[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On the subject of 'emoticons'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: smile.png (1 KB, 338x337) Image search: [Google]
smile.png
1 KB, 338x337
Do you personally agree with the usage of "emoticons" in conversations between two people through a text based client? (an example, IRC)
[Will post my personal opinion a few posts down.]
>>
As long as my schlong is getting sucked it's fine by me
>>
>irc
ayy hows it going : )
>>
i personally find them deeply appealing. those who turn up their noses at them are bores. >:3
>>
Only if repeated conversation leads to a steady flow of usage. Can't be forced right off the bat
>>
I only use ironic emoticons
>>
they are pretty symbolic of the 'new internet user' (ie. mom using the internet for the first time) and otaku/asian communities (which of course spread to the rest of the world and are becoming more prevalent and "emojis" are a thing now?)

i think a lot of IRC users, at least the older ones, would prefer using /emote commands in place of something like a smiley face, if anything.
>>
I'm not sure how to feel about anything that Montaigne didn't write an essay about.
>>
>>7859167
XD
>>
>>7859167
:0
>>
>>7859154
True enough. Though, I do see a high usage of ":V" or ":l" and such in IRC channels, or in peer2peer messaging. I believe the individual may use them in order to clarify what emotion might be felt at the time.
>>
File: 1459066178128.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459066178128.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
What the fuck do people use emoticons
>>
>>7858937
>Agree with

What do you mean? Is this in terms of following the 'correct rules' of language?

Language is about communication; emoji aid in communication and so are consistent to that. Their deployment can result in differing tones that can be hard to achieve otherwise with brevity.
>>
The only emoticons worth using:
>.>
:^)
;')
>>
>>7860552
So you agree with it. That's all I was asking.
>>
Only acceptable emoticons
:3
>:3
-_-
;)
;3c
o_O
>>
>>7859103
>using ironic emoticons
>not using emoticons ironically
Retard. Irony is not visible without context.
>>
>>7858937
I am deeply oppossed to 'emoticons' for moral, philosophical and aesthetic reasons
>>
>>7860834
You must be very a boring person :) ;) :P sP
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.