[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Look at him! He is all goofy and nice and then he writes some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: William-Burroughs-London-1988.jpg (1 MB, 3320x2256) Image search: [Google]
William-Burroughs-London-1988.jpg
1 MB, 3320x2256
Look at him! He is all goofy and nice and then he writes some fucked up shit like Naked Lunch! What the Hell is even going on in this Book? Is there some Background information important to understand that book? Or does anybody understands that book at all?
>>
not all books are meant to be "understood". Just let it take you along for the ride, it might not be for everyone.
>>
>>7865694
Good point anon! I quite enjoyed it but always got the feeling there is some drug related content behind all of that. Like a diary of drugged thoughts and haluzinations
>>
Have a look at the movie, it might partly help
>>
>>7865717
Oh shit there is a movie! Thanks anon
>>
File: burroughs_2181785b.jpg (72 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
burroughs_2181785b.jpg
72 KB, 620x388
>>7865688
>goofy

M8 he looked like a Nazi doctor as a younger man. Very cold and clean and calculated.

Pic related.
>>
>>7865717
Actually a very good suggestion. Instead of trying to do a literal adaptation, Cronenberg essentially expands outward from the source material and creates a psychological portrait of Burroughs which ends up being more about the book than of the book, but still contains plenty of material from the book.
>>
File: burroughscig.jpg (35 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
burroughscig.jpg
35 KB, 600x439
>>7865741
>>
he shot and killed his wife haha what a goofball xD
>>
>>7865749
>>7865741

This is the look I want. Should I take up heroin?
>>
Apparently he had an extensive knowledge of firearms, or so according to the Wikipedia page for The Place of Dead Roads.
>>
File: lol_burroughs.jpg (78 KB, 465x383) Image search: [Google]
lol_burroughs.jpg
78 KB, 465x383
>>7865711
drugs? IN MY BURROUGHS?

please tell me you're joking!!

> he used to cut my grass, he was a very nice boy
>>
>>7866012
this is why all those islamic fanatics went after Salman Rushdie, but they didn't dare go near Burroughs for what he wrote about Mohammed. he would have SHOT BACK.
>>
>>7866260
this is not actually why
>>
>>7866260

"Mohammed? Are you kidding? He was dreamed up by the Mecca Chamber of Commerce. An Egyptian ad man on the skids from the sauce write the continuity. " 'I'll have one more, Gus. Then, by Allah, I will go home and receive a Surah.... Wait'll the morning edition hits the souks. I am blasting Amalgamated Images wide open.'

"The bartender looks up from his racing form. 'Yeah. And theirs will be a painful doom.'

" 'Oh... uh... quite. Now, Gus, I'll write you a check.'

"'You are only being the most notorious paper hanger in Greater Mecca. I am not a wall, Mr. Mohammed.'

" 'Well, Gus, I got like two types publicity, favorable and otherwise. You want some otherwise already? I am subject to receive a Surah concerning bartenders who extendeth not credit to those in a needy way.'

" 'And theirs will be a painful doom. Sold Arabia.' He vaults over the bar. 'I'm not taking any more, Ahmed. Pick up thy Surahs and walk. In fact, I'll help you. And stay out.'

"'I'll fix your wagon good, you unbelieving cock-sucker. I'll close you up tight and dry as a junky's ass- hole. I'll by Allah dry up the Peninsula.'

" 'It's a continent already....'
>>
>>7865717
The plot in the movie has not much to do with the book but it does rescue Burroughs' main goal in the book, and that is to remember what you felt while reading it rather than what's really being said.
>>
>>7865793
Yes. Its a bit moreish however
>>
i'm reading 'executioner!' now it's dope af

cities of the red night was really good too, and his collection of dreams whatever it's called

if you like naked lunch and aren't burnt out on all the little boy sex and insect rape and ominous men in suits by the time you finish, maybe try those?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.