[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What fiction writers were influenced by Wittgenstein in some way?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: url63456345.jpg (47 KB, 635x854) Image search: [Google]
url63456345.jpg
47 KB, 635x854
What fiction writers were influenced by Wittgenstein in some way?
>>
the greeks
>>
People say DFW but they would have to explain it more to me because I don't exactly see it. Wasn't his father into him?
>>
>>7865666
William Gass, who studied under him for a time.
>>
>>7865698
I think DFW's concern was that irony made language a moot point
>>
File: 1453512965145.jpg (65 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
1453512965145.jpg
65 KB, 300x449
>>7865698
>>7865765
Granted I haven't actually read PI or the Tractatus, but I don't see the connection. I don't really see how to incorporate Witty into a work of fiction without it being extremely gimmicky, desu.
>>
File: r2.jpg (527 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
r2.jpg
527 KB, 2048x1536
>>7865781
Well for what it's worth, DFW name drops Wittgenstein in Second 17 of the 84 Minutes interview

(I'm Viennese btw. and without knowing read the Tractatus 300m from the Haus Wittgenstein)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkxUY0kxH80
>>
>>7865698
He namedrops him in The Broom of the System. I'm not really familiar with Wittgenstein's work so I don't know if the book went further than that in terms of incorporating his ideas.
>>
David Markson?
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 435x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 435x326
>>7865992
He doesn't. He literally name drops. Then bust so also he wrote an essay on Wittgenstein's Mistress where he continues to pretend to appreciate the finer points of Ludwig Josef Johann's ideas. It's like when your mother-in-law talks about notes of cherry & chocolate in her wine. Yick.
>>
>>7865765
DFW confirmed missing the forest for the trees, the purpose of language is communication and irony is definitely communication, even if it goes above and beyond the raw linguistics of the situation
>>
>>7866341
Ok uni sophmore. Tip tip sir.
>>
thomas bernard
>>
>>7865666
I-Is "Pynchon" too obvious Mr Satan?

Tractatus is quoted in V. (& GR?) at least, though I can't remember if there was any relevance to it
>>
>>7866434
Not that guy, I sometimes wonder if you folk are self-aware of how void of wisedom/worthwhile things to say you sound or if you're just trolling.
>>
>>7866320
Have you actually read Broom of the System though? It doesn't sound like you have, which would make this entire thing rather ironic.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.