[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"This sentence is false". Philosophers can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 1445578790823.jpg (1 MB, 1920x975) Image search: [Google]
1445578790823.jpg
1 MB, 1920x975
"This sentence is false".

Philosophers can't even solve this small thing.
Seeking knowledge is pointless.

It's better to drop the whole philosophy shtick and just read genre literature.
>>
>>7850902
What a poor soul.

I hope your life will be better one day anon.
>>
I can solve it.
>>
>>7850915
You're the archetype of [I don't know anything but I choose to ignore subconsciously anything that I don't understand]
>>7850922
Sure.
>>
it's a paradox, it doesn't have a solution. that's the whole point.
>>
>>7850944
This. Op is a fuckknob
>>
>this is what analytics actually believe
>>
It was solved by Tarski in the 40-50s. Truth is a metalogical property, denied from all object-languages exactly because it gives rise to paradoxes such as the Liar.

>Seeking knowledge is pointless.
The computer that you use to create threads like these was built exactly because someone had sought knowledge.
>>
>>7850902
Philosophy is dead anyways, most of it was speculation that was proved wrong ages ago. Science is th only thing you really need to understand anything and spirituality as well. Nietzsche went insane from looking at a horse for fucks sake, I was reading Plato and it seems like it's just an overcomplication of things most people already know, when was th least time philosophy actually solved any problem in our world? Exactly never
Remember that Socrates and Aristotle were still scientists, which is why everyone learns about them in freshman earth sciences.
You can't really prove any philosophy without shut like >objective reality or >epistemology or some sort of clearly garbage logic. It's really just bullshit that makes you have a twisted worldview, Siddhartha and the bible are the only two books of philosophy anyone needs.
>>
>>7850957
Doesn't mean that there is any point in having created a computer baka
>>
>>7850978
>Siddhartha and the bible are the only two books of philosophy anyone needs.
You were building up your point to demolish it completely.
>>
File: Twiggy004.jpg (1 MB, 1348x1648) Image search: [Google]
Twiggy004.jpg
1 MB, 1348x1648
this sentence is false (false = y) = x (false = x)
x ≠ y
>>
>>7850978
Sorry for the grammar mistakes.>>7850987
No not really, I'm saying that the two books that deny philosophy and encourage denying the self or selfish reasoning end up being the only realistic philosophies in the modern worlod, try again.
>>
>>7850989
Either I'm retarded or this is nonsense.
>>
>>7850989
or i could play with the isness!
>>
>>7850994
>Either I'm retarded
Shouldn't have said that
>>
>>7850989
But false=y =/ x thus false =/x

X= a unknown integer and so it can't be proven try again
>>
>>7850994
the isness changes when you go from within to without
>>
>>7850993
>deny philosophy
By providing an alternative philosophy?
That's now how it works.
Do you even know what philosophy is?
>>
>>7851000
the x and y simply demonstrates the shift from isness 1 to isness 2
>>
>>7850986
Wewwwww such smart, basing your bait on the equivocal nature of "pointless"

Let me show you my bat.

>>7850989
For the love of Jesus Christ and Christ Jesus stop posting.
>>
is does not just mean equal to it can mean a characteristic of and other things you are homogenizing the isness
>>
File: TwiggyLaugh2.gif (752 KB, 245x138) Image search: [Google]
TwiggyLaugh2.gif
752 KB, 245x138
>>7851016
good point
>>
>>7851021
>>7851016
you forgot to remove tripcode
>>
>>7851029
No, Twiggy is more than one person.
>>
>>7851016
this
>>
>>7851038
Kill yourself
>>
>>7851004
I know philosophy can't be proven logically without accepting unproven or flat out wrong theses that deny basic human physiology in many cases (see Spinoza or Evola) or without resorting to metaphysics or epistemology which in the case of epistemology is entirely wrong and in the case of meta physics dubious at best (see Einstein's theory of relativity). Truth doesn't exist outside of science or math thus philosophy can not be proven true. However we can say that the world is constant and ever changing (see your freshman science textbook) or that ladybugs are usually black and red and we know we aren't committing a paradox we know that is true and yet we don't call it philosophy only a fact or a proof. Neither book provides an alternative philosophy only describes a certain interpretation of our interpretation of humanities place in the universe, they too may be true or untrue based on your own reasoning. Try again this time take the stick out of your ass.
>>
>it doesn't have a solution
You're all retarded.
It has a solution.

"This sentence is false" = S

S -> ¬S

A simple case of contradiction.
>>
>>7851053
Haha * a certain interpretation of humanities
>>
>>7850978
Socrates was not a scientist? He was neet, thinker and shitposter irl he havent write anything because probably cannot. He was equivalent of modern times edgy teenager. If not cause of Plato he would be completely forgoten
>>
>>7851010
No I just know what the word means bruh. Too bad you don't.
>>
>>7851045
there would just be another twiggy to take her place.

I am moving up the ranks and hope to become a certified Twiggy someday
>>
>>7851066
No you didn't read that right I actually said the opposite
>le the Greeks were just like us
Hahahahaha kill yourself.
Do you know what a scientist is Billy?
>>
>>7851054
>contradiction
Not really. Contradictions have the form of P & ¬P.

All you had to do was state S and ask if S is true. If it is true, then it is not true, and if it is not true, then it is true, aka S |- S & ¬S.

The alternative, which is close to your "solution", is 'S -> ¬S -> S -> ¬S -> ...', but it only works if you postfix the ellipses which indicate that the sequence continues on forever.

All in all, neither solve the paradox, for solving the paradox would be getting rid of the contradiction. For an actual solution see, again, Tarski.
>>
>>7850902
>This sentence is false.
That's correct. The sentence is false, so it is actually true (and not false) which makes the statement correct in that it is false.
>>
>>7851134
>This nigger never read Merriam Webster
But it isn't true so it's actually just is and thus is false. Have you eve wondered what those little words on your books mean, they explain the logic if you aren't illiterate. So I am neither true or false right now in that I am truly responding and yet cannot be proven true or false
True=7 False=8
7=/8
8=/7
Because (7)/(8) are abstractions of a thought used to denote the nature of truth= neither (7)/(8) so they can not be used to cancel one another out 7=/8
However the nature of truth=0
0=0
>>
>>7851161
·Ever
>>
READ WITTGENSTEIN
>>
>>7851212
>
>>
>>7851212
no
>>
wow op that's so deep, people who spend their whole life pondering word puzzlers sure are smart! philosophy is really a good way to spend ur life!
>>
>>7851212
>he fell for the "language is stoopid" meme
>>
the sentence is literally just "true = false"

there's nothing interesting about it
>>
>>7851285
No it isn't.
That's not how recursive self reference work.
>>
>>7851297
yes, it is. anything else you add on it is simply dressing to make yourself appear smart.
>>
>>7851310
No it isn't

True is false.

Is not the same sentence as

This sentence is false.

The second sentence is referring to itself.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.