you're going to hope for in the US/anglosphere is to mentally turn everyday objects into reminder-keys towards mindfulness of the three characteristics of component things etc. so that when you see these things you are strongly reminded to keep your posture and breath etc.

this is an occult technique of great power, but it takes some time and mental groundwork to take off
>>
B Alan Wallace has several good books, I would recommend Minding Closely and Genuine Happiness if you want practical guidance.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.