[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your favorite books you know /lit has never read before.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-03-18-12-20-25--42806081.jpg (8 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-18-12-20-25--42806081.jpg
8 KB, 182x277
Post your favorite books you know /lit has never read before. recommend your favorite.
>because we don't actually read

Somerset Maugham - The razors edge
Paulo Lins - City of god
Jeff Noon - Vurt
Jeffrey Eugenides - The Virgin suicides
Larry McMurty - Lonesome dove
Philip K Dick - Ubik

Read Vurt
>>
>>7849916
I liked Of Human Bondage even more, favorite book. Did you read it?
>>
>>7849996
no I actually just picked it up this weekend. wasn't sure what to read next. I guess I'll give it a go.
>>
>>7849916
Ubik is great. Gonna put Vurt on my reading list.
I really just got into reading about two years ago but here are mine:
Thomas Bernhard - The Loser
William Faulkner - The Sound and the Fury
Flann O'Brien - The Third Policeman
David Ohle - Motorman

I'd rec Motorman because I don't think a lot of people here have read it
>>
>>7849916
Yeah, nobody on /lit/ read Philip K. Dick or Maugham. How new are you?
>>
>>7850031
books not authors.
>>
File: 1458870281757.jpg (3 MB, 1820x4348) Image search: [Google]
1458870281757.jpg
3 MB, 1820x4348
just trying to get a bunch of people to discuss books that aren't on this damn list for once
>>
>>7849996
I'm a huge fan of The Moon and Sixpence. Maugham super underrated.
>>
>>7849916
Yall should seriously read Leonardo Padura's the Man Who Loved Dogs.
>>
Op here. I will be noting down all suggestions. adding them to my library if i can find them and they aren't retarded.
>>
If you're interested in the USSR, Omon Ra by Victor Pelevin is really damn good. It's about a Soviet kid who grows up dreaming of being an astronaut and ends up being recruited into the training program, but the point is a look into the USSR's manufacturing of heroes and their obsession with reaching goals like the moon. I loved it.
>>
>>7850279
Also forgot to mention it's very short, more of a novella, easily readable in a few hours.
>>
>>7849916
>>7849996
>>7850240
Didn't know there were so many Maugham fans on /lit/. TMAS and TRE are great. Haven't read bondage yet. I also have the complete short stories
>>
>>7850287
okay I've seen the short stories a few times. is it 1 book or a series of books. the one I saw was pretty big and had a 1 on it. stupid question I know.
>>
Razor is great. Bondage is good.
>>
Russell banks - The sweet hereafter
the once and future king
Robert Penn Warren - all the kings men
Alan paton - cry, the beloved country
graham Greene - Brighton rock

I'd say read the once and future king. it's way better than you would ever think.i was really surprised
>>
The Night of the Iguana - Tennessee Williams
Conversation in the Cathedral - Vargas Llosa
Mad Toy - Roberto Arlt
>>
>>7850304
There are four volumes published of his short stories, they are some of the finest short fiction ever written and your soul will be poorer if you don't read them
>>
>>7850304

Maugham wrote quite a lot of short stories and in the 1960s they were consolidated into a complete short story collection which has three volumes. His short stories are where he's at his best and you're doing yourself a disservice if you just read his novels. Some of my favourites are

>The Three Fat Women of the Antibes
>Mackintosh
>The Yellow Streak
>The Creative Impulse
>The Book Bag
>The Hairless Mexican
>Sanitorium
>Flotsam and Jetsam
>>
>>7853606
don't worry nigz. I got the first volume for 1$ yesterday. I shall read next.
>>
File: 41exALMlh0L._SL1500_.jpg (15 KB, 306x500) Image search: [Google]
41exALMlh0L._SL1500_.jpg
15 KB, 306x500
>>
File: 91mcKtnZTzL._SL1500_.jpg (142 KB, 1015x1500) Image search: [Google]
91mcKtnZTzL._SL1500_.jpg
142 KB, 1015x1500
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.