[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hi /lit/. I am learning french for some time now and I will start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: french.jpg (291 KB, 1446x1144) Image search: [Google]
french.jpg
291 KB, 1446x1144
hi /lit/. I am learning french for some time now and I will start reading books in french. Can someone, who is native speaker or speaks is very well help me with a list o chart od best french literature, from classic to moderen? I heard that Camus in good for the beginig, so I read the essay L’été and I understood most of it.
>>
Pierre de Ronsard
Joachim du Bellay
Agrippa d'Aubigné
Honoré d'Urfé
Molière
Pierre Corneille
Voltaire
Marquis de Sade
Benjamin Constant
Alphonse de Musset
Hugo
Balzac
Verne
Marcel Proust
Romain Gary
>>
>>7860232
I'm doing the same. I'm about a quarter through L'étranger now, next I was thinking about Voltaire or continuing Sartre with Nausea.
>>
>>7860430
*Continuing existentialism with Sartre
>>
watch especially this guy for vocabulary
>merci professeur
http://www.tv5monde.com/cms/chaine-francophone/lf/Merci-Professeur/p-17081-Merci-Professeur.htm

also available on
https://www.youtube.com/user/einzahlquittung/playlists
>>
>>7860266
Have you ever read these authors in french? They are not quite easy to understand by a beginner.
>>7860232
I would recommend, OP, to still stick to Camus and Sartre. Since french is my third language and I found it really helpful these books. Maybe always with a dictionary by your side. Also, http://www.etudes-litteraires.com is a french forum and the people is nice there. You can find variety and interesting stuff. Good luck,OP!
>>
Camus and Sartre might be easy to read, but it's nevertheless shit litterature, get into flaubert he's not that hard to understand.
>>
>>7860528
>>7860537
>>7860498

merci à tous. French is my third foregin languege, but I curently live in France which really speeds up the process .I read a lot of french authors in my native tongue or english, so that will make it a bit easier.
Haha, I cant remeber which was the first book I read in englis, I think it was Of mice and men. Anyway, reading in foreign language is always a challenge but also so very beautiful
>>
>>7860232

Amélie Nothomb
Christine Angot
Marc lévy
Guillaume mussolini
Edouard Drumont
Ernest renan
Léon daudet
Louis Ferdinant Céline
Sade
Joseph de Maistre
René Guénon
Léon Bloy
Bernanos
>>
>>7860537
>Flaubert
>not that hard to read
You have to be basically fluent in French to read Flaubert
>>
>>7860232
About time you learnt French.
>>
>>7861169
Is this a joke? You don't want him to hate the language he's learning right ?
>>7861185
Nonsense, and even if that was true, the harder the book is, the more you learn, with dedication
although

The first english book I read was Dubliners, it's not particulary easy, and I'm still far from articulate or well spoken in this language.
>>
File: jtteotn.jpg (37 KB, 222x346) Image search: [Google]
jtteotn.jpg
37 KB, 222x346
>>7860232
To the French people here,
How difficult would it be to read Journey to the end of the night?
>>
>>7861260
Not a French speaker but I know Celine has a reputation for using slang or argot heavily. So he might be a tough assignment for somebody learning French.
>>
>>7861260
Not that difficult, the prose is quite accessible.
>>
>>7861272
>>7861260
This one is the most "conventional" of his books, pretty understandable for an average reader.
As for a learner,I wouldnt' recommend it in the first place, but wouldn't prohibit it neither.
>>
>>7861260
I'm a native french speaker and sometimes I could not understand the book because of its use of slang or argot. I think you can try but it will be kind of a hard read.
>>
>>7861297
>>7861289
>>7861283
>>7861272
Thank you.
>>
>>7861238
You probably can read Flaubert without being fluent, but the irony and the subtelties lingering at every sentence's corners that actually make his novels worth reading would probably be lost. Even high-schoolers, whose knowledge in French should be sufficient enough, don't get it and complain about the stories being uninteresting and cliché. It might depend more on artistic and literary sensibility than pure language skills, but it's difficult to unfold the former's potential without the latter being solid first.

>>7861260
>>7861272
Especially since it's fairly outdated slang. It's quite useful if you plan on reading more literature from the time period, which is particularly rich especially if you're into the World War I. On the other hand, the grammar isn't that complicated if I remember correctly. May be worth a try, depending on your confidence, and whether or not you feel ready to look up lots of words. I'd probably start with something easier, still.
>>
>>7860232
Read De Sade, you won't regret it
>>
>>7861374
What's a good piece to start with
>>
>>7861314
I agree with your take on Flaubert. The subtle hint of misanthropy hidden in Flaubert's prose is what makes reading his work a delight. Through the narrator's tone and choice of words, you can almost feel the disgust Flaubert has for some of his characters (this shouldn't surprise anybody who's read his correspondence).

Perhaps OP should read a few short stories by Guy de Maupassant, which are easy to understand and wonderfully written.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.