[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Idiot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: The_Idiot_(book_cover).jpg (7 KB, 150x235) Image search: [Google]
The_Idiot_(book_cover).jpg
7 KB, 150x235
Is it one of Dostoevsky's weaker novels? Or, is it his best?
>>
I haven't read it
>>
>>7854482
why did you post this
>>
I read it
>>
neither and both desu baka senpai cuck
>>
Haven't read it, OP. Why you asking?
>>
It's mixed. Some of it is near-unbearable, some of it is bretty brillz
>>
1. The Brothers Karamazov
2. Crime and Punishment
3. The Idiot
4. Notes from the Underground
5. The Gambler
6. The Double
>>
Not sure. I read 5 pages of TBK before returning it to the library. Very boring.
>>
Just started part 3 and so far it's good. Not Brothers Karamazov good but good.
>>
>>7854473
I got up to part 2 like 4 years ago and just stopped. It's still lying around somewhere in my home. Should I bother finishing it?

I liked crime and punishment but even with that, the pacing was too slow a lot of the time.
>>
Couldn't get passed the first paragraph.
>>
I haven't read Demons yet, but I'd bet it's the waker of his great novels. It' is too slow, too long to be so uneventful, and the archetype its hero represents is much better represented by Alyosha in TBK, anyway.
>>
>>7854639
"I read less than 1% of a novel and wasn't engaged, must be trash!"
>>
File: idiot.2003.09.avi.image3.jpg (12 KB, 320x192) Image search: [Google]
idiot.2003.09.avi.image3.jpg
12 KB, 320x192
I feel like The Idiot is his best novel, with only Brothers coming close to it. If you can't get interested in Myshkin and his influence on other people then you should drop it because you won't end up liking it, though.
>>
>>7854818

It's because you're thick

> passed

Past.
>>
It's his most character focused novel. That said it has some of the most complicated and interesting characters in any of his books. It's a flawed novel, especially in its episodic format, but it's still very good. It took me a long time to appreciate it, I found I enjoyed it much more later on after I had finished it upon thinking very deeply about it.
>>
>>7854847

Millennial attention span.
>>
>>7854473

The Idiot is quite good. Writing Myshkin first is one reason Alyosha is such a good character.
Fodie Doder only has one weak novel, The Adolescent.
>>
I picked up The Idiot because I thought it was OP's biography

:^)
>>
>>7854473
i gotta friend who reeeally likes it & another friend who thought it was hella boring so idk it's controversial i guess?
>>
What translation is the best except P&V if I'm willing to read Dostoevsky in this >>7854634 order?
>>
It's alright in parts. It's like ninety percent dialogue. I've read it twice and the second time I stopped about 3/4 of the way through because there is so. much. talking. Not a bad book though.
>>
>>7854639
>>7854847
>>7854913

i cant tell which post is bait
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.