[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to brush up on my history. What are some of the strongest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: caesar.jpg (98 KB, 450x592) Image search: [Google]
caesar.jpg
98 KB, 450x592
I need to brush up on my history. What are some of the strongest books about Roman history?
>>
>>7855198
Plutarch parallel lives, at least Caesar and Cato
>>
>>7855218
thanks man, this looks very relevant.
>>
>>7855198
Titus Livius
>>
>>7855198
Livy
>>
>>7855198
it's a bit out of date but History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbon is still a classic
>>
File: 1422954146627.jpg (212 KB, 1070x444) Image search: [Google]
1422954146627.jpg
212 KB, 1070x444
>>7855198
>>
>>7855198
annotated bibliographies
Roman Army
http://pastebin.com/iiyMSsDP
Roman Empire
http://pastebin.com/ibgv0LH6
Roman Cities
http://pastebin.com/PN4dRtGe
>>
>>7857802

i need a corn edit for wealth of nations as well.
>>
>>7857802
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN
>>
Whay about "The Twelve Caesars" by Suetonius?
>>
He wants to brush up his history, all of these recommendations are bad for this. I'm not saying they are bad works but you are all suggestion things that are incredibly unreliable and contain huge amounts of falsity.
>>
>>7860925
Who cares? All other sources are just speculating off of the ones we posted.
>>
File: 51jM2bDL+xL.jpg (35 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
51jM2bDL+xL.jpg
35 KB, 324x500
>>
>>7860952
Well asides from the fact that this statement is just wrong the person who wants the most accurate view of the Romans would care.
>>
I have a 12-volumes leather bound set on Roman emperors that is really, really great. In-text Latin and Ancient Greek quotes, dozens of pages of references.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.