[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Stanford's English program? I just got in and I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: N2cIW5h2.png (231 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
N2cIW5h2.png
231 KB, 1000x1000
How is Stanford's English program? I just got in and I can't decide between Yale and Stanford.
>>
Oh, forgot to mention, does anyone know the best places to buy jumbo condoms at Yale or Stanford? Great big jumbo condoms?
>>
Oh and also does anyone know a good place to take my 10/10 girl for some fine dining before i use those jumbo condoms? Money is not an object.
>>
>>7851517
I didn't go to Stanford or Yale, but the one piece of relevant info I can offer you is that the number of students majoring in the humanities fields has shrunk rapidly as tech became the trendy field for yuppies, and that may be less than 10% of tee student body now. Not just English: all humanities. People have taken to calling it the Stanford Institute of Technology.

That said, I'd rather live in Palo Alto than New Haven, but the whole New England/Ivy thing is fun too.
>>
>>7851517
Bloom is at yale
>>
>>7851590
Bloom died last week, reddit
>>
>>7851517
depends on your interests and personality i guess, but in general, yale.
>>
>>7851590
but he only takes legacy admissions students into his class to keep the chinks and overachieving proles out of his sight
>>
>>7851590
why would any serious literary theorist want to study with bloom? his man claim to fame is some old ass big from a lifetime ago that even he doesn't bother trying to pretend to understand, and a bunch of pop shit for plebs...if u want to be a literary badass go study with Spivak at Columbia or Butler at Berkeley, the only point of going to Yale is to meet the sons of hedge fund managers who can get u an internship on Wall st. and the only reason to go to Stanford is to meet the sons of venture capital fund managers who can get ur startup funding.
>>
>>7851517

I'm a Stanford alum. Stanford English is top-notch but you will feel like a second-class citizen if you are not an English and CS double major or something. Of course Yale's culture has its own drawbacks.

You should make campus visits before you decide. Also individual professors could factor into your decision but I wouldn't count Bloom at this point. He's 85.
>>
File: smug bateman.jpg (62 KB, 600x327) Image search: [Google]
smug bateman.jpg
62 KB, 600x327
>He was part of that whole Yale thing
>>
>>7851612
That's what I'm most worried about. It seems like Stanford has a community centered around STEM, whereas Yale is more centered around the humanities, but I like the California environment more than New Haven.
>>
If your options are as equally harmonious as this, it should come down to personal preference that no one here can answer for you. Although as someone from the northeast, I say go to Stanford.
>>
>>7851612

How smart is the average Stanford student compared to studetns from other places?
>>
>>7851785
very STEMlord smart but also very /reddit/
>>
>>7851517
Connecticut is really fucking cold.

I'd pick Stanford just for the weather.
>>
>>7851517
Yale is cooler

who wants to live in California, its hot all the time
>>
>>7851609
School of Resentment got triggered hard
>>
>>7851517
Yale and Stanford decisions haven't come out yet.
>>
Ok now what about the jumbo
condoms
>>
I had the same dilemma and chose Stanford. There is a stigma towards humanities majors but on the whole I'm happy with my decision and would recommend
>>
>>7853011
Where did you buy your condoms?
>>
wew lad you'll get indoctrinated by the SJWs.
have fun being a future cuck.
>>
>>7851517
>>7851524
>>7851531
Ah, I see. This is bait.
>>
OP here. The jumbo condom guy isn't me, and Stanford came out on the 25th. Also, I applied early to Yale.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2016/march/admit-admission-announce-032516.html
>>
>>7853736
yep, great thread
>>
>>7851517
Out of interest, how do you afford the $60,000 per annum tuition fees?
I live in the UK where at a maximum fees are ~$13000 a year, but the loan terms are so generous you basically never need to pay it back, I can't imagine how I could possibly pay that much.
Have you got a scholarship, or are you just rich or what?
>>
>>7854133
iirc stanford waives tuition for <$125k families and also waives room and board for <$65k
>>
>>7851517
go to yale. stanford is full of stemlords. yale, less so
>>
>>7854133
This anon >>7854149 is right, Stanford and I think all Ivies now scale their tuition with your family's income. You're only paying that full $60k if it's almost inconsequential to you. I have a friend who's a freshman at Stanford and is supported by a single mother that works as a janitor, so he pays absolutely nothing to attend.
>>
>>7853986
If you want to major in the humanities then go to Yale. New Haven is a great place, Bloom teaches there, and it's got this cozy vibe that you find anywhere else except at good east coast unis like the Ivies, UChicago, and the good liberal arts colleges.
t. Yale art history grad student whose brother did Classics at Stanford and hated it.
>>
File: 1391501163052.jpg (41 KB, 400x570) Image search: [Google]
1391501163052.jpg
41 KB, 400x570
>>7854294
>tfw UChicago PhD candidate
>>
>>7854294
Also, according to my brother Stanford has a lot of arrogant STEMlords who think that the humanities are for girls with mediocre intelligence and people who don't have a good work ethic. They also fancy themselves as the next Zuckerberg who'll start this incredibly successful upstart.
>>
>>7854300
It's a great uni. I had a gf who did History there and I visited her a lot. The campus was so beautiful and cozy, especially in the winter. What subject are you pursuing a PhD for?
>>
>>7854306
You can easily combat that by being the arrogant literature guy who thinks that STEM is for lower consciousness plebs/autists who go through life solving little puzzles without ever coming to a deeper understanding of human nature and existence
>>
>>7854309
Yeah it's gorgeous. I was really happy that my top choice academically was also the city and campus I liked most.

