[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth it? I feel like writing on PC turns me into an ''editing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: typewriter-hemingway.jpg (203 KB, 1280x898) Image search: [Google]
typewriter-hemingway.jpg
203 KB, 1280x898
Is it worth it? I feel like writing on PC turns me into an ''editing writer''.
>>
File: 1444112667186.png (130 KB, 500x535) Image search: [Google]
1444112667186.png
130 KB, 500x535
>>7861052
>>
Writing on a PC makes my writing sound schizophrenic. When I write on paper it looks like an entirely different person writing. Never tried a typewriter
>>
the maintenance isn't worth it
>>
OP I own around 5 typewriters and trust me, if you know what you're doing and don't buy a piece of shit machine you won't have to do any maintenance (besides changing a ribbon or something)

It is worth it if you do your research and actually plan on using the damn thing.
>>
>>7861080
Any recs on a cheap but good typewriter?
>>
>>7861052
It's neat. I have a really old one that need maintainence so I don't use it often. But if I had well tuned electronic one from the 80s, I would prefer using it.

I agree with you that writing on a PC makes me an editing writer. It takes twice as long to get something down because I keep going back and changing and questioning it
>>
>>7861153
>>7861061
>>7861052

I don't understand why being an "editing writer" is a bad thing.

I have the strong belief that as artists no matter what medium you are doing, we should embrace technology as much as possible and use it for every creative advantage we can muster.

Being an "editing writer" means you have the potential to refine writing on the fly so that it's perfect for you, I am sure many writers of the past would have loved this ability.
>>
>>7861164
>I have the strong belief that as artists no matter what medium you are doing, we should embrace technology as much as possible and use it for every creative advantage we can muster.

Pure ideology. Have you considered the possibility that the lack of consequence in writing, the speed and possibility to change on the fly also may have negative repercussions as they don't require careful and slow thinking anymore?
>>
>>7861173
Have you considered that any disadvantages offered by writing on a PC derive entirely from your own weakness of discipline?
>>
>>7861928
that's bullshit.
if you spend even a fraction of your energy on restricting yourself from doing something, soon you'll spend all your energy on restricting yourself.

healthy creative mentality dessu zenbai
>>
>>7861962
Are you endorsing the method of vomiting words onto paper and then editing it later?

Why should you rely on your tools to refine your creativity, instead of practicing a mental state that is both rapid and precise?

Attributing such power to a machine seems like a cop out.
>>
>>7861972
>cop out
Well yes, yes it does seem like a cop out, but then again your argument also seems like a "no true Scotsman" type deal.

I don't know, maybe I'm just not that intelligent then, but I honestly don't feel like I should spare even a nanometer of my brain synapses on focusing to consciously *not* do something. The more I need to focus on myself, the less I can focus on the fucking story

>vomiing words onto paper
God I hope not. Isn't it much easier to vomit when you know you can go back and edit any time you want? But nooo you'll refrain yourself from that.
>>
>>7862006
I should probably make it known that I'm not as vehemently anti-typewriter as I'm coming across. The phrase "editing writer", and the way it was used, made it seem like an undesirable trait, and that there was greater virtue to writing with tools that force you to slow down and edit internally, so to speak.

My stance is that, regardless of aspirations to being a writer, human beings should be striving to cultivate a mind capable of it's finest work no matter the circumstances. It may sound like ideology, but your will is what comes into play here, not the typewriter, not the computer.

That being said, I freely admit that I have troubles writing, like everyone else, and if you think a different means of output would help, then by all means go for it, but know that the root problem will remain.
>>
>>7862034
I guess it will. To an extent I'm secretly trying to defend the state of being a hack one-hit wonder.

The only way that putting some restrictions to the tools you polish your writing skills on might make sense is if you're aspiring towards journalism or some similar kind of serial deadline writing profession. Maybe you don't want to see the typewriter you're dependent on break down at the worst possible time. Completely legit.

But for literature, in a self-employed publishing-just-for-artistic-merit setting? In my opinion, who cares? You only want to put out quality work anyway, even if it's just one or two novels for your entire lifetime.
>>
don't get one to feel like a writer, get one if it helps you to write. I got one about a year ago and its helped my writing greatly. But don't be an idiot and get some old ass monster of a machine that just looks cool and doesn't write efficiently
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.