[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know nothing about either of these two books but they are both
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: $_35.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
I know nothing about either of these two books but they are both on my read list. Which one should I start out with? Which one is better?
>>
>>7848803
They're both complete shit and Franzen's a hack. You'd honestly even be better off reading Tao Lin. That's how bad Franzen is.
>>
>>7848826
why is this guy so bad, exactly?
he seems to be reasonably well regarded outside /lit/ i think he was even on time magazine (i haven't read him, just curious)
>>
>>7848836
I've seen threads on the Corrections a couple times on /lit/ lately
>>
>>7848836
/lit/ has a love/hate relationship with him

i enjoyed the corrections but not enough to read freedom right away. i might get to it someday, though
>>
>>7848844
consensus?
>>
File: fuck you oprah.jpg (156 KB, 1345x549) Image search: [Google]
fuck you oprah.jpg
156 KB, 1345x549
>>7848836
I dunno, you tell me.

He's well regarded because Oprah sucked his cock on her show and people like her.
>>
>>7848870
>you will never go autismus maximus because oprah liked ur book

why even live lads
>>
>>7848836
He's not bad, he's just a douchebag. Anyway, The Corrections is a good book, dunno Freedom. The only thing I notice is that Corrections is like 10 years older and 80% more talked about, so that may be a reflection on their quality.
>>
>>7848877
It's weird because my copy of The Corrections is from about the same time the Freedom translation was coming out, and the translator (for both) sort of wanks Freedom as the work that will stand the test of time and how it makes the Corrections seem like a build-up and what not and still absolutely no one still talks about it.

Was this consensus or just a guy going full autist?
>>
>>7848895
There's no real consensus anymore. Freedom was a bestseller but it got mixed reviews. Purity got mixed reviews, was a bestseller for a brief period of time, but ultimately didn't sell as well as Freedom. And there's a building backlash against him by various people online. His heyday is over.
>>
>franzen

you could find more literary merit in a Tao Lin novel
>>
>>7848836
>he seems to be reasonably well regarded outside /lit/
Snobs hate him because unfortunately, Oprah happened to like his books. So he went immediately into bestseller.

>>7848803
Simple.
Corrections is a masterpiece.
Freedom is shit.

I suppose it's because Corrections is inspired by true events. While Freedom looks all made up, let's take the idealist/cuck, now the sexy bad guy, all stereotypes sounding like a schooboy essay.
As bad as World according to Garp, t.bh

>>7848895
>Freedom as the work that will stand the test of time and how it makes the Corrections seem like a build-up
kek
People always sell their latest work as their best work, the book of maturity.
>>
HOLY FUCK

i LITERALLY met johnathon franzen in a subway sandwich shop
i said "hey, jonathon franzen?" and he said hi and that he doesn't get recognized too often
I told him congratulations on Purity I heard it was doing well
he asked if I had a chance to read it yet
I was kind of taken aback and realized I hadn't read anything by him
I said "actually I haven't read any of your books yet"
he loudly scoffed and turned his torso away from me back to the sandwich artist (he was getting tuna sub) and said "well, don't put yourself out"
>>
Corrections is fine, Freedom is just another banal "muh American dream" novel
>>
>>7848966
>don't put yourself out
Holy fuck how did it feel to get buttblasted like that?
>>
>>7848966
was this before or after he complained about infetterance
>>
>>7848966
I met Pynchon in NY the other day..
Interrfeterence..

Etc
>>
>>7849028
i knew noone would believe me
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.