[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: pepe.jpg (49 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
49 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>7862210
>Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

have you read the very short, easily comprehensible and accesible short story infinte jest?
people on here love it and I would really like to talk with someone about it :)
>>
>>7862224
newfag alert
>>
Positive move anon. It's a habit as easy to establish as any other. Start small, work your way up. Too bad most people will never muster the will to read even two pages a few days in a row.
>>
>>7862230
1 and a half year.
my neckbeard is not fully grown yet and sometimes i forget my fedora when going outside to take a walk.
sry anon i am a shame to your community
>>
>>7862242
have you mastered the blockchain?
>>
>>7862245
I literally had to google what that is
>>
Anyone have tips on remembering what I read? Especially when reading more than one book at once
>>
>>7862254
get the frick out of here then
>>
>>7862255
not really, sorry
I tend to read a long/heavy book and then throw in some shorter ones inbetween.
this means that i take a 2-4 day break from my main book, reading the shorter one.

you could write 50 word synapsises(synapsi?) and use them as bookmarks.
>>
>>7862255
take notes
>>
>>7862255
Read things that actually interest you and engage you, instead of stuff you "must" read to be cultured.
>>
>>7862274
dont listen to this guy.

start with the greeks and then read all roman peoples diaries and then the greeks again and then you may read a pynchon novel or two.
beeing patrichian is very hard, but your enlighened salad soul yadadadayadadyadada
>>
>>7862255
I've actually been working a memory system that solves just this problem. Using it, it is possible to memorize a text to any level of detail (including, if you're patient/autistic enough, word for word). Much of it is based on an existing (overpriced and terribly translated) memory course called "Phenomenal Memory". If anyone is interested I can post it here.

The general technique is to use the method of loci to memorize chapters titles which is usually enough to remember everything for most books. This quickly becomes cumbersome if you want more detail however (say page by page or paragraph by paragraph, or if the text has many chapters, like a textbook) so a fully fledged system is necessary
>>
>>7862582
N.B I meant I'd post my system not the "Phenomenal Memory" course (which can be torrented anyway)
>>
>>7862582
Interested... go on...
>>
>>7862586
sure go ahead and post anon
>>
How hard is it to read? Just grab the book, open it, and read.
>>
File: Memory System.png (772 KB, 1366x3682) Image search: [Google]
Memory System.png
772 KB, 1366x3682
>>7862593
>>7862594
Its still a WIP so there may be things which are confusing or unclear, let me know and I'll try to explain them as best I can
>>
>>7862669
Memory and understanding together make a deadly couple
>>
Enjoy not being able to see without glasses in 20 years retard!
>>
>>7862210
an avid reader yet you post ambhiphian silliness?

maybe you are merely mimicking
>>
>>7862210
Thanks a lot for the advice OP. I'm pretty new to reading as an adult, and it's been pretty slow so far. It's nice to hear other people's thoughts on it.
>>
File: 1456278169083.jpg (111 KB, 674x960) Image search: [Google]
1456278169083.jpg
111 KB, 674x960
>all of them sincerely responded to one of the most popular pastas /lit/ had for a while

I've been here for too long.
>>
>>7863134
This proves how much fresh blood has come in.

Abandon ship for the rats are awash.
>>
>>7862274
this is literally it
>>
>>7863134
Post irony mufugga
>>
>>7863134
Ive seen it hundreds of times yet I still respond sincerely.
>>
>>7862949
the image must go with the pasta you newfaggot
>>
>>7863333
best quads I've seen in weeks
>>
how can people be this new?
>>
>>7863422
better than these ones?
>>
>>7862210
why did this become copypasta?
>>
>>7862210
I've sort of become nostalgic for the time when /lit/ was nothing but this pasta and screencaps of that one dfw interview
>>
>>7863484
A lot better
>>
>>7863484
which ones?
>>
>>7863333
noice

>Please support 4chan by disabling your ad blocker on *.4chan.org/*, purchasing a self-serve ad, or buying a 4chan Pass.
>>
>>7862210
best pasta
>>
>good advice is considered a meme on /lit/
>>
File: file.png (248 KB, 815x418) Image search: [Google]
file.png
248 KB, 815x418
>>
>>7863762
Being a frog poster ought yo be a ban-worthy offense.
>>
>>7862210
This is a pasta.
>>
>>7863748
>Doesn't know what a meme is
>>
>>7863767
>hating frogposts and frogposters
jesus christ anon.
>>
>>7862242
I think he is calling you a newfag because you replied to a copypasta as if it was a serious post.
>>
I'm glad this meme lasted long enough to be bastardized by the imgur invaders
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.