[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >Not taking notes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: Notes.png (79 KB, 1146x626) Image search: [Google]
Notes.png
79 KB, 1146x626
>2016
>Not taking notes
>>
>the Iliad is the hot new young adult book of this season
>>
File: 1458890033037.jpg (51 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1458890033037.jpg
51 KB, 514x536
>taking basic shit level notes
>acting like this is something you invented
>kys
>>
>>7856141
>implying anybody else on /lit/ bothers with notes
>>
>>7856158

no, you're right. You're the only person in the world who can write three connected sentences.
>>
>>7856233
Actually I wrote the notes of the left too, the notes on the right are notes of the notes
>>
>>7855980
Is that stuff really important? If you're not going to write about it then why bother?
Are you doing it because it makes you happy or because it makes you feel smart?
>>
>>7856259
It makes me feel smart desu
>>
taking notes breaks my concentration. if i really need to gain clarity over something i reread it until i have full comprehension. if i can't wrap my mind around it maybe i'll make a bullet list or something but that's pretty unusual unless we're talking tough philosophical shit which is usually only hard to understand because of how badly its written (benjamin for example).

also your notes are fucking elementary.
>>
>>7855980
Get off your high horse faggot. I have filled multiple notebooks jusf over the past few months, but I recognize that note taking isn't for everyone.

PS your notes aren't that good. Why so much detail in the main body? "Apollo answered and came down" that doesn't matter unless you're writing a fucking paper about the Iliad.
>>
>>7856337
How would you suggest taking notes?
>>
>>7856357
Less emphasis on details and plot specifics. Stuff like Homer especially will kill you if you try to record all the details, because the actual plot is relatively simple; you don't want to have pages of notes about the Trojans pushing the Greeks down to their ships, only to be pushed back from the beach all the way back to their wall, and then all over again. Or like Homer's catalogue of ships: A note of "Homer's extensive listing of the Greek participants in the war is likely due to the typically verbal performance of the story, with such exhaustive lists acting as a nod to each of the varied listeners of different Greek origins" is more insightful and helpful than "and the Euboean Greeks under Arymandes sent 8 black beaked ships..."

Give yourself a basic plot summary so you can glance at it and be reminded of what's generally going on, but for anything beyond that just use wikipedia. With the Greeks especially the plot, even in nonfiction, isn't that important, or at least not compared to the pretexts/causes of events, the motivations fueling them, and the ideologies and belief systems supporting those motivations.

For example, if you're reading Thucydides it doesn't really matter that Athens fucked itself by invading Sicily when already struggling to maintain a war within Greece proper; what matters is that the Athenian command was being led astray by self-serving demagogues hoping to secure long term wealth for themselves and the state, while failing to come to terms with already existing political exigencies. The real story isn't one of Athenian invasion, but of human tendency to overreach.

With that said, it's already great that you make a habit of taking notes. Fine tuning them is a lot easier than forcing yourself to take them in the first place. Just don't waste tons of time recording plot points which aren't very useful, and which can be found on wikipedia, anyway.
>>
I've always wanted to take notes on books I'm reading, mainly to force myself to think better about the important points below the surface, but it just feel pointless and a waste of time when I finally get down to it.

Please /lit/ tell me your secrets
>>
>>7856237
Bravo!
>>
>>7857874
This is nice advice folks
>>
File: postits.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
postits.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>not using post-it flags
Lmao fucking dilettantes
>>
I don't understand the point of that. Like, there's wikipedia and a billion other sites of plot summaries.
>>
>>7855980
Terrible notes
>>
File: 360_Kid.jpg (65 KB, 376x183) Image search: [Google]
360_Kid.jpg
65 KB, 376x183
>>7855980
>>7858353
>reading """classic""" garbage
>posting about it on /lit/
>>
>>7858214
It's called doing it anyways.
>>
do i write on the book's pages? or do i get a notebook to write it on, i dunno lmao
>>
>>7858364
get out
>>
>>7858378
Don't be a fucking mongoloid, don't defile your fucking books
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.