[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just finished this. it's a masterpiece. what are your thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: 41E4+fttDjL.jpg (31 KB, 323x500) Image search: [Google]
41E4+fttDjL.jpg
31 KB, 323x500
just finished this. it's a masterpiece. what are your thoughts?
>>
Murakami is garbage tb h
I fell to the murakami meme last year 'IT GETS BETTER WITH HIS MAGICAL REALISM, IT GETS BETTER WITH HIS NON FICTION, ETC'. It never got better
>>
>>7866576
japanese john green
>>
>>7866576
I liked it.

I really liked the quirky little girl.
>>
>>7866581
>>7866584
did either of you actually read it
>>
love this book! one of my favorites. second murakami book i ever read. i still feel sort of cheated though, because not everything was resolved. it reminds me of dance dance dance in the whole 'trying to get wife/gf' back type thing, and walking thru walls, and dream sequences. however, most murakami books have recurring themes, etc, so i think its cool.
>>
>>7866589
I got memed into reading ALL murakami books, I got memed pretty hard tb h I'm actually ashamed
>>
File: 9784062748704-us-300.jpg (19 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
9784062748704-us-300.jpg
19 KB, 300x420
From best to worst:

1.HBW
2.After Dark,Rat trilogy
3.Everything Else
4.1q84
5.Colorless Tsukuru
>>
>>7866612
Same here with but with Pynchon.
>>
File: EFRicketts.jpg (48 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
EFRicketts.jpg
48 KB, 283x283
>>7866576

how about we hear your thoughts?

What makes it a masterpiece?

Why is it compelling?

What does Murakami do in other his prose or narrative that other books have failed to?

Otherwise it just seems you want to see whether the board will validate your opinions.
>>
>>7866618
Pynchon is breddy gud, what authors or books do you like ?
>>
thought it was shit
only read it because a qt i want to fuck told me to. i told her i loved it, naturally.
>>
>>7866618
this
he's absolute shite
dude weed lmao genre fiction
>>
>>7866581

Kinda agree with this guy if I'm being honest. Tried to read Kafka on the Shore, then Norwegian Wood and didn't finish either (very rare that I don't finish a book).
>>
>>7866623
>prose

>judging the prose of a translation
>>
>>7866617
after dark is shit bro.
>>
Wind Up Bird was the moment he made the conscious decision to just regurgitate the same shit for the rest of his career. a mediocrity.
>>
Read his short stories to get an idea. Abysmal stuff. 3/10 at best. Good luck 'reading' his novels.
>>
>>7866584
He's not that shit, not even close. I always suggest his first three novels that sort of work as a trilogy. That is desu the only lit worth pieces he ever produced, the rest is very YAish magic realistic trash. His first three books are really short and very worth to read, interesting characters and developments.
>>
>>7866712
why would you start with the fucking short stories?
the novels are not great but they're leagues above his short stories.
>>
comfy:the novelist
>>
>>7866725
Because they were online for free. If he can't even write a good short story, what makes you think he can produce a good novel?
>>
>>7866739
some of his erotic scenes are pretty questionable
>>
File: 1407586641286.jpg (67 KB, 431x446) Image search: [Google]
1407586641286.jpg
67 KB, 431x446
>written in first person
>>
>>7866751
That's not how it works, there are plenty of competent novelists that can't write a short story for shit just as there are excellent short story writers who can't write a novel.
>>
How to write a murakami 'novel'
>don't care about the plot at all, just spout nonsensical garbage
>add cats
>the more absurd the better
>add sex scenes between every character
>don't ever explain anything at all
>don't care about good prose
>>
>>7866797
>judging the prose of a translation
how is his writing regarded in japan?
>>
>>7866807
I actually learnt japanese to read murakami.
Yes I know I got memed
>>
>>7866813
HAHAHAHAHA

at least you can now enjoy other japanese writers yeah?
>>
/lit/'s thing about Murakami just seems to be that you guys expect something amazing from him. Hell, I don't know what you expect. He writes comfy slice of life with weird fantasy stuff in the background. It's an acquired taste and I have no idea why the publishing industry tries to market him as some transcendent literary mastermind.
>>
>>7866867
i saw an interview with him, he seemed really down to earth and didn't take himself seriously
>>
>>7866874
Yeah. He's just a guy who likes to write about sex and weird shit. None of his books read in a very self-important way and he never makes any claims as to how great they are. The way /lit/ acts it's as if Murakami is some kind of BEE-tier drama queen.
>>
>>7866576
I heard there's a lot cut out from the original in the English translation, which is why I've been hesitant to read this one.
>>
how to write a murakami male protagonist

>self described as plain looking and no outstanding characteristics or smarts, etc
>have all the girls in the book reveal they are in love with him
>reveal he gets good grades at school
>usually has rich parents
>>
He's like a super sayain version of Stephan King.

Much better writer, but not a single dimension beyond readability.
You can blow through 1k pages without really thinking of its worth it. And you won't remember much at all.
>>
>>7866668
>>7866618
When I see this I really can't assume Murakami is bad (or good).
>>
File: americanman.png (54 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
americanman.png
54 KB, 275x183
>>7866581
DERETE THISU
>>
>>7866867
yep, Murakami is the writer I read when I want to be comfy. Haven't found anyone else who can make me feel so comfy
>>
the manchurian war part was just brutal

I wonder if we will ever get a full translation, and how much the cut material affects the story.

my least favorite murakami
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.