History, actually. How did she like the department?
>>
>>7854312
Yeah but the STEM guys at Stanford have strength in numbers. Besides, only at Yale would you be able to say "I go to New Haven." Stanford's campus is also really ugly and has this strange yellowish tinge to it.
>>
>>7854323
She really liked it. This is very unlikely but you didn't happen to know a black-haired, blue eyed girl by the name of Emma, nicknamed Em?
>>
>>7854333
>only at Yale would you be able to say "I go to New Haven"
Yeah but if you go to Stanford you get to say "I go to Stanford"
>>
>>7851517

Not as good as Berkeley's =]
>>
>>7854672
you mean not as SJW infested as Berkeley's?
>>
>>7854387
Both sound impressive but New Haven has the advantage of making you sound cool in an East coast, old money way.
>>
>>7854339
Ahhhh... I know her VERY well. Long tongue on the one.
>>
>>7854830
Fellow Uchicago reporting in. I mean, who -doesn't- know Em lol?
>>
File: 1455581539992.jpg (68 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1455581539992.jpg
68 KB, 633x758
>tfw everyone on /lit/ says they go to top-tier schools
>tfw you just got rejected from all your dream school and will probably go to the pleb state school that all your high school "friends" are going to
>>
>>7854890
Don't worry; you're probably going to pay much less money for the same degree of education. At an undergraduate level, where you go hardly matters at all as long as it's a relatively well-established school.
>>
File: 1455583910682.png (64 KB, 507x540) Image search: [Google]
1455583910682.png
64 KB, 507x540
>>7854957
Even so - I wanted to be around smart and interesting people in a new place. I wanted to start over.
>>
>>7855059
State-school fag here. You'll be able to find plenty of smart people, you're just going to have to weed through the masses morons who also attend here. There's so many people at big state schools.you're going to have plenty of interesting people among 20000+ undergrads.
>>
File: me on the right.jpg (91 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
me on the right.jpg
91 KB, 800x530
>>7854830
>>7854837
You're dead kiddos
>>
>>7854672
That's a graduate school ranking.

It totally isn't, r/trees can get fucked. GO BEARS
>>
File: Evangelion 3.2.jpg (23 KB, 714x480) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion 3.2.jpg
23 KB, 714x480
>>7854675
>tfw the GSI cautions us not to discuss medieval literature with anachronistic terms like "feminist" or "misogynistic"
>>
>>7855059
You can still start over. The future's whatever you make it. It's what within you that counts. Plenty of dipshits go to ivy league schools:

http://yogadork.com/2015/02/05/how-i-went-broke-trying-to-teach-yoga/

this daffy cunt got a degree in law from harvard

conversely, plenty of great people got started at state schools. it only means as much as you want it to.
>>
>>7856523
>no period after the parenthesis.

beyond... .belief.... i'm telling your syster about this
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.